Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I find it very useful too... Dec 5, 2006

... believe me!!

My older brother -whom I adore- lives in Spain and we have talked more often and longer in the past weeks than we did in the past 6 years (when he left).

I also have a couple of very dear friends (former university buddies) off in Europe getting their PhDs, so you can guess how I've used -and abused- the system.

The thing is, I could still go online only to make said calls, rather that being online all day. That's where I'm trying to decide
... See more
... believe me!!

My older brother -whom I adore- lives in Spain and we have talked more often and longer in the past weeks than we did in the past 6 years (when he left).

I also have a couple of very dear friends (former university buddies) off in Europe getting their PhDs, so you can guess how I've used -and abused- the system.

The thing is, I could still go online only to make said calls, rather that being online all day. That's where I'm trying to decide which would be better.

Collapse

@caduceus (X)
@caduceus (X)
United States
Local time: 13:48
English to German
+ ...
change your privacy settings Dec 5, 2006

Andrea Riffo wrote:

Paula and Renate, I have never set my status on "skype me" for the very reasons you stated. Whenever I set it to "do not disturb" there is no problem... but when I have it on "connect" the requests begin.

I just found the following on the Skype website:

If you are getting chat messages or calls that you consider to be spam or abusive we suggest you use Skype's built in privacy settings to filter out any unwanted communications.

You can force Skype to only allow calls or chats from people in your Contacts list that you've authorized.

Select Tools -> Options -> Privacy

Check the box next to the option "Only people whom I have authorized can call" and/or the box "Only people whom I have authorized can start chat" and then save the changes.

Then random strangers and people not on your contact list cannot contact you anymore.
http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=503

Maybe this will help!

[Edited at 2006-12-05 04:45]

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to French
+ ...
Exactly Renate, Dec 5, 2006

That is indeed what I did, so new people who want to chat or talk with you have to ask you first if they can be on your list and if you want to be on their list. Since then nobody "strange" has called me.

Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:48
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Change your status Dec 5, 2006

Andrea Riffo wrote:

... believe me!!

The thing is, I could still go online only to make said calls, rather that being online all day. That's where I'm trying to decide which would be better.

All you have to do is change your online status to "Not available" and you will stop receiving ALL of those junk messages. I got a lot of C_-_-_-_ until I decided that I did not respond to anybody and finally decided to change my status.
On the other hand it is really cheap to make international calls to telephone numbers in any place of the world and the quality cannot be better.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Settings Dec 5, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

I think that there is an option to refuse to be contacted by unknown people. Maybe you could use that, anyway, others will be able to find you in the Skype Directory and they will be able to request to be accepted. I don’t know where this option is.

Claudia

Tools/options/privacy/allow calls from...

I use it a lot with existing clients because it's so much quicker than E-mail ping-pong.

Also - if your E-mail server were down, (obviously not your Internet connection) you can also send files.

It's very useful and saves time.

Chris

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can anyone just start to chat with you??? Dec 6, 2006

Andrea Riffo wrote:
I usually reply "thanks, but no thanks, read my profile message", and one person actually replied "if U don't want to talk then why do U have skype?"

I thought people needed to submit a request to you to be added to your contact list before they can chat with you. And besides, where do these people get your details... are you listed in some public directory or something?

1- Is is really an asset when working with overseas outsourcers, or can MSN or Yahoo take its place?

Any IM system is a boon, I have found. I was skeptical a year ago, but now I regularly chat with certain clients. I never initiate a non-job related conversation with them, but some of the clients sometimes initiate short chats about things in their lives, and this helps build a relationship, I think.

3- If I check, "only my contacts can call me/chat", can new contacts still ask me to add them?

I'm not sure, but I think that must be the authorisation request thingy I was talking about previously.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
settings Dec 6, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

I thought people needed to submit a request to you to be added to your contact list before they can chat with you. And besides, where do these people get your details... are you listed in some public directory or something?

That's what I thought too, but apparently my info (what's left of it) can come up in a skype search if it fits. In order to chat with me, I do have to authorise them, apparently, but anyone can call me (skype to skype, have not published my phone number anywhere), or try to.

I guess what bothers me the most (besides the interruption when I'm swamped) is the rudeness: not one person so far has so much as hinted how they found me, nor introduced themselves, nothing.

If I check, "only my contacts can call me/chat", can new contacts still ask me to add them?

I'm not sure, but I think that must be the authorisation request thingy I was talking about previously.

I clicked this mode in order to avoid unwanted calls and so far, it's worked. Since skype's appeal is being able to talk, and not IM, last day was a call-free day

Thanks everyone for your input!..

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Skype worth the hassle??

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »