Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2008

This morning, I got a call back from a translation/interpretation agency. Monday of next week, I will go in for an evaluation. (It's for placement, so they can match me with the right types of assignments)

Thanks to this success, I am now motivated to call up more companies in my area to offer my services. I just need some help coming up with a good script.

Here's how I plan to start it (if I get an answering machine.) "This message is for (name of person). My na
... See more
This morning, I got a call back from a translation/interpretation agency. Monday of next week, I will go in for an evaluation. (It's for placement, so they can match me with the right types of assignments)

Thanks to this success, I am now motivated to call up more companies in my area to offer my services. I just need some help coming up with a good script.

Here's how I plan to start it (if I get an answering machine.) "This message is for (name of person). My name is Sara, and I am a Spanish/English translator and interpreter with several years of experience. My specialty areas are Legal and Education."

Beyond that, I'm still trying to figure out how to finish my message. I found a website with a sample script about a month ago. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the site.
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 13:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a comment Aug 27, 2008

" My specialty areas are Legal and Education."

Not legal,but Law.And I think you can write it like law and education.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Script, Article 1 Aug 27, 2008

Don't leave messages on answering machines.

Article 2:
Follow Article 1

Why?

Two reasons:

1.) Getting an answering machine indicates that those people are busy. Why exactly would they have the time then to listen through your message which (being an application, it won't be very concise) and - call you back?

2.) Leaving a message on an answering machine indicates that this company apparently is not important to you. Otherwi
... See more
Don't leave messages on answering machines.

Article 2:
Follow Article 1

Why?

Two reasons:

1.) Getting an answering machine indicates that those people are busy. Why exactly would they have the time then to listen through your message which (being an application, it won't be very concise) and - call you back?

2.) Leaving a message on an answering machine indicates that this company apparently is not important to you. Otherwise you would try again until you get hold of the person, right?

You might as well leave prerecorded robot-calls.

Oh, let me add one more Article.

Article 3:
Don't use scripts. They will notice. Sounding like a well-trained telemarketer might not leave the best "first impression", especially when talking to people in the language-business.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Addendum Aug 28, 2008

Always introduce yourself with your full name as long as your older than twelve or you don't want to sound like a car salesman.

Just a hint.

There is so much to consider in regards of self-marketing. Especially when making cold calls. You have 2 seconds to leave a first impression. Sounding like a grown-up and introducing yourself with your full name and the city you are calling from is only part of it.

Also, maybe the most valuable hint: Don't call your f
... See more
Always introduce yourself with your full name as long as your older than twelve or you don't want to sound like a car salesman.

Just a hint.

There is so much to consider in regards of self-marketing. Especially when making cold calls. You have 2 seconds to leave a first impression. Sounding like a grown-up and introducing yourself with your full name and the city you are calling from is only part of it.

Also, maybe the most valuable hint: Don't call your favorite companies first. You will notice quite quickly that you are getting better and more confident with each phone call. Practice on the ones that you actually don't care for in particular. After phone call #10 you will be brilliant - that's when you should start calling your favorites.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Okay, one more Aug 28, 2008

When you call a company, start with:

Hello, this is FirstName LastName from SampleCity, USState. I have read your website and I noticed that your company is specializing in legal/whatever translations. (Optional: "I found your client list very impressive" or similar, if you want to add more sugar).

Wait for a reply and check out if the person feels flattered or if you are dealing with an overworked/annoyed front desk person.

Adjust your tonality accordingl
... See more
When you call a company, start with:

Hello, this is FirstName LastName from SampleCity, USState. I have read your website and I noticed that your company is specializing in legal/whatever translations. (Optional: "I found your client list very impressive" or similar, if you want to add more sugar).

Wait for a reply and check out if the person feels flattered or if you are dealing with an overworked/annoyed front desk person.

Adjust your tonality accordingly. When dealing with the latter species, show some guts and demand to speak to a project manager.

Or, if you feel that you are talking to the right person - just be yourself. First of all: ASK IF THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THE TIME TO SPEAK TO YOU AT THIS MOMENT. Don't start droning on immediately about how great you are. Show more interest in their company than in what you have done in the past. Then everything will fall into place. Once you got their interest, ask for the email address where you can send your resume to.

Good luck!

Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
The advice from Nicole was so good... Sep 5, 2008

...that I have nothing to add.

Good luck, Sara! ¡Buena suerte!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Script for calling a direct client/agency

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »