Off topic: What on earth is "browser authentication"?
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2007

Dear All,

I'm thinking of buying myself, or having somebody buy me, a Skype WiFi phone for Christmas but I'm a little confused about whether it would be of any use. The technical specs state: "It connects to any open or secure WiFi network (that does not require browser authentication)", and that last bit has got me competely flummoxed. Are there any techies out there who can explain this in plain English? Does it just mean that you don't need a web browser to be able to connect?... See more
Dear All,

I'm thinking of buying myself, or having somebody buy me, a Skype WiFi phone for Christmas but I'm a little confused about whether it would be of any use. The technical specs state: "It connects to any open or secure WiFi network (that does not require browser authentication)", and that last bit has got me competely flummoxed. Are there any techies out there who can explain this in plain English? Does it just mean that you don't need a web browser to be able to connect?

Thanks for any comments,

Andy

PS Being brain-dead today, I originally posted this in Spanish in this forum and a moderator kindly moved it to the Spanish forum, which is why I'm posting again.
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 07:58
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Answers... Dec 15, 2007

Hi Andy,

... See more
Hi Andy,

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iwphelp/v2r5m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wcs.ic.doc_2.5.1/infocenter/i_sec_c_authentbrowser.html
http://www.networkworld.com/research/2002/0909ilabbrowser.html

In human (or common if you ever played AD&D....erm, let's not go there, alright?) , "browser-based authentication" means that you log into a service through a browser by entering a username and password, with cookies, or something along those lines (including clicking on an "I agree to the terms and conditions" button in hotel networks). In other words, "browser authentication" means that you DO need a browser to log into the network. Given the number of WiFi networks out there that require browser authentication (at least in the US), I would say that the cell phone is pretty much useless if you're planning to move around with it (i.e. anywhere away from home). However, it seems that this issue can be circumvented with firmware updates:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=100867
http://www.freeskypevoucher.com/wifiphones.htm

Unless you want to do some more research, however, and assuming that you want to use the cell phone like an actual cell phone, and not just with your wireless home network, I would suggest getting yourself something else for Christmas
Collapse

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hmmmm... Dec 15, 2007

I haven't had much experience with the Skype phones, only one to be honest. Just a few days ago I had to call my agency on Skype, and they couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them. I was wondering, because I use Skype almost every day to call friends etc. and it always works fine. Needless to say, it turned out the agency was using a Skype phone. I still don't know why it didn't work.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Very interesting links... Dec 16, 2007

This some new information to me. I have been using Nokie N95 and turned to edge services last week, downloaded fring tool from www.fring.com and I am perfectly able to communicate with all skype users. I think generally the N series is an intended design for this. Best regards, Brandis

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:58
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moving this thread... Dec 16, 2007

... to Internet for Translators

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What on earth is "browser authentication"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »