Files on FTP server but website not showing
Thread poster: Denyce Seow

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 14:37
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
May 30, 2007

I am not an expert in using Frontpage, but a few months ago I did manage to get my website up using this programme. Now I am helping a friend with his website. Everything went on quite smoothly until the very last step. I managed to use the 'Publish Web' function to get the files on the ftp server but nothing shows when I enter the URL in the browser! What could be the problem?

Help...

Denyce

[Edited at 2007-05-30 21:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:37
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
just some ideas... May 31, 2007

- Did you check to change the FTP settings to the new site? You might have set them the first time, when you uploaded your own site, because Frontpage asked for new settings. This time it might use the settings you´ve entered before...

- Did you try with the domain name your friend bought, or with the "official" (the hosing location). If you can access it with the hosting name (http://123.123.1.1/~yoursite your problem is the DNS forwarding, something you have to solve through the settings of the domain.

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
did you upload to the right folder May 31, 2007

like html or htpdocs.

You may have uploaded the site to a wrong location.

Also, if the FTP had already an index file, you may want to delete it.

My 2 cents

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Denyce May 31, 2007

If the files have been uploaded successfully, this may be a problem of the index file. Some servers use "index.htm" as start file, others use "index.html". Try saving your index file with both "htm" and "html" extensions and upload both.

Or, as Michael said above, you may need to create a specific folder to upload your files. Different providers use different folder names, you should check this with them.

But in general, I think Frontpage is not a very good choice for uploading sites. If you use a simpler program like Windows Commander, you'll be able to see what you have uploaded, where, and manipulate with the files both on your computer and on the server.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Counter-check with another ftp client May 31, 2007

Hi Denyce and all,

You already got some good advice.
Here's some more:

1. Use another freeware/shareware ftp client (like CuteFTP), and check that all files are present. Verify that the folder structure is correct. Also verify the timestamp of the uploaded files.

2. When this happened to me, it was always some confusion about the root level. Sometimes the index file resides in the root, sometimes one level down. To be sure, move the folder structure and index file up/down one step.

3. When you say that "nothing shows when I enter the URL in the browser", do you mean that the entire page is blank? Or a 404 error? Or that you see an earlier revision of the index file that was previously uploaded?
In that case, you might want to clear your browser cache.

Post your results back here...

Good luck,

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-05-31 07:46]

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 14:37
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved May 31, 2007

Hi all,

The problem is solved. It was not my fault afterall. The guy who owns the server said it was his fault. I don't really know what happened, but I am glad the website is up. Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions. Much appreciated...

Have a nice day!

Denyce

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Files on FTP server but website not showing

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs