https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/130880-interpreters_code_of_ethics_what_does_it_mean_to_you_personally.html

Interpreter's Code of Ethics - what does it mean to you personally?
Thread poster: Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2009

Hi to everyone,

in the Interpreting module at University we are currently studying the Interpreter's Code of Ethics and as I am hoping to become an interpreter I would like to know what does the Code mean to you personally, if it has an influence on your personally set performance standards and if organizations comply with the requirements of providing the best working conditions.

All opinions and points of view welcome, they will give me some insight into my future pro
... See more
Hi to everyone,

in the Interpreting module at University we are currently studying the Interpreter's Code of Ethics and as I am hoping to become an interpreter I would like to know what does the Code mean to you personally, if it has an influence on your personally set performance standards and if organizations comply with the requirements of providing the best working conditions.

All opinions and points of view welcome, they will give me some insight into my future profession.

Cheers:)

The AIIC code has been mentioned many times in our classes, but please feel free to comment on any of them:)

[Edited at 2009-03-22 15:12 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-22 23:36 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which one? Mar 22, 2009

diana coada wrote:
In the Interpreting module at University we are currently studying the Interpreter's Code of Ethics...

Which one? I mean, which code (not which university).

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Code of Ethics Mar 22, 2009

I am in my eighth year as a medical interpreter in the Seattle area and I can say that the code of ethics is not very well known. Interpreters do not always comply, at least here, in the area of Seattle.
In my opinion, this is due to a lack of control from medical institutions and their personnel. It seems to me that all is required for the interpreter is to be clear in English first. Moreover, she or he have to have no complains for patients, patient's families and providers.

... See more
I am in my eighth year as a medical interpreter in the Seattle area and I can say that the code of ethics is not very well known. Interpreters do not always comply, at least here, in the area of Seattle.
In my opinion, this is due to a lack of control from medical institutions and their personnel. It seems to me that all is required for the interpreter is to be clear in English first. Moreover, she or he have to have no complains for patients, patient's families and providers.

Now if the interpreter offers any kind of advice or medical information drives patients home after the visit or becomes the patient or the patient’s family representative, nobody cares.
I could elaborate about all this or tell the many situations I have seen but it is probably for another time and topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
National Council on Interpreting in Health Care Develops
National Standards for Interpreters

Work co-funded by The Commonwealth Fund and The California Endowment to bring national standards of practice in health care to interpreters.

Download documents by clicking the links below:

National Standards of Practice for Interpreters in Health Care, September 2005
http://data.memberclicks.com/site/ncihc/NCIHC%20National%20Standards%20of%20Practice.pdf

National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Health Care, July 2004
http://data.memberclicks.com/site/ncihc/NCIHC%20National%20Code%20of%20Ethics.pdf

CHIA, MMIA and NCIHC Joint Letter of Support, September 2005
http://data.memberclicks.com/site/ncihc/NCIHC%20Letter%20of%20Joint%20Support.pdf
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Following your edit... Mar 22, 2009

diana coada wrote:
The AIIC code has been mentioned many times in our classes, but please feel free to comment on any of them

I assume you mean this one?
http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article24.htm

It seems as silly as any of the translators' codes of ethics that I've seen. When I say "silly" I don't mean invalid. I myself have signed at least two such codes and I endeavour to adhere to them. But they are commonly necessarily vague in some respects and unnecessarily specific in other ways.

Here, take this item:

Article 4
Members of the Association shall not accept any job or situation which might detract from the dignity of the profession.

Can you tell us some examples of situations that might detract from the dignity of the interpreting profession?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simple - the "emperor's new clothes" case Mar 22, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:Can you tell us some examples of situations that might detract from the dignity of the interpreting profession?

Simple - the so-called "emperor's new clothes" case for instance: interpreting without having your pants on. I never do it. I swear.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
Court interpreter's perspective (California, USA) Mar 22, 2009

I personally find that the code protects me when the people I interpret for want me to be "on their side", or simply assume that I am on their side.

Before I start interpreting, I introduce myself to the party I interpret for and say: "According the Interpreter's code of ethics, I am obligated to interpret everything you are going to say, and I will do so. Please refrain from saying anything you do not wish to be interprete
... See more
I personally find that the code protects me when the people I interpret for want me to be "on their side", or simply assume that I am on their side.

Before I start interpreting, I introduce myself to the party I interpret for and say: "According the Interpreter's code of ethics, I am obligated to interpret everything you are going to say, and I will do so. Please refrain from saying anything you do not wish to be interpreted".

They do anyway, of course. Once in the courtroom the defendant said to me: "The judge just shitted on himself", and then gave me an angry look when I interpreted it! Well, Sir, you had been warned...

It also protects me when the attorneys ask inappropriate questions. For example: "Isn't it obvious that she is lying through her teeth?" or "Isn't the whole case blown out of water?". I'm very happy that I can answer: "I'm very sorry, but the Interpreter's Code of Ethics" does not allow me to answer this question.

The same applies when they try to complain about their doctors, their attorney, or how their case is handled. Being able to say: "I'm sorry, but I'm bound by the Code of Ethics and cannot comment on that" saves me a lot of headache.

It also give me an easy way to politely decline all sort of inappropriate requests.

In short, I find it helpful to distance myself emotionally and not to get involved.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
English to Russian
+ ...
One exception Mar 22, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:Can you tell us some examples of situations that might detract from the dignity of the interpreting profession?

Simple - the so-called "emperor's new clothes" case for instance: interpreting without having your pants on. I never do it. I swear.

Vito, I gather you don't interpret over the phone!

Because the beauty of phone interpreting is: nobody cares what, if anything, you are wearing!

Faruk Atabeyli
Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nairobi Charter Mar 22, 2009

You may find this link useful.

http://www.fit-ift.org/download/referencebil.pdf

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
AIIC-member: valuable credential. Mar 23, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

diana coada wrote:
The AIIC code has been mentioned many times in our classes, but please feel free to comment on any of them

I assume you mean this one?
http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article24.htm

It seems as silly as any of the translators' codes of ethics that I've seen. When I say "silly" I don't mean invalid. I myself have signed at least two such codes and I endeavour to adhere to them. But they are commonly necessarily vague in some respects and unnecessarily specific in other ways.

Here, take this item:

Article 4
Members of the Association shall not accept any job or situation which might detract from the dignity of the profession.

Can you tell us some examples of situations that might detract from the dignity of the interpreting profession?

Conference interpreting is the highest rung on the ladder of the language professions.
You can not annoint yourself overnight, you have to pass entrance exams and final exams at a university of good standing (on the AIIC-list), be accepted by a mentor, (AIIC-interpreter with xxx years of experience who will vouch for you), become an aspirant-member and finally a member.
FIT is for translators
AIIC is for the "happy few", who consider themselves the dignitaries of the interpreting profession.

"which might detract from the dignity of the profession".

Some of those guidelines can be "interpreted" in a very broad sense.

* AIIC: Association Internationale des Interprètes de Conférence i.e.
not an association of legal, medical or telephone interpreters.

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-03-23 09:21 GMT]

[Bijgewerkt op 2009-03-23 19:04 GMT]

MMFORREST
MMFORREST  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Quite right, Alexandra! Mar 23, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

Vito Smolej wrote:

Vito, I gather you don't interpret over the phone!

Because the beauty of phone interpreting is: nobody cares what, if anything, you are wearing!

Yes, it is the beauty of being a telephone interpreter, even if it's not very well paid! Only it's a bit cold in the UK to be scantily dressed when I answer the phone...

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Reply to Alexandra Mar 23, 2009

"Before I start interpreting, I introduce myself to the party I interpret for and say: "According the Interpreter's code of ethics, I am obligated to interpret everything you are going to say, and I will do so. Please refrain from saying anything you do not wish to be interpreted".

I agree 100% with what you say. Fair enough, I don't do legal interpreting, but I do do medical interpreting.

As a professional I would be doing every party concerned a disservice were I no
... See more
"Before I start interpreting, I introduce myself to the party I interpret for and say: "According the Interpreter's code of ethics, I am obligated to interpret everything you are going to say, and I will do so. Please refrain from saying anything you do not wish to be interpreted".

I agree 100% with what you say. Fair enough, I don't do legal interpreting, but I do do medical interpreting.

As a professional I would be doing every party concerned a disservice were I not to interpret every single word being said. I even do it when telephone interpreting, even if I can "hear" the official getting slightly exasperated. To do otherwise would be dishonest, unfair and grossly unprofessional.

It keeps everybody on their toes too!

I never take sides.

Kind regards
Liz Askew
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
One step further Mar 23, 2009

Before I start interpreting, I introduce myself to the party I interpret for and say: "According the Interpreter's code of ethics, I am obligated to interpret everything you are going to say, and I will do so. Please refrain from saying anything you do not wish to be interpreted".

Basic orientation in court for ex-officio interpreters practically implies you're a facility. You're there to ensure human rights are not violated and/or there won't be a nonsuit because it may be alleged that they were.

And there are lawyers dying to jump that excuse. Sometimes one hesitation can be seized by an advocate grasping at straws to hold up due process.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Protection Mar 26, 2009

I do exactly the same. The person you're interpreting for is often so relieved that there is someone who can understand him/her, they are ready to tell you just about anything - and I mean ANYTHING, so you have to stop them immediately.

They also have to be made to understand that you are neither friend or there to give legal advice but a conduit.

Indeed, I am often complimented by the police on my professional conduct as apparently many interpreters carry on long conversations with the interpretee, on a personal level, without translating the content.

And btw, I see nothing wrong with interpreting without underwear!

Marga Demmers (X)
Marga Demmers (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Workshop Proz.conference on ethics and personal dilemmas Jul 2, 2009

During the Proz.com Netherlands Regional Event (21-22 November 2009, http://www.proz.com/conference/124) a workshop will be dedicated to this topic. We will discuss the existing codes of ethics and the dilemmas in which the interpreters find themselves while doing their job. It promises to be a very interesting workshop with a lively discussion, so why not join us?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter's Code of Ethics - what does it mean to you personally?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »