Thread poster: biankonera
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:31
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

We all know that sometimes emails get lost somewhere in the big wide web. Recently this hapened to me that a client didnt receive one email of mine and now they want me to resend it to them (the saved version) so that their IT people can see why they didnt get it. Im not keen to provide them with more info than necessary and I really dont think its a problem they can solve somehow because I feel it didnt even reach them (I know that because I put a CC to another address where it didnt arrive eit... See more
We all know that sometimes emails get lost somewhere in the big wide web. Recently this hapened to me that a client didnt receive one email of mine and now they want me to resend it to them (the saved version) so that their IT people can see why they didnt get it. Im not keen to provide them with more info than necessary and I really dont think its a problem they can solve somehow because I feel it didnt even reach them (I know that because I put a CC to another address where it didnt arrive either (not even in the spam box)). So what makes me curious is - why such demand and what could they possibly find out from such re-sent email (what technical details)? Apart from the information I was supposed to send them. ps: I wouldnt mind re-sending the email as such, but the fact that their IT people will analyze it somehow bothers me a bit but maybe Im just a bit too suspicious.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:31
English to German
+ ...
They will check the IP headers Nov 27, 2007

Hi bramasole,
As far as I can see, they will check the IP header data - pretty standard procedure whenever there's an e-mail-related problem.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What can you lose by sending this email again? Nov 28, 2007

As I see it - forwarding them the saved version from your sent folder just saves you time - you click twice and everything is ready, rather than write such an email again, and they are not asking you to send them your private correspondance with someone else - just an email which was addressed to them in the first place.

I don't see how it could be a problem.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:31
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fowarding Nov 28, 2007

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

As I see it - forwarding them the saved version from your sent folder just saves you time - you click twice and everything is ready, rather than write such an email again, and they are not asking you to send them your private correspondance with someone else - just an email which was addressed to them in the first place.

I don't see how it could be a problem.

In such context I agree - there is no problem there at all and has never been, I can do that. What bothers me is their statement that they want me to do it so their IT people can do an inquiry regarding why that email never arrived in the first place. It just makes me feel that they sort of want to spy on me. Its all about the context that makes me slightly paranoid I suppose.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:31
English to French
+ ...
Maybe trying to determine if they can get a rebate... Nov 28, 2007

Although not very likely, it is possible that the client wants to determine whether there really was a transmission problem or if you simply didn't send the e-mail when you say you sent it. If the e-mail contained finished work and this may have caused them a loss, they would require a reason to deduct a percentage off your invoice to compensate for losses.

This delivery problem has happened to me several times, and on one occasion, the client didn't believe me, and without further
... See more
Although not very likely, it is possible that the client wants to determine whether there really was a transmission problem or if you simply didn't send the e-mail when you say you sent it. If the e-mail contained finished work and this may have caused them a loss, they would require a reason to deduct a percentage off your invoice to compensate for losses.

This delivery problem has happened to me several times, and on one occasion, the client didn't believe me, and without further investigation, they took 40% off the invoice. They were not interested in discussing it at all and even though I offered to send the message header again, they replied that in any case, there were losses on their end and their policy was to recuperate the losses by deducting them off the invoice. Whether they are right in doing things this way is a whole different matter... I find this practice a little overly zealous, but I think that agencies who would have such practices are a small minority. Either way, if this is what your client is up to, at least, they are willing to establish whether it is you or the e-mail server who is at fault - unlike in my situation, where I got all the blame, even though it wasn't my fault.

I don't think there is that much sensitive information they could find in the e-mail header - you might as well give it to them if they really want to take a look. Especially since Ralf also may be right and this may simply be a good practice on their part to figure out if they have a problem on their end preventing them from getting e-mails in the future, which could cause them plenty of headaches and problems with their clients. I think the right thing to do in this case is to provide what they are asking for - there probably will not be any consequences in it for you.
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:31
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the obvious place to start an investigation Nov 28, 2007

When I had a similar request from an agency, I learned that forwarding my original email gave the technical department the specific time the email was sent, which helped them to check what had happened to the email. It was sent after closing time, generating an 'out of office' response and somehow disappeared in the company's system.
Emails getting lost is a fairly rare occurrence, but the effects can be so serious that it is very important to try and avoid a repeat, since we all have come
... See more
When I had a similar request from an agency, I learned that forwarding my original email gave the technical department the specific time the email was sent, which helped them to check what had happened to the email. It was sent after closing time, generating an 'out of office' response and somehow disappeared in the company's system.
Emails getting lost is a fairly rare occurrence, but the effects can be so serious that it is very important to try and avoid a repeat, since we all have come to rely on our emails arriving at their destination.
This afternoon, my client sent me the same confidential file twice without either email arriving, which seems very odd and it alarmed me. If I had a technical department, I would ask them to investigate it, too. I am no expert in these things, but it seems to make sense since the original email is the proverbial 'smoking gun': an important piece of the puzzle that needs to be solved to try and find out what happened. So I don't think there is any need to be alarmed or offended, as Ralf said.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

lost email

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »