Mobile menu

Error message regarding DNS server
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:55
German to English
Jan 27, 2008

I am trying to access a site for information purposes. No matter how I try to open a page on the site - by typing the URL in directly or clicking on a link - it does not open and I get a white screen with the message that no connection could be established. When I perform an automatic error diagnosis via Internet Explorer, I get the message "The DNS server may not be active" (Der DNS-Server ist eventuell nicht aktiv).

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it? Or is this a programming problem that only the website administrator can fix?

[Edited at 2008-01-27 21:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

gfe
Local time: 13:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Just another check Jan 27, 2008

Get to the command line interface (in W2000 I select Start/Programs/Accessories/Command prompt), and type:
tracert name-of-domain-you-look-for
(e.g. tracert www.proz.com)

If the system starts giving you line after line of things like
1 90 ms 50 ms 60 ms 192.168.0.1
then the site and its DNS exist and there is some problem in your Internet browser (unlikely but not impossible).
Or you will get some other message, more or less self-explanatory, and very likely the problem is in the site or its DNS.
GFE

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS/Nuance Jan 28, 2008

Nuance is DNS. Try:

http://www.nuance.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message regarding DNS server

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs