Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2008

Tomorrow, I have a placement evaluation for a local interpreting company. From what I know so far, the purpose is to determine which kinds of assignments are best suited for me.

I have some questions for the more experienced interpreters out there. One of them is this: Would it also be an indirect evaluation of my language skills? Would you also recommend that I ask a few questions about factors like form of payment, consecutive versus simultaneous, etc? (Unless the staff of
... See more
Tomorrow, I have a placement evaluation for a local interpreting company. From what I know so far, the purpose is to determine which kinds of assignments are best suited for me.

I have some questions for the more experienced interpreters out there. One of them is this: Would it also be an indirect evaluation of my language skills? Would you also recommend that I ask a few questions about factors like form of payment, consecutive versus simultaneous, etc? (Unless the staff of the agency brings it up first, that is.)

Basically, I want to know what to expect. I'm confident that I will do well, but I still want to be well-prepared mentally.

[Edited at 2008-09-01 17:50]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Give it your best Sep 1, 2008

The company itself is the only one that knows what areas you are to be evaluated in. You could have asked, but since it's tomorrow, it's too late now. Just get plenty of rest and go in and try to do your best.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What did you do to prepare yourself so far? Sep 1, 2008

You received the phone call five days ago, on the 27th, right?

That's what I recall from a former forum thread.

Good luck!

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Based on my experience... Sep 1, 2008

The company would definitely tell you whether they expect you to interpret consecutively or simultaneously.

As to the forms of payment: I see nothing wrong with asking about it, but be very courteous. When I start working with a new agency, I usually say something like: "I know that every agency has different payment practices - some pay every week, some pay once a month, and some pay as soon as in invoice is submitted. May I ask you what are your agency's payment practices?"... See more
The company would definitely tell you whether they expect you to interpret consecutively or simultaneously.

As to the forms of payment: I see nothing wrong with asking about it, but be very courteous. When I start working with a new agency, I usually say something like: "I know that every agency has different payment practices - some pay every week, some pay once a month, and some pay as soon as in invoice is submitted. May I ask you what are your agency's payment practices?"

Also, I made it a point to submit W-9 form for the tax purposes together with my first invoice (you can download the form from irs.gov). It has been my experience that this greatly speeds up the payment. Otherwise, it might happen that you wait for your payment for a month or so, then call them to ask about it and get the answer "but we need your W-9 form fist!" (It actually happened to me twice in the past). So now I don't wait for them to ask me for the form - I just go ahead and send it.

Good luck with the test!
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
A word of caution... Sep 1, 2008

Sara:

I meant to tell you, but almost forgot: be sure to check the agency's blue board record! This simple step might save you a lot of headache afterward. I'll need 50 brownZ points to do this.

Best of luck to you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going for a placement evaluation tomorrow/Some questions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »