Jan 30, 2009

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Ramon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
It can get worse.... Jan 31, 2009

Inmates 'translating' for other inmates while awaiting an initial appearance, or who take a plea deal.

Some inmate learned a little Spanish, or v.v. learned a little English and in one court house I know about, they use them as 'interpreters' to save on the real interpreters (one judge finds that we, interpreters make too much money, he said so in open court); even 'girlfriends' of Mexican guys, who know maybe 4 or 5 words of Spanish, and then corrupt those few words have offered their 'services' as interpreter'!

One day a couple of years ago I was interpreting in that court house and the defendant and his attorney had hired an interpreter: a fat, ungroomed, almost toothless young woman (about 29, 30 years old) in dirty sweats! (I am not kidding you!), she was apologizing for her sweats, she had just finished cleaning houses!

The judge did not accept her once he knew that I was in the building on another case and had me called.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:57
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oh dear Feb 7, 2009

Disgraceful. Horrible. Unbelievable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting as a punishment

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs