Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2007

Hi, I'm using a web-based platform to translate my webpage into French but when I view the HTML file, sudden mistakes appear.

Every time, I have to write words like "bénéficions" or "expérience" a little square appears in the place of this "é". It's the same with à, û, and similar characters. Shall I use a special combination of charatcers? Am I missing something?

I've found a weird, partial solution for this. I used "á" to display "á", and "ó" to display the "ó". But...as this seems to be very whimsical, my question is: Where do these symbols, á and ó, come from? Do they mean something?? Is it a new version of the HTML code?

Thanx my dear colleagues.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the standard HTML escape characters. Oct 31, 2007

If you're working with the actual HTML code, use the standard escape codes.

For example, for the lower-case "e" with an acute accent mark you would type the "and" symbol (&) followed immediately by the following:

eacute;

Other accented vowels follow the same basic pattern.

If you use any other approach, the result may look fine on your web browser but could show garbage characters on other types of computers (e.g., on PC's if used a Mac, or vice-versa).

[Edited at 2007-10-31 01:20]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice finding Oct 31, 2007

Thank you, Steven.

From your kind suggestion about the "é" I searched that chain in the web and found the following page, useful for other languages too:

http://www.thesauruslex.com/typo/eng/enghtml.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French characters.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs