Mobile menu

Where and how to get good Interpreting training?
Thread poster: Chao-Ling Weissenbach

Chao-Ling Weissenbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:44
German to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 18, 2009

Dear All,

I've been working as a translator(German/English to Chinese) for more than 3 years and also have a bit interpreting experience. I'm looking for training or course for interpreting skills. Does anybody know a good addresse for such trainings in Germany?

I'm living in Munich, Germany and was one year at SDI(Sprache und Dolmetscher Institut) for some translating courses. However, it didn't help me much and I was not really satisfied with the school. I would be really appreciate for any tips.

Best regards,
Chao-Ling

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 02:44
English to Russian
+ ...
It must be there is no such school in Germany... Apr 16, 2009

...otherwise, somebody would surely answer your question by now.

But do not despair. You can do self- study, and you can do it well.

I'm a California Court Certified Russian interpreter, and I never went to school to be one. There is simply no school for interpreting in RussianEnglish combination in Los Angeles. There is one in Monterey (Northern California), but I can't drop everything and move there to study! So, I taught myself.

Check this website: http://www.acebo.com/oprods.htm They have materials to be a Court Interpreter for Mandarin and Cantonese. I understand it is not exactly what you are looking for, as you are probably thinking of conference interpreting, but might be good for starters.

Good luck!

Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your message Apr 17, 2009

Dear Alexandra,

Thanks for your message and info. I've also posted my question at 'Xing' and did
receive some feedbacks there. However, as you know already, the offer is relative
small. Actually I was looking for a training course for a few weeks basis. I just want
to experience it myself how it was to work as a 'simutaneous interpreter'.

I totally agree with you that one can learn by his/her own. Just I notice that here in
Germany, the customers want to see your certificates first before they give you the
chances for the job. That's why I was thinking for a training course and then if it's possible,
take the exams.

I'm working as translator for over 3 years now. Last year I also visited a translation school in Munich for a year and wanted to improve my translation skills. However, it didn't help much at all. I think the only way is 'practice, practice and practice'. Reading a lot also quite helpful.

Anyway, thank you for your message and I do really appreciate.

all the best,
Chao-Ling

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Germersheim International Summer School Apr 17, 2009

Hi Chao-Ling,

The FASK (Fachbereich Angewandte Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaft) of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz located in Germersheim is one of the most reputable German institutions providing interpreting training to degree standard. They also offer various summer courses - see http://www.isg-uni-mainz.de/kursangebot.php (perhaps you could get in touch with them directly to ask if Chinese is also offered). See also http://www.fask.uni-mainz.de/fbpubl/brosch/brosch-us.html#_Toc24434965

Best regards,
Steffen

Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot!! Apr 17, 2009

Hello steffen,

Many thanks for the links of FASK. I'll check with them for the offer of Chinese.

I think it's properly the best place in Germany for professional translation/interpreting training. As quite of a few German recommended me this school already:-))

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
Chao-Ling

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where and how to get good Interpreting training?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs