google earth pro is no different to google earth free
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
Jul 9, 2007

I do not understand why they need €400,- or a pro version. I just saw proz.com HQ, it was a very interesting journey, exploring various places of my other clients around the globe. Brandis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For personal use Jul 9, 2007

Brandis wrote:
I do not understand why they need €400,- or a pro version.

The free version is only free for personal use. If you want to use the free version for business purposes, you would be in breach of your agreement with Google. Have you used the free version for business purposes? Then you've done no different than if you had downloaded Windows Vista from Pirate Bay, or some similar act.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 9, 2007

Hi! I do not have the vaguest idea, of how I could use for my business purposes. Visiting a customer´s location in Atlanta and see all the surrounding pictures has nothing to do with translation. Just playing around, but that tool is good. Actully I was using the free edition and it was good, so tried also a 7 days limited keyed version and did not find any difference between the two. I wonder who or which branch of business would need it as a professional edition and would gladly pay USD400,-... See more
Hi! I do not have the vaguest idea, of how I could use for my business purposes. Visiting a customer´s location in Atlanta and see all the surrounding pictures has nothing to do with translation. Just playing around, but that tool is good. Actully I was using the free edition and it was good, so tried also a 7 days limited keyed version and did not find any difference between the two. I wonder who or which branch of business would need it as a professional edition and would gladly pay USD400,- Brandis

[Edited at 2007-07-09 12:50]
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
business use Jul 9, 2007

If you want to print pictures from Google Earth on your business documents, or publish them on your businessl Website, for instance to show where all your clients are located, or any other use, then you need a licence.

I suppose travel agencies can make business use of Google Earth, also estate agents, hotels, tourism organisations ...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 9, 2007

nordiste wrote:

If you want to print pictures from Google Earth on your business documents, or publish them on your businessl Website, for instance to show where all your clients are located, or any other use, then you need a licence.

I suppose travel agencies can make business use of Google Earth, also estate agents, hotels, tourism organisations ...

cool that is a tip. I just wondered what one could do with it. But I could take a screen record and put it on my business documents, do I need a license for that. Actually anyone can take a screen record. Brandis

[Edited at 2007-07-09 15:21]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Anyone can take a screenshot Jul 9, 2007

Brandis wrote:
But I could take a screen record and put it on my business documents, do I need a license for that. Actually anyone can take a screen record.

True, anyone can take a screenshot, but to use it in a commercial setting, you need permission, otherwise you're in breach of copyright (unless fair use or fair usage apply).

Actually I think the issue with screenshots is more complex than that, but copyright issues will certainly play a part. Even if you use Google Earth Pro, you may still need additional permission for certain types of map publishing. Remember, buying GE Pro entitles you to commercial use, but commercial use does not mean royalty-free republishing. But I'm speculating here -- the terms and conditions of the GE Pro packages would likely contain the truth somewhere in it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@samuel! I had meant however somewhat differently Jul 9, 2007

Hi! Here it is, One of the arguments GE pro has that higher screen resolution, while I am getting the same resolution depth using the same card on GE free. The Pro issue did not read out into any complex legal nature and or of complications of such usage of such pictures of GE pro, they are the same. I did not see any detailed outlined issues in GE pro which I feel are not there in GE normal. When I can take a screen shot of GE normal and use.....I hope you knwo now what I am trying to explain..... See more
Hi! Here it is, One of the arguments GE pro has that higher screen resolution, while I am getting the same resolution depth using the same card on GE free. The Pro issue did not read out into any complex legal nature and or of complications of such usage of such pictures of GE pro, they are the same. I did not see any detailed outlined issues in GE pro which I feel are not there in GE normal. When I can take a screen shot of GE normal and use.....I hope you knwo now what I am trying to explain.... where is the extraness of commercial usage. Peronally I think they have limited this to certain regions in N.America and europe. Actually this should or could be classified as off-topic. BrandisCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

google earth pro is no different to google earth free

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »