Jonathan Sanders (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Jul 3, 2008

Job: Interpreting job in Barcelona
Posted: 4:21pm July 2 GMT

Job type: Interpreting Job

Languages: Spanish to English, English to Spanish

Job description:
We need a Barcelona-based, double-A (or English-A with a very active B) interpreter to work in an extremely technical, specific conference which will take place in two days (July 4). Must be a skilled interpreter with considerable simultaneous experience. Must be able to prepare ve
... See more
Job: Interpreting job in Barcelona
Posted: 4:21pm July 2 GMT

Job type: Interpreting Job

Languages: Spanish to English, English to Spanish

Job description:
We need a Barcelona-based, double-A (or English-A with a very active B) interpreter to work in an extremely technical, specific conference which will take place in two days (July 4). Must be a skilled interpreter with considerable simultaneous experience. Must be able to prepare very technical conference in two days. Must be willing to work long hours, with portable equipment in case the booths are not set up. Must be willing to work without a boothmate, for hours on end, if necessary. Passive Catalan an asset.

Candidates who request a contract stipulating even basic work conditions or cancelation clauses need not apply.

For more details, please contact us.

P.S. If price listed below is unacceptable, we will hire translators with no interpreting experience or training, and if that fails, some unemployed person who spent his or her vacation in the Costa del Sol. If interpretation is unsucessful, then the interpreter bears all responsability.

Volume and pricing:
Price: The market price -300 EUR
Payment method: Bank transfer
Payment : 60 days after date of invoice (if we feel like it. Good luck seeking redress from the Spanish courts if you try to sue us.)
Further payment details Bank transfer

Service provider targeting (specified by job poster):
Preferred expertise: Technical, specific subject of the conference
Quoting deadline: 11:59pm Jul 3, 2008
Additional requirements:
Wide experience in interpretation.

[Edited at 2008-07-03 18:46]
Collapse

Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Typical interpreting job Jul 3, 2008

That is exactly what it is coming to, although it reads like a joke!

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
Things are tough all over Jul 3, 2008

Dear Sirs,

Could you send us proposals for translating around 800 words, from ES/PT to EN?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Source format: Microsoft Word

Delivery format: Microsoft Word

Volume and pricing:
900 words
Payment 60 days after date of invoice.
Quoting deadline: 11:00pm Jul 3, 2008
Delivery deadline: 9:00am Jul 4, 2008

Tell me, do you think it's worth losing sleep
... See more
Dear Sirs,

Could you send us proposals for translating around 800 words, from ES/PT to EN?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Source format: Microsoft Word

Delivery format: Microsoft Word

Volume and pricing:
900 words
Payment 60 days after date of invoice.
Quoting deadline: 11:00pm Jul 3, 2008
Delivery deadline: 9:00am Jul 4, 2008

Tell me, do you think it's worth losing sleep over?
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Typical? Not quite Jul 3, 2008

Hi Jonathan,

That's no more than a bad joke, and far from being a "Typical ProZ interpreting ad". Deserves to be binned right away, not worth the hassle at all. To apply for this job would be tantamount to suicide.

Steffen

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
They totally forgot about Trados! Jul 4, 2008

I often see such interpreting jobs, as well as some video or audio translation ones, where the job poster will not let any interpreters who don't have Trados apply.

I'm still trying to figure the rationale behind this.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Simple answer... Jul 4, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I often see such interpreting jobs, as well as some video or audio translation ones, where the job poster will not let any interpreters who don't have Trados apply.

That's dead simple - they can pay you less because of the repetitions analysed by Trados as you speak

Steffen

Jonathan Sanders (X)
Jonathan Sanders (X)  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it is Jul 4, 2008

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

That's no more than a bad joke, and far from being a "Typical ProZ interpreting ad". Deserves to be binned right away, not worth the hassle at all. To apply for this job would be tantamount to suicide.

Steffen

Maybe I wasn't quite clear, but I was trying to make a very valid point through humor. I almost don't bother to open e-mail notifications about interpreting jobs anymore from ProZ. They are never what they should be. People who have no clue what you need to do interpreting, don't provide conditions to do so, don't want to fork over a proper wage, but want the interpreting to be done well. And if you say, "I'd be interested in the job, but I think I want a boothmate, will there be ISO-compliant booths, can you take just a 10% commission instead of 40%, etc.?", they just ignore you and take whoever will work at their ridiculously low offered price.

Once I responded to an ad from a bank, which was carrying out negotiations, who wanted really skilled people to work both ways in negociations that would happen in a week and a half. I was shortlisted by the recruiter, but then told that my offer, which was very reasonable (450€/day+ travel, lodging, per-diem), especially considering there were no interpreters even close to that level in the place where the negociations would be held, the recruter said the client said I was "too expensive" and that he himself was frustrated they would probably take someone without the skills who was local and cheaper. And this was a bank! In their negociations no less! So what, if I interpret not just for free, but at a loss, then I can get work from ProZ interpreting ads?

I personally am sick of this kind of exploitation. How can our professions survive if this becomes the norm? You're right that ProZ should ban these kinds of ads. Of course, they should ban ads for translation that only offer $.04 USD/words - repetitions (as if some agency should profit from your investment in TRADOS), but they don't. Perhaps you can tell me why, because I'm tapped.

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:40
English to French
+ ...
This is scam Oct 4, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

There are fake agencies out there which actually get commissions on the softwares they help sell (Trados and others), usually by promising an interesting assignment to the translator/interpreter but requiring them to buy the software before any contract is signed (and of course the contract never comes).
Obviously I don't think they manage to trick too many interpreters... translators are probably more vulnerable to this type of scams.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typical ProZ interpreting ad

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »