Anna Lanave
Anna Lanave  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:46
French to Italian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2008

Hello everybody!

I have a BT Broadband contract, I wish to ask to the UK residents their opinion on other companies providing internet services.

I need just a few hints in order to start evaluating other possible solutions for my 24h internet connection.

Thank you.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check out this website Feb 16, 2008

Hi lanave,

here's a link which may get you started in the right direction:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides.html

What's wrong with BT anyway?

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Definetally not Tiscali Feb 16, 2008

Whatever you do don't go for Tiscali even though they're apparently the most popular ISP in the UK. My set up box/modem packed up and I was told that they would send somebody to fix it in two weeks (!). When the day came, the engineer called me to inform me that they were out of set-up boxes and he wouldn't be coming. When I contacted Tiscali, they told me that it was true and all they could do was to put me on a waiting list till they got modems. I was raging - after two weeks without the broad... See more
Whatever you do don't go for Tiscali even though they're apparently the most popular ISP in the UK. My set up box/modem packed up and I was told that they would send somebody to fix it in two weeks (!). When the day came, the engineer called me to inform me that they were out of set-up boxes and he wouldn't be coming. When I contacted Tiscali, they told me that it was true and all they could do was to put me on a waiting list till they got modems. I was raging - after two weeks without the broadband and telly, all they could do was to put me on waiting list. No, thank you. I switched to Sky and I'm very happy so far.Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Orange - so far, so good Feb 16, 2008

I've recently installed Orange Broadband and so far it seems fine. I pay £12 per month and also get free telephone calls at weekends. I don't know if this is the best deal available, but the important thing for me is that it works.
Best wishes,
Jenny.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice one Jenny Feb 16, 2008

My earlier question about BT was a wee bit redundant, really, coz I'm having my own problems with them: I am now waiting MORE THAN THREE WEEKS for a phone line; can't even start to think about broadband 'til the line is in - and the reason? BT had me registered at a different address. In other words, I told them the address for the phone line, and they entered it wrongly on their system.

That's their fault. I had to cancel the 'wrong' order, and start over again (10 more days). All
... See more
My earlier question about BT was a wee bit redundant, really, coz I'm having my own problems with them: I am now waiting MORE THAN THREE WEEKS for a phone line; can't even start to think about broadband 'til the line is in - and the reason? BT had me registered at a different address. In other words, I told them the address for the phone line, and they entered it wrongly on their system.

That's their fault. I had to cancel the 'wrong' order, and start over again (10 more days). All they have to do is flick a switch down at the local exchange. And they charge £125!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BT = Bloody Thieves. Their mistake, and I'm paying a heavy price for it.

I have seen the Orange deal also, with inclusive line rental, this costs £24 a month I think, and it seemed attractive, but I have not had any feedback on it one way or another; so it's good to see someone giving it a (tentative?) thumbs up.

Anyone else got anything to say on Orange, good or bad? I'm damned if I want to stay with BT after all their clowning about.
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cable or via the phone line? Feb 16, 2008

At my previous address, I had cable broadband with Telewest (now Virgin), and never had any problems at all. Unfortunately I moved to a non-cable area a few months ago so had to change providers or use Virgin's non-cable broadband deal. I eventually went with Pipex broadband and have been very impressed with both the customer service and the internet speeds. You still have to pay the BT line rental (11 pounds), but Pipex also gives me "free" evening and weekend calls.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Location, location, location Feb 16, 2008

Can you get BT broadband in Italy?
And ireland?
Cool....

All I have to say about BT is that they are rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.
When I first moved to where I am now, last summer, I had to wait ages for a landline, despite notifying them about 2 months in advance, then broadband would not work owing to a fault at the exchange which took them a week to diagnose.

I recently decided to switch to a homehub which is the single worst piece of consumer equipm
... See more
And ireland?
Cool....

All I have to say about BT is that they are rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.
When I first moved to where I am now, last summer, I had to wait ages for a landline, despite notifying them about 2 months in advance, then broadband would not work owing to a fault at the exchange which took them a week to diagnose.

I recently decided to switch to a homehub which is the single worst piece of consumer equipment in the known universe. Check out the BT forums. It won't work properly with Intel chips, reboots constantly, and so on.

And don't get me started on how difficult it is to understand anything their helpdesk team say. They DO try their best and some of them are excellent and knowledgeable, but...

Give Orange a punt, they can't be any worse. Welcome to Britain (why does anyone come here?)
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Pipex also good, I hear Feb 16, 2008

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

At my previous address, I had cable broadband with Telewest (now Virgin), and never had any problems at all. Unfortunately I moved to a non-cable area a few months ago so had to change providers or use Virgin's non-cable broadband deal. I eventually went with Pipex broadband and have been very impressed with both the customer service and the internet speeds. You still have to pay the BT line rental (11 pounds), but Pipex also gives me "free" evening and weekend calls.

A close friend of mine installed Pipex a few months ago and says he has had no problems, and I think it's cheaper than Orange.
Best wishes
Jenny

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Virgin / Zen Feb 16, 2008

I have Virgin, mainly because we don't get any tv at all without cable. It works well now, but I had lots of problems when I got a wireless router from Belkin. Now I've bought another router (Linksys) and it works.

Earlier I was using Zen, which was expensive but wonderful. Great customer service, though the only times I had to contact them was when I'd done something stupid myself - there were never any problems with the actual service.

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
BT and Homehubs Feb 16, 2008

Although BT/Yahoo is working OK for us in general this comment from Charlie above:

"...I recently decided to switch to a homehub which is the single worst piece of consumer equipment in the known universe..."

is 100 per cent spot on. Worse than that, the Homehub is dangerous, since the mere idea that something as simple as a wireless router can be made so inadequate as said hub could actually paralyse a human being's reason. And the fact that it is supplied free makes i
... See more
Although BT/Yahoo is working OK for us in general this comment from Charlie above:

"...I recently decided to switch to a homehub which is the single worst piece of consumer equipment in the known universe..."

is 100 per cent spot on. Worse than that, the Homehub is dangerous, since the mere idea that something as simple as a wireless router can be made so inadequate as said hub could actually paralyse a human being's reason. And the fact that it is supplied free makes it even worse - the UK becomes another cheap landfill for an incompetently designed import unfit for its target market. Sorry I forgot - WEEE regs mean that landfill is out of bounds for this toxically talentless piece of non-equipment.

By the way, does anyone out there even know what a BT Hubphone looks like?

Rant over and have a great weekend and don't say the warning signs weren't there.

Peace
DB
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Eclipse Feb 16, 2008

I agree with Rad Graban about Tiscali. I was with them for a short while after they took over my previous ISP. Their help line (which under the other people had been free) charged a high rate for time mostly spent listening to music while on hold, and their advice was never any help anyway. I also had no end of trouble changing my old account details to their new ones. So I left them for a better one which unfortunately was not offering broadband when I wanted it, so then I had to switch aga... See more
I agree with Rad Graban about Tiscali. I was with them for a short while after they took over my previous ISP. Their help line (which under the other people had been free) charged a high rate for time mostly spent listening to music while on hold, and their advice was never any help anyway. I also had no end of trouble changing my old account details to their new ones. So I left them for a better one which unfortunately was not offering broadband when I wanted it, so then I had to switch again. On the advice of my computer dealer, I went to Eclipse - www.eclipse.net.uk - and have been quite happy with them ever since.Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Be Feb 17, 2008

I'm currently switching from Lixxus to Be broadband. The Lixxus service was quite reliable but Be now offer 24MB download, 1.3MB upload, unlimited usage for £18 a month (Lixxus 8MB download, £13.99 to £17.99 a month depending on usage). Be also supply a four port wirelees router included in their package.... See more
I'm currently switching from Lixxus to Be broadband. The Lixxus service was quite reliable but Be now offer 24MB download, 1.3MB upload, unlimited usage for £18 a month (Lixxus 8MB download, £13.99 to £17.99 a month depending on usage). Be also supply a four port wirelees router included in their package.

Contacting customer and technical enquiries at Be, it sounds like their service centre is in India – just hoping they are reliable.

Lixxus no longer offer "home user" packages:

After 3 years of offering a Broadband service to the general public Lixxus will no longer provider any new consumer grade Broadband services.

Instead Lixxus will now concentrate entirely on it's business grade Broadband and managed services from home workers through to small, medium and corporate sized businesses ...

Before Lixxus I was with Metronet who were also quite good once they got sufficient bandwidth. They got larger and their service less personal while I was with them but the service was still good.
Collapse

Anna Lanave
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not Italy Feb 17, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:

And ireland?
Cool....

I specify that I am currently in London.

Anna Lanave
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 17, 2008

I wish to thank everybody for contributing to this discussion. I am reading and... learning.

Internet service providers are the same everywhere... unreliable.

Anna Lanave
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because... Feb 17, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Give Orange a punt, they can't be any worse. Welcome to Britain (why does anyone come here?)

It would take a long time to tell why.

Let's sum up and say that there are pro et contra. Is this answer fair enough?

Anna

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet connection in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »