Bad internet connection
Thread poster: CSAddictionary
CSAddictionary
CSAddictionary
English
Dec 6, 2007

My internet connection was good up until 3 weeks ago. Now I stay connected from 5 minutes to an hour at a time. If my hair wasn't a 1/4 inch long it would be all pulled out. Why does my internet keep crashing. when it stops working it shows it's still connected on the task bar but nothing is being received. I have to disconnect and then reconnect. Then it works fine, but I play games online about an hour a day and I hate exiting the program and reconnecting every 20 minutes. Any suggestio... See more
My internet connection was good up until 3 weeks ago. Now I stay connected from 5 minutes to an hour at a time. If my hair wasn't a 1/4 inch long it would be all pulled out. Why does my internet keep crashing. when it stops working it shows it's still connected on the task bar but nothing is being received. I have to disconnect and then reconnect. Then it works fine, but I play games online about an hour a day and I hate exiting the program and reconnecting every 20 minutes. Any suggestions-besides to keep my posts shorter;-).Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Italian to English
+ ...
Country? Connection? Dial-up? Broadband? PC? Laptop? ISP? Dec 6, 2007

I feel your pain. My internet connection has been under the weather for a couple of days. Hey, maybe it is the weather. Who knows? I rather suspect you need to check your hardware and your settings and contact your ISP. But give us a hand here. At least provide a smidgen of background info.
Sending you good connection vibes,
Amy

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
What kind of hardware do you use? Dec 6, 2007

Questions to help us help you:

1. Is your internet connection
a) Wireless, or
b) wired?

2. What kind of connection is it?
a) Cable?
b) Other

a) Do you have a LAN or
b) is your present PC the only one connected to the Internet?

4. Does your e-mail work properly?
a) yes
b) no

If your connection does not allow you the time to write a proper answer, just answer a or b to each ques
... See more
Questions to help us help you:

1. Is your internet connection
a) Wireless, or
b) wired?

2. What kind of connection is it?
a) Cable?
b) Other

a) Do you have a LAN or
b) is your present PC the only one connected to the Internet?

4. Does your e-mail work properly?
a) yes
b) no

If your connection does not allow you the time to write a proper answer, just answer a or b to each question

And if you do have the time, perhaps you could take a moment and try to remember if anything has changed since 3 weeks ago. If the problem is not on your end, perhaps your provider has changed something?
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:57
Portuguese to English
sounds familiar Dec 6, 2007

As Margreet says, we need to know more about your system to offer any realistic help.

However, if you haven't changed any settings recently, it's not likely to be that. I had a very similar experience earlier this year and it turned out to be the ADSL modem, which had just worn out. My connection went up and down like yours and only rebooting the modem or the PC solved it (temporarily). The permanent solution was to buy and fit a replacement modem.

Of course, your probl
... See more
As Margreet says, we need to know more about your system to offer any realistic help.

However, if you haven't changed any settings recently, it's not likely to be that. I had a very similar experience earlier this year and it turned out to be the ADSL modem, which had just worn out. My connection went up and down like yours and only rebooting the modem or the PC solved it (temporarily). The permanent solution was to buy and fit a replacement modem.

Of course, your problem may be quite different, but the fact that it shows as connected but doesn't receive anything, and that it lasts between 5 minutes and an hour, is very similar to my experience.

[Edited at 2007-12-06 15:19]
Collapse

CSAddictionary
CSAddictionary
English
TOPIC STARTER
Okay more info. Dec 8, 2007

Okay here are more details. I use both wired and wireless. Lately I am using wired just because it tends to be more reliable. That being said, the problem doesn't seem to be my wireless router or the PC's card. I use DSL lightning speed(I can regularly download at 400 kbs/sec). I only have one PC.

One thing that did happen approx. 3 to 4 weeks ago is....winter. I live in Canada so the temperature really took a dip about a month ago. I wonder if the phone line is affected by t
... See more
Okay here are more details. I use both wired and wireless. Lately I am using wired just because it tends to be more reliable. That being said, the problem doesn't seem to be my wireless router or the PC's card. I use DSL lightning speed(I can regularly download at 400 kbs/sec). I only have one PC.

One thing that did happen approx. 3 to 4 weeks ago is....winter. I live in Canada so the temperature really took a dip about a month ago. I wonder if the phone line is affected by the cold. Is that a possibility? Next week they are talking about temperatures back up to the freezing point so I'll see if my conection is more reliable then.

Hmm.... maybe I should ask my land lord if he notices static on the phone line. My internet is connected to his line. I use a cell phone so I didn't feel like forking out $25 to activate my phoneline.

Thanks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad internet connection

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »