https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/73272-cant_attach_documents_with_gmail_account.html

Can't attach documents with Gmail account
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:48
French to Portuguese
+ ...
May 16, 2007

It had been some time now that I'm trying to attach my translations in my gmail account and gmail gets stuck and doesn't even open my documents in order to attach the files.

Has this happen with anyone else?

Thank you in advance for any comment or advice.

Best
Ivana

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:48
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Check Your Internet Traffic Flow May 17, 2007

This only happened to me when the Internet traffic flow was not good. Check your Internet connections and restart your Internet.

[Edited at 2007-05-17 00:12]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Common Problem with G-mail May 17, 2007

Hi,
I don't know the reason but this happens quite often with G-mail. And in these cases I send translations through my other e-mail accounts.
I know it doesn't help you but at least you know that you are not the only one who faces this problem.
Best regards,
Ritu Bhanot

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:48
Russian to English
I have trouble with large files May 17, 2007

If I am sending a very large file, like an .rtf or a powerpoint presentation, then I usually have to compress them into a ZIP or RAR file before I can send them using gmail. That always works for me.

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
a checklist May 17, 2007

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

It had been some time now that I'm trying to attach my translations in my gmail account and gmail gets stuck and doesn't even open my documents in order to attach the files.

Has this happen with anyone else?

Thank you in advance for any comment or advice.

Best
Ivana

Hello Ivana,

There are many potential causes to file transmission-related problems.

1) Your file may be too large (try zipping it).
2) The filename may be too long or include accented characters (try changing the name to something simple).
3) Your firewall may not allow uploading files via HTTP protocol (this is unlikely, but do try to disable your firewall for a moment).
4) Your provider may not allow uploading files via HTTP (this is highly unlikely, but possible).
5) Your network card/router/hub may be broken (this is the last resort; but please do bear in mind that a network card may be broken in such a way that it perfectly allows any transmission apart from files (sic!)).

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answers May 17, 2007

This only happened to me when the Internet traffic flow was not good. Check your Internet connections and restart your Internet.

This happens everytime I want to do it, so I don't think it's an Internet connection problem, but thank you anyway Shirley.

I don't know the reason but this happens quite often with G-mail. And in these cases I send translations through my other e-mail accounts.
I know it doesn't help you but at least you know that you are not the only one who faces this problem.

Thank you, Ritu. Yes, at least I know it's a common problem. But it's so pointless to have an account such as gmail and cannot use it appropriately... Strange enough, I have clients who only use their gmail account to send me work and I always receive the attachments.

If I am sending a very large file, like an .rtf or a powerpoint presentation, then I usually have to compress them into a ZIP or RAR file before I can send them using gmail. That always works for me.

Hi Megan. I can't even get the dialog box with my documents. When I click in "attach file" it gets immediately stuck.

3) Your firewall may not allow uploading files via HTTP protocol (this is unlikely, but do try to disable your firewall for a moment).
4) Your provider may not allow uploading files via HTTP (this is highly unlikely, but possible).
5) Your network card/router/hub may be broken (this is the last resort; but please do bear in mind that a network card may be broken in such a way that it perfectly allows any transmission apart from files (sic!)).

Hi Adam. Thank you for these tips. I will check them.

I am also thinking about something else. I've got this file sharing programme - Pando - and I'm going to remove it in order to see if it's a problem with it because its icon appears when I try to attach a file through gmail and it doesn't happen with my other Internet accounts.

Thank you all.

filipa ceia
filipa ceia  Identity Verified
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Never happened May 17, 2007

So far, no problems attaching files when using my gmail account, which is my main e-mail account due to the heavy files I receive/send.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:48
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have a love-hate affair May 17, 2007

with my gmail. It is my main account, almost the only one I use, but it is a tough love affair. For months now, there are periods during the day in which I can NOT send attachments at all. It will time out on me and tell me to try again in 5 seconds.
I spoke with the techies at gmail, and none of their suggestions worked. I even opened another gmail account, thinking to use it just for attachment sending, but it pulled the same thing on me. The techies had no real answer for me, and said t
... See more
with my gmail. It is my main account, almost the only one I use, but it is a tough love affair. For months now, there are periods during the day in which I can NOT send attachments at all. It will time out on me and tell me to try again in 5 seconds.
I spoke with the techies at gmail, and none of their suggestions worked. I even opened another gmail account, thinking to use it just for attachment sending, but it pulled the same thing on me. The techies had no real answer for me, and said that it was a glitch (thanks guys!). Luckily, I find persistence usually wins over the machine, and stuff has not yet been delayed for more than an hour.
The problem is, I love everything else about gmail...
I look forward to seeing if someone can solve your problem, and maybe mine will clear up too.
Good luck!
Collapse

La Classe
La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
French to English
+ ...
Internet problem May 17, 2007

Hi!

It happened with me often, you know it happened because of the Internet failure. Some time when the internet is down then the files or the mail is unable to go and we got the message something "oopps..." but after sometime I could send the mail or file once the internet works properly.

Manohar

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Internet Connection May 17, 2007

Hi,

I don't think it has anything to do with internet connection or weight of the attachment because it happens even when internet is working perfectly fine and you can actually send or save the e-mail without attachment. And you can actually send the same attachment at some other point of time.

So there is definitely some problem but we don't know where.

Any other ideas?

Ritu

Jean-Philippe Drécourt
Jean-Philippe Drécourt  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
Use Eudora May 18, 2007

I use Eudora in combination with the POP facility of Gmail, and I never had any problem with attachment. The configuration is relatively straight forward as it is detailed in the help pages of Gmail.

This has the double advantage of having a local backup of your communication in case of problem on Gmail/Internet and an electronic backup in (a more likely) case of local failure of your computer.

And it's quicker too as you don't have to explicitly open a browser to read
... See more
I use Eudora in combination with the POP facility of Gmail, and I never had any problem with attachment. The configuration is relatively straight forward as it is detailed in the help pages of Gmail.

This has the double advantage of having a local backup of your communication in case of problem on Gmail/Internet and an electronic backup in (a more likely) case of local failure of your computer.

And it's quicker too as you don't have to explicitly open a browser to read a new email, as it will be downloaded automatically by Eudora.

I mention Eudora because it's free but you can use any other local mail client as well, like Outlook.

Good luck,

JP
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
More troubleshooting tips May 21, 2007

Hi Ivana and all,

Pretty much the same issue was reported by another Proz user not long ago! It turned out, he got spyware/trojans/BHO ("browser helper objects") that has contaminated the computer and keeps obstructing browser functionality:
http://www.proz.com/post/522886#522886

In my ears, it sounds like you've got exactly the same problem!

For this ot
... See more
Hi Ivana and all,

Pretty much the same issue was reported by another Proz user not long ago! It turned out, he got spyware/trojans/BHO ("browser helper objects") that has contaminated the computer and keeps obstructing browser functionality:
http://www.proz.com/post/522886#522886

In my ears, it sounds like you've got exactly the same problem!

For this other Proz user, all issues disappeared when he started using Firefox instead. If you really still need Internet Explorer (maybe for downloading Windows Updates, or online banking), make sure you run Spybot S&D + Hijackthis to clean up. I posted more tips on the usage in the previous thread above.

Despite all other postings in this thread, nobody mentioned the most basic troubleshooting tips yet:

1. Does the problem occur with other web services? Ie. register with Yahoo or Hotmail just to compare. Can you upload files with them? Then you have a gmail-specific issue (poor capacity on google's servers?!).

2. Download another browser like Firefox, and log in to Gmail. Does it help? In that case, your Internet Explorer installation has been compromized/contaminated.

3. Plug in a laptop or other computer into the same ethernet connection. Ask a friend to come over if you don't have one yourself. Does that help? In that case, you can eliminate firewall/internet connectivity problems. That means that the issue exists in your computer.

Try these three elementary steps first, and report back with your results.

Good luck,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-21 08:03]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Gmail problems today? May 22, 2007

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing problems with gmail today?
Can't access it at all anymore.

Best,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No more problems since I uninstalled Pando from PC May 24, 2007

Pando is a software you can get online for sending and receiving large files and I downloaded it a while ago (actually by the time I got my gmail account) to receive a big document from a client.

The e-mail address attached to Pando was gmail's. When I thought about it I uninstalled Pando and didn't have anymore problems.

I hope it will lasts...

Thank you all for you input.

Regards
Ivana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't attach documents with Gmail account

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »