Mobile menu

Off topic: Trouble with Yahoo mailbox
Thread poster: Teresa Bento

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 26, 2007

I don't know if any of you have experienced anytthing this weird with your Yahoo mailbox.
I seem to be able to send e-mails, but I'm unable to get replies... It's been a chaos, because I've been unable to communicate properly with my clients. Does anyone know why this is happening and what can I do in order to get my mailbox working?
I've been using an alternative e-mail address, but I really wanted to solve this problem and keep on using my Yahoo account.
Help, please!!

Direct link Reply with quote

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
Member (2007)
German to English
Have you contacted Yahoo? Jun 26, 2007

Hi Teresa,

I don't think you have to declare your Yahoo account dead just yet. It's probably a technical glitch, such as the failure of a POP server. Potentially, someone tried to send you a file, which is larger than Yahoo allows ( > 28? Mb).

Since you can still send, I suspect the problem is a POP issue unless you're using the IMAP protocol. Receiving through the POP protocol and sending via the SMTP protocol is not uncommon.

Since I don't use Yahoo, I can't say exactly what the problem is. It really is best to contact Yahoo, be patient and be thankful that you had the foresight to set up an alternate account.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:12
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Short term solution Jun 26, 2007

Hi Teresa

What I am suggesting is a short term solution to a short term problem.

Set forwarding of emails from your yahoo account to another more reliable - let's say Gmail. This way you won't have to give your clients a new email address and once the problem is over you'll just cancel forwarding.

Or as an afterthought - maybe that's what you've already done by accident and all your emails are being forwarded to another account ant thus are not available in Yahoo inbox.

Best Regards

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have had this problem Jun 26, 2007

I've had this same problem with Yahoo, and that's why I now use it only for personal e-mails. I do all my business communication with Gmail, which is much better, because you can save all your e-mails and then search them later if you need to.

In any case, it's always a good Idea to have more than one e-mail account.

Good luck!

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same problem Jun 26, 2007

I've been having similar problems with my Yahoo as well, and not just with large files...

I'm now asking all my clients to copy me at my Gmail address as well, and I've also set the automatic forwarding, but it has been a real problem...stuff shows up hours later or simply not at all.

I think I will end up gradually switching over to gmail altogether.

Local time: 17:12
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Received some messages with a few days of delay Jul 2, 2007

I have not exactly experienced the same problem but there have been times recently that I received some messages with a few days of delay.

These were not large messages with attachments at all but simple short text messages. I do not know the cause of the delay.

I hope Yahoo is aware of it, and takes action to solve it (just wishful thinking here!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with Yahoo mailbox

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs