Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 01:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 15, 2007

Two inquiries
1. I 've got a mail [MSN account]where I'm asking to login to a weird site, with my alternate mail [yahoo account] or the old password of this latter [ this password was written in the body of the message ] How did they get the old password of the alternate mail?

2. How can someone steal a proz member's account?
He should already have user's password at least, yes?

TIA!

Babette Piaget
Babette Piaget  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:46
English to German
+ ...
More details! Jul 15, 2007

TIA,

can you explain the problem a little better. What do you mean with somebody stealing your ProZ identity?

Babette

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The two questions are totally separated. Jul 15, 2007

Hi Babette!

For the first, I would like to know how my old password of yahoo account could be sent like that in the body of a message.
Concerning the second one, it really happened for proz member, fortunately not me, but I would like to know how it could be.

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Like you say, the questions ARE totally separated... Jul 15, 2007

... and I don't think you'll find answers in the fora...

If you think somebody stole a ProZ account, I think you should submit a support ticket to the staff, and be a little bit more specific, for example reveal the identity of the victim. There is no way "normal" members are able to help you with this question.

Regarding Yahoo, it sounds very strange to me, but if it happened to you, or somebody you know, I'm pretty sure you'll have to ask for help at the Yahoo staff.
... See more
... and I don't think you'll find answers in the fora...

If you think somebody stole a ProZ account, I think you should submit a support ticket to the staff, and be a little bit more specific, for example reveal the identity of the victim. There is no way "normal" members are able to help you with this question.

Regarding Yahoo, it sounds very strange to me, but if it happened to you, or somebody you know, I'm pretty sure you'll have to ask for help at the Yahoo staff. The chance that something similar happened to a ProZ member is close to zero...
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one pool of time Jul 16, 2007

is the link between both.

About yahoo acount, that's drive me crazy.

But for the proz member I guess the hacker should have at least the old password, and this is what I'm asking about.

Thnx Riens!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Did you sign up with TrueSwitch or similar? Jul 16, 2007

If so, it's just fine. This co. cooperates with Yahoo! If you want to change your Yahoo! account and sign up with them, they will forward your entire account including old emails and address book and, if you wish, send notifications to the people in your address book regarding your address change. Then they send you emails that include your old address and send you to their website for confirmation.

Provided, you signed up with them.

Did you use this Yahoo!-Service to
... See more
If so, it's just fine. This co. cooperates with Yahoo! If you want to change your Yahoo! account and sign up with them, they will forward your entire account including old emails and address book and, if you wish, send notifications to the people in your address book regarding your address change. Then they send you emails that include your old address and send you to their website for confirmation.

Provided, you signed up with them.

Did you use this Yahoo!-Service to change your account?

Once there was a translator, who translated a lot of legal stuff and websites and therefore knows this stuff by heart...

If it's a different address, I would be careful, too.

Edit: This one and all serious companies will offer you to copy the link into your browser instead of clicking on the link provided in their email and will also provide their full address so you can check first. But you knew that already, right?

[Edited at 2007-07-16 15:24]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Spyware, malware, ... Jul 16, 2007

It may be possible for some types of spyware, such as keyloggers, to capture passwords and other data as the user keys them in. The ability of the malware to do so might depend on the security of the password entry screen. A user may also save a list of passwords in a computer file with weak encryption or none at all. The clipboard is also another weak spot for stealing data, depending on system and application security.

Also, many internet sites with weak security policies send pa
... See more
It may be possible for some types of spyware, such as keyloggers, to capture passwords and other data as the user keys them in. The ability of the malware to do so might depend on the security of the password entry screen. A user may also save a list of passwords in a computer file with weak encryption or none at all. The clipboard is also another weak spot for stealing data, depending on system and application security.

Also, many internet sites with weak security policies send password info to the user via normal email or through a browser window in response to user queries, these are easy to steal, hacking software, or the hacker himself, can then try the same password on the user's logins on other more secure sites.

Phishing is also a major culprit in stealing passwords and other sensitive information.

These are some of the possibilities. To protect password information, a user has to have adequate protection against malware, use different passwords between different sites, and not keep passwords in text format. It is also important to know how to recognize phishing email and websites and to avoid falling for them.

In summary, never cut corners with security. Keep windows up-to-date, always renew the lincenses for your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and othe security apps and keep their databases updated daily, or at least weekly.

One last thing, it is very important that you report the stolen proz.com profile to support.

[Edited at 2007-07-16 16:25]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:46
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

To report this issue to ProZ.com Jul 16, 2007

Please submit a support request. When you do, please provide the message he received along with the expanded headers. If you're not sure how to expand the headers in a message, you will find a helpful link here: http://www.proz.com/faq/mail#mail_headers

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A public computer? Jul 16, 2007

MAllaqui wrote:

2. How can someone steal a proz member's account?
He should already have user's password at least, yes?

A possible scenario could be a user accessing the site from a public computer (such as an Internet cafe) and forgetting to log out.

Regards,
Enrique

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnx for all replies! Jul 16, 2007

I've submitted a ticket about the stolen profile.

Thnx Nicole and Alaa for all advices concerning account security.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

passwords revealed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »