https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/67138-how_to_upload_a_webpage.html

How to upload a webpage
Thread poster: Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I recently finished working on my own homepage (very simple Frontpage piece of art), but I now have problems uploading it to the webpage.
I was wondering if anyone of you happens to be a webmaster and can help me out with this. Perhaps some additional work is needed, but as I said before, it's a very simple webpage. I know I could look for such help elsewhere, but I am confident there are IT professionals among the members of this community.
Please, cont
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I recently finished working on my own homepage (very simple Frontpage piece of art), but I now have problems uploading it to the webpage.
I was wondering if anyone of you happens to be a webmaster and can help me out with this. Perhaps some additional work is needed, but as I said before, it's a very simple webpage. I know I could look for such help elsewhere, but I am confident there are IT professionals among the members of this community.
Please, contact me in private for further details, payment method, etc.
Thank you all and have a great day!
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 17:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
All what you need... Feb 28, 2007

Hi Nina,

You need an FTP software such as Cute FTP to do that job or you can do that directly through Dreamweaver.

You will be asked for:

User name:
Password:
IP of hosting server:

Kind regards

Ramon Ortega
Ramon Ortega
Spain
Local time: 15:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
FrontPage support Feb 28, 2007

Hi there,

Check with you ISP (Internet Service Provider) whether they provide FrontPage support, aka FrontPage Extensions. If so, you can publish your web site with FrontPage, details at http://www.microsoftfrontpage.com/content/articles/pub_fp.html

Otherwise you'll need to upload your site via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) which is like coping file
... See more
Hi there,

Check with you ISP (Internet Service Provider) whether they provide FrontPage support, aka FrontPage Extensions. If so, you can publish your web site with FrontPage, details at http://www.microsoftfrontpage.com/content/articles/pub_fp.html

Otherwise you'll need to upload your site via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) which is like coping files from your local folder into a remote one.

If you can't avail of CuteFTP, you can use Internet Explorer to do so. Just type in the FTP path (URL) provided by your ISP in the address bar, e.g:

ftp://ftpserver/myfolder

you'll surely get an error message, dismiss it and select File from the menu bar, choose Login As which will open the Login As dialog box prompting you to enter your user name and password.

Also note that some ISP's might requiere you to activate the service choosing or changing your password and a name for your remote folder.

Good luck!
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:11
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You can put it right here, as a member Feb 28, 2007

Maybe this will help?

http://www.proz.com/faq/hosting

and http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/getting_started#frontpage

Good luck
Chris

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Feb 28, 2007

Hi Nina,

Like others have said, a simple (free) FTP program will do.

I just want to add that Frontpage uses some IE-specific (propietary) tags which could make your website hard to read in other browsers such as Firefox.

Greetings
Andrea

Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First of all, thank you all Mar 1, 2007

... for your advice.
Ahmad, I downloaded the Cute FTP and it really does seem to be very simple to use. I also checked the links recommended by Ramon and Chris, which seem to be very useful.
Also, thanks Andrea for the warning about the disadvantages of Frontpage (heard that before, but I can only manage Frontpage).
The thing is that I have already purchased the domain a long time ago and I have tried practically everything to make the site work, so my guess is that my page str
... See more
... for your advice.
Ahmad, I downloaded the Cute FTP and it really does seem to be very simple to use. I also checked the links recommended by Ramon and Chris, which seem to be very useful.
Also, thanks Andrea for the warning about the disadvantages of Frontpage (heard that before, but I can only manage Frontpage).
The thing is that I have already purchased the domain a long time ago and I have tried practically everything to make the site work, so my guess is that my page structure just isn't well built.
I am a complete amateur at these things, and besides working&studying I really don't have much time left to invest it into learning a new webpage programme (although I wouldn't mind).
Therefore, if anyone of you can make a webpage in any other/ a better programme and publish it on the web (I will provide the necessary information), I would be very interested to hear from you or to recieve an offer of your services.
I believe it's a simple job for someone experienced but one that will take me forever.
Have a very nice day...!
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Directory Mar 1, 2007

Hello Nina,

What does your directory say? Mine has the following folders:

.autorespond
.cpanel-datastore
.spamassassin
.sqmaildata
.trash
etc
mail
public_ftp
public_html
tmp

To activate the website, I uploaded the loose files to the www folder.

Nina Snoj
Nina Snoj
Slovenia
Spanish to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hola Andrea Mar 1, 2007

I just sent you a message in private.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 17:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
I can help Mar 1, 2007

Dear Nina,
As a web designer beside being a translator I can help in this regard.

If interested kindly email me in private.

Kind regards

Paul Betts
Paul Betts  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:11
French to English
I may be a little late... Apr 26, 2007

Hi Nina,

I just arrived in this forum... and although I am sure you have resolved your challenges via the competences of Ahmad, I am also happy to lend you a hand (or anyone else in this forum) with any future FTP / design or 'being found in search engine issues' questions... as that's what I do!

Best regards,

Paul
Franglix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to upload a webpage

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »