I'm fed up with my Internet provider
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 23, 2008

I've got this Internet provider for more than 4 years now.

It worked fine at the beginning, but there is more than a year now that the service had been failing constantly.

At the moment, I can't receive or send any e-mails, and this since yesterday. I received 2 or 3 from clients stating that they received an error message and that they didn't receive my e-mails.

It's not normal to receive 2 or 3 e-mails in a day. Only for scam e-mails I receive about 20 in a single day, so the service is really not working well since yesterday.

My main problem is that most my clients (and potencial clients to which I sent e-mails with CVs) have got my e-mail from that Internet provider and I think it would be too bad to change it only for that reason.

On the other hand, I'm so fed up with their constant failures and problems that I'd like to change my Internet provider.

My question is: do you know any site (for free/paying, doesn't matter) that would accept to have me with the same e-mail I have from that Internet provider?

I mean, if my e-mail is xxx@yyy.net (being yyy the name of my Internet provider) do you know any site where I can still have the same e-mail after terminating my contract with my Internet provider?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Regards
Ivana

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
E-mail forwarding Jan 23, 2008

There are some sites that provide it. I know of https://secure.onlineaccess.net/cart/service_sales.php?type=emailfwd , but you probably can find others running "e-mail forwarding" through your favorite search engine.

Many people have two or more e-mail addresses specifically for situations such as you describe. You never know when the other one will conk out and you're stuck with the one you don't like now.

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've got other e-mail addresses Jan 23, 2008

In my CV I've got 2 e-mail addresses.

However, when a new client writes to me it's to this one s/he writes.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
You’d better have your own domain Jan 23, 2008

Thus, you’d have full control over your e-mail address, and you could change your Internet provider as often as you want. However, it would be important to find a reliable hosting provider. As a member, you could use the hosting offered by ProZ.com, which I find very reliable. The standard package (free for members) includes 100 MB, which should be more than enough for an e-mail account. Domains can be bought through ProZ.com as well for €/$10.00 per year.

As to your specific problem, I’m not sure a service like the one suggested by Paul would help. They could forward messages to your current e-mail, but what you would need is the opposite: forwarding messages from your current e-mail address to another address. I think it's only your current Internet provider that could arrange that.

[Edited at 2008-01-23 23:34]

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A domain Jan 24, 2008

Hello Mihai,

As I understand from your words, I will have full control over my e-mail address if I by a domain, but will I get e-mails from this particular e-mails ending at @yyy.net fom my current Internet provider?

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Notice + forwarding Jan 24, 2008

Hi Ivana,

with your own domain, will the emails to your current address still end up in your mailbox? Well, yes and no.

I changed my (private) email address a while ago, and what we did is the following:
- we kept the old address for a year or so
- we set up an automated forwarding to our new address
- at first, we checked the old address manually once a week or so, to make sure the mailbox wasn't full (if it was, the messages would not be forwarded)
- we responded to each and every message that was forwarded, but only saying: your message has been received, we will respond, but please resend the message to this address: (the new one), and change it in your listings.
- after a while, we no longer answered in person, but set up an auto-responder: thanks for your message, please resend to (the new address)
- after a year, we sent messages to those that kept using the old address, saying something along the lines of: start using the new address or your messages will be lost
- now the contract with the old provider is terminated, and that's it.

So basically, changing an address is no problem, you just have to give it a lot of time. Which is the reason why you don't want to do that too often.
With my own domain, I don't think I'll ever have to change it again.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
This should be possible Jan 24, 2008

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

Hello Mihai,

As I understand from your words, I will have full control over my e-mail address if I by a domain, but will I get e-mails from this particular e-mails ending at @yyy.net fom my current Internet provider?

Yes, you should be able to receive to your new e-mail address the messages sent to your current address. For this, you have to forward the messages from the old address to the new one.

I think Margreet gave you good advice. First of all, you should ask your Internet provider how you can forward the messages to another e-mail address. You should also find out (preferably, by reading your service agreement with them) for how long they would maintain your e-mail account after you terminate the agreement. I think you should try to keep your current account for at least one more year.

[Edited at 2008-01-24 10:35]

Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Jan 24, 2008

Dear Margreet and Mihai,

I think you have a good solution. I think I am going to give it a try.

Regards
Ivana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm fed up with my Internet provider

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs