Alternative to Yahoo Groups?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
English to Swedish
Dec 5, 2006

We are a bunch of translators who live in the same area that try to meet once a month or so in a pub for a chat and a quiz. We also have a Yahoo Group where we ask questions, make arrangements for the next "meeting" and generally chit chat.
The last couple of months we've had problems with the mails that keep dropping in erratically and not always in the right order, which makes the answers and comments quite confusing.
To the point: Does someone know of any alternatives to the Yahoo Groups for mailing lists?

Best regards,
Cecilia

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
French to English
+ ...
Google groups? Dec 5, 2006

Google now has a groups facility - I am a member of one extremely low-traffic Google group, so can't tell how good it is. But in case you feel like investigating:

http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en

Maureen Wilkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
same problem with Yahoo Groups Dec 5, 2006

Hello Cecilia, I've had exactly the same problem with a Yahoo group I belong to. The messages get delivered late or in the wrong order. I've had to go online to check the messages. I thought that it was maybe my Internet provider holding messages to check for spam. I may need to contact Yahoo to find out what's happening.

Maureen

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Too much traffic? Dec 5, 2006

Hello Angela,
Thanks for the tip, I will definitly look into this.

Hi Maureen, please let me know if you find something out. This is also affecting another much larger mailing list for Swedish translators that I am also on. Could it be that there is just to much traffic going through Yahoo these days?

Somebody gave me the tip to use an alternative UK address, but it does not seem to help much (and creates a lot of hassle as you have to keep changing the address when you want to answer a mail).

Cecilia

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Orkut Dec 5, 2006

That's an alternative. www.orkut.com
Regards,
ritu

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
All 3rd party groups fail sooner or later Dec 6, 2006

Cecilia Falk wrote:
To the point: Does someone know of any alternatives to the Yahoo Groups for mailing lists?

There are many, but you get what you pay for. And you don't pay anything, do you? So when a mailing list host gets bloated or otherwise stuffed, you will always experience a delay or broken service. GoogleGroups will go the same route, I think. But GoogleGroups is new, and will perhaps offer better service for the time being, until the next big services comes along in two or three years' time. This is just my opinion.

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2007)
German to English
Intended informationally Dec 6, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Cecilia Falk wrote:

There are many, but you get what you pay for. And you don't pay anything, do you? So when a mailing list host gets bloated or otherwise stuffed, you will always experience a delay or broken service.

Yup, many are available. Folks can even set up their own using ListServ software. YahooGroups is based on this technique. (It's better if the computer with the ListServ software is running 24/7.)

Samuel Murray wrote:

GoogleGroups will go the same route, I think. But GoogleGroups is new, and will perhaps offer better service for the time being, until the next big services comes along in two or three years' time. This is just my opinion.

That depends upon what part of GoogleGroups you're talking about. A section of Groups links into the much older "UseNet" NewsGroups. Those predate HTTP and browsers. Some examples include the entire alt.* tree, comp.*, rec.*, etc.

I'm uncertain if Google is building their newer groups using NNTP-server software, or something proprietary.

Some email programs can access them directly, including Thunderbird & Outlook Express (but not Outlook, last I looked anyway). There are also special tools for accessing those groups, some free. _If_ one chooses to access them, the main thing is too look for keywords like "Newsgroups" or "NNTP".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternative to Yahoo Groups?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs