Mobile menu

Suspect email saying Hotmail account is going to be cancelled. Has anyone received the same e-mail?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:19
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

I've just received an e-mail allegedly from the hotmail team - services@msnmessenger.com - with CC to this same address.

The message says that if I won't click a certain link in 24h my account is going to be blocked because: - the site is overcharged and they are updating it and - the bad access to my e-mail forces them to cancel my account.

If I click the link I will have to insert data, but I am afraid o do so.

The strange thing is that
1) I've received an e-mail some time ago considered as spam saying that hotmail account were to be cancelled due to those reasons

2) the e-mail is written in portuguese and, as I registered in Switzerland, I usually have the site and receive all their newsletters in French.

Has anyone received the same e-mail?

Do you think it's true?

Thank you in advance,
Ivana

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-20 14:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 02:19
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
NOT true! Jun 20, 2007

hello Ivana,

No I haven't received this e-mail recently but I have received many similar ones on previous occasions, and I'm definite that it's not true so don't worry much about it.

All the best

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The e-mail has got the following layout Jun 20, 2007

I think this is also strange. There are no ads, no signs from hotmail.

------------------------------------------

Prezado usuário, seu e-mail esta em processo de expiração, dentro de 24 horas se não for feito um recadastramento seu e-mail sera automaticamente apagado de nossos sistemas.

Motivos:

- Sobrecargas nos servidores Hotmail, estamos fazendo atualizações para realmente saber
quais usuarios usam nossos serviços.
- O mau acesso a seu email, nos torna obrigatoriamente a cancelar sua conta.

Siga os passos abaixo:
- Realize a atualização do MSN Support clicando no link abaixo, em seguida abrir.
Recastramento do Correio eletronico [Reativar sua conta]

- Logo após entre em nosso site e atualize seus dados cadastrais.
Atenção: Site desenvolvido em Flash, para melhor visualização utilize a ultima versão do Macromedia Flash Player.
Patch de Atualização Aqui.

Esta mensagem serve unicamente como notificação, e nao serão monitoradas respostas.

- Equipe Hotmail © 2007 e seus fornecedores. Todos os direitos reservados.

---------------------------

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:19
English to Latvian
it's really suspicious Jun 20, 2007

Hi,

I think you might better contact the real Hotmail support service as quick as you can.

Dewinta Maharani  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
New Kind of Spam Jun 20, 2007

You are right! That must be a new kind of spam. I don't receive such email in my hotmail inbox.

[Edited at 2007-06-20 10:40]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:19
English to Swedish
+ ...
Hoax Jun 20, 2007

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

I've just received an e-mail allegedly from the hotmail team - services@msnmessenger.com - with CC to this same address.

The message says that if I won't click a certain link in 24h my account is going to be blocked because: - the site is overcharged and they are updating it and - the bad access to my e-mail forces them to cancel my account.

This is a classic hoax, just ignore it!
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/another-hotmail-hoax.shtml

And the domain from where the message was sent doesn't exist either:
http://www.msnmessenger.com/

If you read the Hotmail Policy, you'll find out that the accounts are only closed if you don't log in for 30 days. As long as you do that, you have nothing to worry about.
http://help.msn.com/(ZmlsdGVyPURIX0ZSRUUmcHJvamVjdD1ob3RtYWlscGltdjEwJm1hcmtldD1lbi1VUyZjdT0mdG10PUhvdG1haWxQSU12MTAma2M9JmZvcm1hdD0=)/Help.aspx?market=enUS&project=HotmailPIMv10&querytype=topic&query=PIM_CONC_AcctPolicies.htm

No need to contact Hotmail support, this chainmail has been sent around the net a thousand times...

/Jan

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I wouldn't trust it Jun 20, 2007

I agree with Evija - contact Hotmailsupport.
The Swiss site doesn't seem to mention any of this. (ch.msn.com) and I think it would if they were going to do something like this.

Alison Jenner
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
Ignore it Jun 20, 2007

I completely agree with everyone above. For one thing, if this was true it would be mentioned on the msn/ hotmail website, and I also think you would get more than one warning. Secondly, I'm always suspicious of links asking you to fill in personal data for no real reason - if you didn't use the account much, all you should need to do for your hotmail account to be kept active is actually log in to it according to the hotmail FAQ.

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input Jun 20, 2007

I contacted the hotmail support, anyway.

I haven't had any answer from them so far, but I am not worried anymore about this issue.

Thank you all.

Regards
Ivana

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Just another hoax Jun 20, 2007

I got it too, 5 times in the last two weeks - so did some of my MSN contacts, but not everybody.
Turns out it´s just a hoax, yes, ignore it

Here is a very useful (French) website that lists and updates all existing hoaxes - if you receive a suspicious e-mail, you can browse through this site and find out if it´s a hoax or not - I use it myself quite a lot : www.hoaxbuster.com

Regards
Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suspect email saying Hotmail account is going to be cancelled. Has anyone received the same e-mail?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs