Mobile menu

Error message regarding DNS server
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 17:37
German to English
Jan 27, 2008

I am trying to access a site for information purposes. No matter how I try to open a page on the site - by typing the URL in directly or clicking on a link - it does not open and I get a white screen with the message that no connection could be established. When I perform an automatic error diagnosis via Internet Explorer, I get the message "The DNS server may not be active" (Der DNS-Server ist eventuell nicht aktiv).

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it? Or is this a programming problem that only the website administrator can fix?

[Edited at 2008-01-27 21:29]

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 23:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Just another check Jan 27, 2008

Get to the command line interface (in W2000 I select Start/Programs/Accessories/Command prompt), and type:
tracert name-of-domain-you-look-for
(e.g. tracert

If the system starts giving you line after line of things like
1 90 ms 50 ms 60 ms
then the site and its DNS exist and there is some problem in your Internet browser (unlikely but not impossible).
Or you will get some other message, more or less self-explanatory, and very likely the problem is in the site or its DNS.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS/Nuance Jan 28, 2008

Nuance is DNS. Try:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message regarding DNS server

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs