Thread poster: John Farebrother
John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Dear all

I'd be grateful for any information on courses/qualifications for conference interpreters in the former Yugoslavia. I live in the UK and I haven't been able to find anything with those language combinations over here.

hvala unaprijed

John

Lara Adamenko
Lara Adamenko  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
University of Zagreb Mar 28, 2008

HI,
There is a Conference interpreting course in Zagreb, here's the link: http://www.ffzg.hr/anglist/prevodil-usmeni-poslijedipl.htm
and a topic on the Croatian Proz forum!
Good luck!

mmihano4 (X)
mmihano4 (X)
Local time: 03:32
English to Croatian
+ ...
Uiversity of Zagreb Mar 28, 2008

I agree with Lara, visit the website she mentioned and you will find enough information. I know that they offer Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian as C or A language at Westminster (if there are enough candidates)

Justin Browne
Justin Browne  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2007)
Serbian to English
+ ...
University of Westminster / London Metropolitan University Mar 30, 2008

Hi John,
I inquired about the Postgraduate Diploma in Conference Interpreting Techniques at Westminster and as the person before me said, it is all number dependent. Here is a link to the course description

https://srs21live.wmin.ac.uk/ipp/D09FPCID.htm

I think the minimum number for them to put on the course in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian is 4 but
... See more
Hi John,
I inquired about the Postgraduate Diploma in Conference Interpreting Techniques at Westminster and as the person before me said, it is all number dependent. Here is a link to the course description

https://srs21live.wmin.ac.uk/ipp/D09FPCID.htm

I think the minimum number for them to put on the course in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian is 4 but I'm not entirely sure. You could check with them. I would be interested in doing the course also.

I inquired also at the London Metropolitan University and they were willing to put on a course for 4 of us at the time but one person dropped out.

Here is a link to their course in Interpreting

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/pgprospectus/courses/interpreting.cfm

I hope this helps.

Regards

Justin
Collapse

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
kolicina Mar 30, 2008

Thanks everyone
numbers is the problem I'm running up against, a few years ago it wasn't such a problem but the language(s) is/are no longer as topical as they were.
However if we can get a few interested people maye we can try it at one of the sites mentioned. Any takers?

The westminster one looks more suitable for my requirements, ie conference interpreting; I've asked them how many students they would need for a one-year course.

[Edited at 2008-03-30 0
... See more
Thanks everyone
numbers is the problem I'm running up against, a few years ago it wasn't such a problem but the language(s) is/are no longer as topical as they were.
However if we can get a few interested people maye we can try it at one of the sites mentioned. Any takers?

The westminster one looks more suitable for my requirements, ie conference interpreting; I've asked them how many students they would need for a one-year course.

[Edited at 2008-03-30 08:40]
Collapse

Justin Browne
Justin Browne  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2007)
Serbian to English
+ ...
Westminster Mar 30, 2008

Hello again John,

I am very interested in the course at Westminster! So you can count me in.

Did they get back to you with an answer on the number of participants required?

Regards

Justin

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Mar 30, 2008

Justin Browne wrote:

Hello again John,

I am very interested in the course at Westminster! So you can count me in.

Did they get back to you with an answer on the number of participants required?

Regards

Justin

I only asked them today; maybe they'll reply during the week. I'll put it on here.

John

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
information Apr 7, 2008

I called Westminster and they said they hoped to offer the course in Serbian and/or Croatian, subject to 3-4 students.
It's only available full time and involves 4-5 days per week (not sure how many hours). I'll thinking about it but it might conflict with other commitments.
Interested people should apply anyway; if they don't have enought applicants there will be no charge.

mmihano4 (X)
mmihano4 (X)
English to Croatian
+ ...
.... Apr 7, 2008

hi

interpreting courses are always full time at all international schools. you usually have 4, 5 classes a day plus extra excercise time at home or with other students. when planning entering such a course you have to make a financial plan how to survive a year without steady income, but the good news is that there are scholarships available from the EU institutions for this language combination (Serbian/Croatian to English)
I took a bankloan in order to finance one year of st
... See more
hi

interpreting courses are always full time at all international schools. you usually have 4, 5 classes a day plus extra excercise time at home or with other students. when planning entering such a course you have to make a financial plan how to survive a year without steady income, but the good news is that there are scholarships available from the EU institutions for this language combination (Serbian/Croatian to English)
I took a bankloan in order to finance one year of studying interpreting abroad.
Collapse

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
scholdarships Apr 7, 2008

Do you know what EU institutions?

mmihano4 (X)
mmihano4 (X)
English to Croatian
+ ...
SCIC bursary Apr 8, 2008

Joint Interpretation Unit of the European Commission and the European Parliament (known also as SCIC or JICS in English) offers bursaries for students of conference interpreting for those students with language pairs interesting to the EU institutions. You as a native English speaker working form a Slavic language would be very desirable and you would most certainly get their help if you enrolled at Westminster. Should Croatian join the EU some time in the future you should have great opportunit... See more
Joint Interpretation Unit of the European Commission and the European Parliament (known also as SCIC or JICS in English) offers bursaries for students of conference interpreting for those students with language pairs interesting to the EU institutions. You as a native English speaker working form a Slavic language would be very desirable and you would most certainly get their help if you enrolled at Westminster. Should Croatian join the EU some time in the future you should have great opportunity for employment since there aren't almost any English native speakers working from Serbian or Croatian into English.
So as far as job opportunity concerns, such university course would pay off later for sure.
The only thnig is that all interpretation schools, Westminster particularly, are very strict and competitive, so you would really need to invest a year's time to study interpreting. You have to make a financial plan how to pull this off.
I took a year off, told to all my clients that I would not be albe to work for them because of the MA course in interpreting abroad, I got a bursary which paid my tuition fee and a bankloan to be able to survive 9 months in austria.
when I finished the MA course, I started working immediately, both translating (I contacted my old clients) and interpreting. so in my case it worked well.
One more thing, to be able to enroll at Westminster you need another passive language besides Serbian/Croatian.
My languages were German, English into Croatian.
Collapse

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dobar savjet Apr 8, 2008

Thanks for the useful advice.
In case anyone else is interested in the course, I will probably try to get a place next year, not this.

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Knuckles rapped Jan 19, 2009

I've been slapped on the wrists by the thought-police/jobs-worths for writing in Croatian rather than English on this topic, although anyone interested in the topic would almost certainly understand it.

Back to the topic:
Numbers are required in order to get the MA in conference interpreting laid on in Croatian at London Westminster. I think this is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to further their interpreting career; due to the relatively small number of people wo
... See more
I've been slapped on the wrists by the thought-police/jobs-worths for writing in Croatian rather than English on this topic, although anyone interested in the topic would almost certainly understand it.

Back to the topic:
Numbers are required in order to get the MA in conference interpreting laid on in Croatian at London Westminster. I think this is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to further their interpreting career; due to the relatively small number of people working in this combination we need to coordinate efforts where possible.

many thanks in advance
Collapse

John Farebrother
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hvala na savjetu Apr 27, 2012

mmihano4 wrote:

Joint Interpretation Unit of the European Commission and the European Parliament (known also as SCIC or JICS in English) offers bursaries for students of conference interpreting for those students with language pairs interesting to the EU institutions. You as a native English speaker working form a Slavic language would be very desirable and you would most certainly get their help if you enrolled at Westminster. Should Croatian join the EU some time in the future you should have great opportunity for employment since there aren't almost any English native speakers working from Serbian or Croatian into English.
So as far as job opportunity concerns, such university course would pay off later for sure.
The only thnig is that all interpretation schools, Westminster particularly, are very strict and competitive, so you would really need to invest a year's time to study interpreting. You have to make a financial plan how to pull this off.
I took a year off, told to all my clients that I would not be albe to work for them because of the MA course in interpreting abroad, I got a bursary which paid my tuition fee and a bankloan to be able to survive 9 months in austria.
when I finished the MA course, I started working immediately, both translating (I contacted my old clients) and interpreting. so in my case it worked well.
One more thing, to be able to enroll at Westminster you need another passive language besides Serbian/Croatian.
My languages were German, English into Croatian.

Thanks for your advice, which I followed and graduated from Westminster last year. Next step is to break into the BHS conference market.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreting courses/qualifications former Yugoslavia

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »