Thread poster: Trans_Interp
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
it's not all about money! Jun 23, 2012

'Regarding the NRPSI, i find it very strange that they refuse working for the same money when oportunity arrises....sadly'

The point is that every time an RPSI accepts a job but that the appointed outsourcer was unable to fulfil, then all that is happening is that this ridiculous system is being propped up and that's what we refuse to do. This same is true for agencies who may be making money in the short term and I should imagine that the margins are very slim here, they too are
... See more
'Regarding the NRPSI, i find it very strange that they refuse working for the same money when oportunity arrises....sadly'

The point is that every time an RPSI accepts a job but that the appointed outsourcer was unable to fulfil, then all that is happening is that this ridiculous system is being propped up and that's what we refuse to do. This same is true for agencies who may be making money in the short term and I should imagine that the margins are very slim here, they too are doing nothing other than helping out their competitor.

So, it is not that strange that we refuse to work for the same money when the opportunity arises.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Breaking news Jul 19, 2012

Concerned professionals please read the part on "Call for evidence":

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/interpretation-and-translation-services/

This followed on
... See more
Concerned professionals please read the part on "Call for evidence":

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/interpretation-and-translation-services/

This followed on an earlier announcement: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1583008_applied-language-solutions-founder-quits
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
The latest... Aug 9, 2012

on this fiasco: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19186942 Could you imagine the furore if people in other "public services" (schools, hospitals, etc.) did not have the relevant CRB checks? So vulnerable people don't need interpreters?

May I raise two further points on this issue here to colleagues?
1 - I hope I do not sound patronising in saying so and I hope many interpreters (inclu
... See more
on this fiasco: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19186942 Could you imagine the furore if people in other "public services" (schools, hospitals, etc.) did not have the relevant CRB checks? So vulnerable people don't need interpreters?

May I raise two further points on this issue here to colleagues?
1 - I hope I do not sound patronising in saying so and I hope many interpreters (including for sign language) and other concerned parties have made submissions to the Justice Select Committee's inquiry (mentioned below) already: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/interpretation-and-translation-services/
However, it is really important that as many submissions as possible are made to this call for evidence. This can be done by individuals or a group of individuals (or agencies) and does not need to address all six points, if only one if relevant to you. Furthermore, you do not need to be directly affected; see this document about select committee inquiries and what happens to the responses afterwards:
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/Select-Committee-Inquiries.pdf
A lot has been said here and elsewhere and the inquiry itself is clearly the result of successful lobbying by concerned individuals to their MPs and the Justice Select Committee itself and this should be reflected in the submissions. Of course, some will submit how wonderful the process has been. However, since the issue is of serious concern across the board and to various professions, and the evidence presented could help to inform future policy and action on interpreting, as well as lobbying on the issue, it is important that as broad a range of views are submitted. This is a really useful opportunity.

2 - I assure you I'm not politicking, but out of curiosity, have any interpreters(' organisations) considered forming a bloc at the TUC action on 20 October to highlight this issue?
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Aisha Aug 9, 2012

As far as I'm aware, there is the Professional Interpreters' Alliance, and, on the EU level, some associations acting under the EU aegis (TRAFUT).

However, the matter (from the EU perspective) calls for much broader involvement, with the input of judges, laywers, parties, administrators, universities and everyone affected -- including users (hospitals, police, etc.) Sitting down to a dialogue on what is really happening would be useful. The MET police, for one, have admitted that hi
... See more
As far as I'm aware, there is the Professional Interpreters' Alliance, and, on the EU level, some associations acting under the EU aegis (TRAFUT).

However, the matter (from the EU perspective) calls for much broader involvement, with the input of judges, laywers, parties, administrators, universities and everyone affected -- including users (hospitals, police, etc.) Sitting down to a dialogue on what is really happening would be useful. The MET police, for one, have admitted that high costs partly stem from their own adminstrative shortcomings, and have tried to correct them (as reported).
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
National Audit Office's report on the Ministry of Justice’s language services contract Sep 12, 2012

A non-translator colleague kindly forwarded this report, published Monday, to me:
http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/1213/moj_language_services.aspx
It is a rather comprehensive report and is quite interesting, particularly the findings and recommendations. If you have the time to read it, I'd be interested to know the thoughts of interpreter colleagues on th
... See more
A non-translator colleague kindly forwarded this report, published Monday, to me:
It is a rather comprehensive report and is quite interesting, particularly the findings and recommendations. If you have the time to read it, I'd be interested to know the thoughts of interpreter colleagues on the results and how they tally with your own experiences over this year.
Thanks, Aisha
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Update Oct 22, 2012

Re the links given by Aisha Maniar:

The House of Commons Public Accounts Committee, chaired by Margaret Hodge, sat on Monday 15 October, and the NAO Report mentioned above was extensively referred to; the Author of the Report was present at the hearing.

If you are in the UK you can watch the whole thing online here:
... See more
Re the links given by Aisha Maniar:

The House of Commons Public Accounts Committee, chaired by Margaret Hodge, sat on Monday 15 October, and the NAO Report mentioned above was extensively referred to; the Author of the Report was present at the hearing.

If you are in the UK you can watch the whole thing online here:

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingId=11492

The members of the Committee (consisting of MPs from both ends of the political spectrum) were extremely angry with the whole process and how it was being inadequately overseen.

I have never seen the Government's own top officials being given such a grilling. They seemed completely incompetent - and were told so !

Well worth a watch, and of great interest to all interpreters/translators.

PS the Committee is meeting again today (Monday 22 Oct) at 5 PM and you can watch it live on the same website.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 11:37 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Change of date Oct 22, 2012

Tom,

I believe the meeting has now been changed to October 29.

Wasn't it just amazing, I'm now officially in love with Margaret Hodge.

This can also be followed as mentioned before on Twitter, and NRPSI linguist lounge.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
We *heart* Margaret Hodge Oct 22, 2012

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Tom,

I believe the meeting has now been changed to October 29.

Wasn't it just amazing, I'm now officially in love with Margaret Hodge.

This can also be followed as mentioned before on Twitter, and NRPSI linguist lounge.

I would NOT like to be on the wrong side of Margaret Hodge. However as an inveterate Parliamentary Select Committee watcher (OK, I'm sad, I know....) sometimes, especially in hot weather, Mrs. Hodge's attire can tend towards the inappropriate.

The Committee now has a solid body of evidence on which to reflect- with more to come and thanks for the correction of the date for its next sitting.

I hope they further investigate the initial OJEU tendering process and how on earth it was that the Ministry of Justice boiled down the 300+ Expressions of Interest to just ONE and then apparently moved the goalposts and negotiated different terms with the famous, now nationally-known "XXXXX".

I would also be interested to know why it is not the MoJ's business when "XXXXX" is almost immediately (so to speak) swallowed up by the vast company that "Private Eye" always refers to as "YYYYYY" (see Charlie's post above) - surely if I sign a contract with you, and you then fall under the control of a large behemoth, I would have something to say about that?

[Edited at 2012-10-22 09:31 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The reduction in rates Oct 22, 2012

Aisha Maniar wrote:

I find this interesting:

Our modelling shows that, under the terms initially set out, average income for an interpreter would drop by some 20 per cent. ... Changes to pay and benefits introduced after the contract came into operation have subsequently reduced the average drop in income to 8 per cent...
(page 15 of the PDF, compared to page 34 and 36 of the PDF)

I would love to see that model, because I don't see how income could have dropped by ony 20% if the per-hour rate offered by Company X is 26% less than in the old system (Company X = GBP 22 per hour, old system = GBP 30 per hour). And I really don't see how the current difference can be only 8%, seeing that the only changes made by Company X in payment was to increase the per-kilometre payment from 20p to 40p, and to add GBP 5.00 to any booking as a whole. What am I missing?

[Edited at 2012-10-22 10:50 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Joining the ♥ Margaret Hodge club ♥ Oct 22, 2012

Just watched the whole 2hrs 22 mins of it. Great viewing! Well worth my morning vanishing for!

As for Ann Beasley and the two clowns sat either side of her - it makes you wonder how they rise to such positions of power and authority when they are not only utterly incompetent but also thick as two short planks.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Interesting to see what causes problems Oct 22, 2012

Aisha Maniar wrote:

This report is an interesting read because it shows what can go wrong. A difference in terminology is one of the issues mentioned in it:

2.20 Some staff in the Ministry said that they had initially misunderstood what ‘registered’ meant, when the term was used by Company X. Early in the preparation phase, Company X told the Ministry that it had around 2,600 interpreters registered to work with it on justice jobs. Under the old system, a registered interpreter was someone who had been checked and entered onto the NRPSI register. But in Company X’s terminology, a registered interpreter was someone who had expressed an interest in working with the company but was still to submit documentary evidence and be assessed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Salaries Oct 22, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Just watched the whole 2hrs 22 mins of it. Great viewing! Well worth my morning vanishing for!

As for Ann Beasley and the two clowns sat either side of her - it makes you wonder how they rise to such positions of power and authority when they are not only utterly incompetent but also thick as two short planks.

yes- and I'd I've looked up how much they earn. I'm amazed they haven't been sacked.

Ann Beasley currently earns between a minimum of £130,000 and a maximum of £134,999.

Peter Handcock gets more: between a minimum of £145,000 and a maximum of £149,999.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/9g8948v

(Edited to add salary information)

[Edited at 2012-10-22 11:47 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Salaries and Next Meeting Oct 22, 2012

Those salaries for those people are just offensive.

Although I'm sure Tom's already aware, for anyone else out there who's interested, current information confirms the next meeting should be on Monday 29th October at 3:15....

3.15pm Public Accounts
Subject: Ministry of Justice Language Services
Witness(es): Andy Parker, Joint Chief Operating Officer, Ca
... See more
Those salaries for those people are just offensive.

Although I'm sure Tom's already aware, for anyone else out there who's interested, current information confirms the next meeting should be on Monday 29th October at 3:15....

3.15pm Public Accounts
Subject: Ministry of Justice Language Services
Witness(es): Andy Parker, Joint Chief Operating Officer, Capita plc
http://services.parliament.uk/calendar/#!/calendar/Commons/SelectCommittee/2012/10/29/events.html

I'm definitely going to be watching!

Edited to add:

I hope my secret crush 'Maggie' will be there ♥ ♥ ♥

[Edited at 2012-10-22 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Brilliant! Oct 22, 2012

I just wish I had the time to watch the whole thing!

Louise Gough
Louise Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Next hearing... Oct 22, 2012

The hearing of the Public Accounts Committee on the 29th is actually the belated grilling of the contractor, which was unable to appear last Monday. That should be interesting. However, the hearing by the Justice Select Committee on this subject is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 9.45. Here's the ... See more
The hearing of the Public Accounts Committee on the 29th is actually the belated grilling of the contractor, which was unable to appear last Monday. That should be interesting. However, the hearing by the Justice Select Committee on this subject is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 9.45. Here's the link: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/justice-committee/news/court-interpreters/

The transcript of last Monday's PAC session is here (if you prefer to skim-read rather that watch, though unfortunately a transcript cannot convey squirming) http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmpubacc/uc620-i/uc62001.htm
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privatization of legal interpreting services in the UK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »