Medical certification again...
Thread poster: pashtet
pashtet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone actually know a person who got their medical certification and went on to work at a US hospital? Can anyone share their experience and give some advice as to what school offers a good program in terms of the best value for money?

Thank you!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Kind of... Mar 5, 2009

If you're already an MD Physiscian, you have to take a series of tests before you are allowed to get near a patient. You can still work for a Master, PhD or higher degrees at Medical Schools and Universities, but not with patients. I guess this is a a worldwide policy.

My brother, who is a professor at a Medical School, took a leave to get his Post Doctorate in the US and he could only do lab work (this was his objective anyway)and visit patients accompanied by a colleague. His wife, a very experienced nurse, volunteered at a Hospital, but could not do much...
I've also translated some documents for a client who is currently working at a Hospital there. So it's feasible

IMHO, Schools/Hospitals in NY, Boston and in the State of California are the best. But, you should focus on the field you wish to specialize/work, search the web for info, contact specialists in the area, get your documents translated and pack

Godspeed!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
pashtet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interpreting Mar 5, 2009

Christina Paiva wrote:

If you're already an MD Physiscian, you have to take a series of tests before you are allowed to get near a patient. You can still work for a Master, PhD or higher degrees at Medical Schools and Universities, but not with patients. I guess this is a a worldwide policy.

My brother, who is a professor at a Medical School, took a leave to get his Post Doctorate in the US and he could only do lab work (this was his objective anyway)and visit patients accompanied by a colleague. His wife, a very experienced nurse, volunteered at a Hospital, but could not do much...
I've also translated some documents for a client who is currently working at a Hospital there. So it's feasible

IMHO, Schools/Hospitals in NY, Boston and in the State of California are the best. But, you should focus on the field you wish to specialize/work, search the web for info, contact specialists in the area, get your documents translated and pack

Godspeed!


Christina, thank you for your feedback. However, I meant certification for interpreting, not for treating patients. I am looking for a medical interpreting program.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
anviv_2008  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
UCLA Mar 5, 2009

You can check UCLA. They used to have an interpretation program (years ago). I don't know if they still have it. They taught us medical terminology, interpretation techniques, and even gave us a state certification exam as a sample to prepare ourself for it.

You can also check California State University at Los Angeles. I study legal interpretation there. I don't know if they have a program for medical interpretation.

I hope it helps. Good luck.

Andrea


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Two more Mar 6, 2009

Monterey Institute, in California; and University of Arizona. Be prepared to pay though.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Practically speaking.. Mar 6, 2009

.. I've been working as medical interpreter (through a major translation agency in Houston which has agreements on interpretation services with all or most of the hospitals here - I worked primarily for MD Anderson) for more than five years. There has never been a requirement for specific medical certification for interpreters, at least in my case.

In-house translators in hospitals are quite rare and primarily work in the language pair in biggest demand (understandably, Spanish in Texas).

There is an initiative coming from local TI associations to establish certification of health care interpreters - http://www.mmia.org/uploads/pages/195.pdf -, however it seems to be at the very initial stage. Many states as you will see have their own associations of healthcare interpreters.

The University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation - http://nci.arizona.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=36 - offers some brief courses for medical interpreters.

Hope this will help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
State of Washington, interpreters Mar 6, 2009

All you need to do here is to take a test. Two parts, written and oral. Then, you get certified as a medical or social interpreter.
It doesn't really matter if you are certified in any other way, have college dregrees or take courses regularly. If you say the real name of a condition or leave it in English. Here, if you are never late and no one complaints too much, you get assigments.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
pashtet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great info. Thanks. Mar 6, 2009

sokolniki wrote:

.. I've been working as medical interpreter (through a major translation agency in Houston which has agreements on interpretation services with all or most of the hospitals here - I worked primarily for MD Anderson) for more than five years. There has never been a requirement for specific medical certification for interpreters, at least in my case.

In-house translators in hospitals are quite rare and primarily work in the language pair in biggest demand (understandably, Spanish in Texas).

There is an initiative coming from local TI associations to establish certification of health care interpreters - http://www.mmia.org/uploads/pages/195.pdf -, however it seems to be at the very initial stage. Many states as you will see have their own associations of healthcare interpreters.

The University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation - http://nci.arizona.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=36 - offers some brief courses for medical interpreters.

Hope this will help.





This is actually valuable information! So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to get certified if you want to work as a medical interpreter at a hospital through a translation agency.

My plan was to get certified and to get a full-time job with a hospital. However, I am now having second thoughts about it after your remark about the rarity of such positions.

So how often do you get such assignments through your agency?

[Edited at 2009-03-06 08:00 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
pashtet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Mar 6, 2009

Javier Wasserzug wrote:

All you need to do here is to take a test. Two parts, written and oral. Then, you get certified as a medical or social interpreter.
It doesn't really matter if you are certified in any other way, have college dregrees or take courses regularly. If you say the real name of a condition or leave it in English. Here, if you are never late and no one complaints too much, you get assigments.


Thank you! Could you possibly provide a link to some more information on this test?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Never predictable and hospitals place requests for interpreter with agencies on a very short notice Mar 6, 2009

Paul Turchaninoff wrote:

sokolniki wrote:

.. I've been working as medical interpreter (through a major translation agency in Houston which has agreements on interpretation services with all or most of the hospitals here - I worked primarily for MD Anderson) for more than five years. There has never been a requirement for specific medical certification for interpreters, at least in my case.

In-house translators in hospitals are quite rare and primarily work in the language pair in biggest demand (understandably, Spanish in Texas).

There is an initiative coming from local TI associations to establish certification of health care interpreters - http://www.mmia.org/uploads/pages/195.pdf -, however it seems to be at the very initial stage. Many states as you will see have their own associations of healthcare interpreters.

The University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation - http://nci.arizona.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=36 - offers some brief courses for medical interpreters.

Hope this will help.





This is actually valuable information! So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to get certified if you want to work as a medical interpreter at a hospital through a translation agency.

My plan was to get certified and to get a full-time job with a hospital. However, I am now having second thoughts about it after your remark about the rarity of such positions.

So how often do you get such assignments through your agency?

[Edited at 2009-03-06 08:00 GMT]


[Edited at 2009-03-06 13:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Certification Mar 6, 2009

http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/msa/LTC/

http://www.imiaweb.org/education/LLTesting.asp

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Facilities/UWMedicalCenter/InterpreterServices/becomeaninterpreterortranslator.htm

http://www.massgeneral.org/interpreters/default.aspx


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bellevue Comm College Mar 6, 2009

Bellevue is on the other side of the Lake Washington from Seattle. They have a program.

http://conted.bcc.ctc.edu/translation/ticert.asp

But, agencies and hospitals as far as I know, do not consider this kind of degrees very much when hiring.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
Visit website of CHIA & register Mar 6, 2009

Greetings... privyet...

You might visit the website of the California Healthcare Interpreters Association (CHIA). CHIA has several regional chapters [with various-sized memberships] throughout California.

CHIA, in conjunction with The California Endowment, has been involved for some years in developing standards and validation measures for certifying interpreters who specialize in supporting the delivery of medical care, nursing and patient/family relations.

As other posters have kindly mentioned in this thread, several certification programs are available from academic and commercial sources. That said, you might bear in mind that such programs (1) are costly and time-intensive, (2) their certification may have little direct utility or relevance to your engagement as a medical interpreter, and (3) certification by an authority in one state does not normally convey to other states for similar accreditation by reciprocity.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Persian, and Kurdish
Member, CHIA, Los Angeles Chapter
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2009-03-06 16:43 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical certification again...

Advanced search







WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs