Thread poster: Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
Local time: 00:38
English to Italian
+ ...
May 18, 2004

I wonder whether you are willing to read what the dream of my life was. It'll probably take a couple of minutes.
When I was 7, our general teacher (at the Italian primary school you had only two teachers in the '70s) recommended our parents to spend a few Liras to buy an English book. All the parents agreed and we, the pupils, had a brand new English book the week after.
"What's that?" "That's a horse"
This is the first sentences I learnt.
All began from there.
In t
... See more
I wonder whether you are willing to read what the dream of my life was. It'll probably take a couple of minutes.
When I was 7, our general teacher (at the Italian primary school you had only two teachers in the '70s) recommended our parents to spend a few Liras to buy an English book. All the parents agreed and we, the pupils, had a brand new English book the week after.
"What's that?" "That's a horse"
This is the first sentences I learnt.
All began from there.
In the pages of that book I started to nourish my dream. Since then I've always perceived that my future would be "English". Actually, I couldn't know it rationally, but I felt it.
Now I'm 34 and I'm not an interpreter, but a translator. I couldn't attend Interpreting at university for family reasons and I graduated in Foreign Languages and specialized in translation. I've worked in this industry for 10 years now, but still my dream is there: being a conference/simultaneous interpreter.
Although I believe I'm a good translator, I feel I've not achieved my dream.
I hope that you, REAL interpreters, don't think I'm silly.
Sometimes I also do liason interpreting and I like it MADLY. Everybody is happy with my work when interpreting.
Here comes my question.
I know I will never become a conference interpreter now, but I would like to give myself a try by training, somehow.
I think that interpreters are MAGICIANS, semi-Gods, from my point of view.
Since I've establish my own business and cannot leave the office for more than a few days, can you help me find on-line/distance training for interpreters with on-site tutorials/evaluations?
Anything that can help me plunge into interpreting. I might become a "simultanous interpreter" for my family: better than nothing.
Can dreams come true?
Pamela

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:38]

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:39]

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:51]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-18 11:07]
Collapse

IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:38
English to Georgian
+ ...
It's not too late... May 18, 2004

Dear Pamela,

I am a professional simultaneous/conference interpreter and I love my job. I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't help you with giving you websites for online courses but I just wanted to encourage you to go for your dream. It is not too late and you can still do it if you really want it to happen.

Good luck,
Irina

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Why English? May 18, 2004

Hi, Pamela.
Some people fall in love with a certain foreign language and culture. Do you fall into this category? Personally, I like foreign languages in general. English is by far, my first foreign language but that's only accidental, I don't rule out the possibility of changing it in the future.
My dream is also to work full-time as an interpreter, I'm only starting and it's proving really tough.
My advice is to consider the possibility of learning an exotic language and wo
... See more
Hi, Pamela.
Some people fall in love with a certain foreign language and culture. Do you fall into this category? Personally, I like foreign languages in general. English is by far, my first foreign language but that's only accidental, I don't rule out the possibility of changing it in the future.
My dream is also to work full-time as an interpreter, I'm only starting and it's proving really tough.
My advice is to consider the possibility of learning an exotic language and working with it instead of English, which would enhance your chances. I think most people advice to learn one of the languages of the countries that have just joined the EU.
Actually, I still haven't considered this possibility seriously, but it would be a good idea.
Collapse

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keep on writing May 19, 2004

Dear Irina and Javier,
first of all thank you for your replies.
I did need some sympathy. But, I urge other people to keep writing and let me know their thoughts.
Yes, I just fell in love with English and then Spanish. It's something I feel deep inside and accompanies me each day. While I'm translating, I would rather be interpreting.
Each time I'm abroad, especially Spain, after a while, people start to believe I'm Spanish and that's the biggest award I can aspire to. <
... See more
Dear Irina and Javier,
first of all thank you for your replies.
I did need some sympathy. But, I urge other people to keep writing and let me know their thoughts.
Yes, I just fell in love with English and then Spanish. It's something I feel deep inside and accompanies me each day. While I'm translating, I would rather be interpreting.
Each time I'm abroad, especially Spain, after a while, people start to believe I'm Spanish and that's the biggest award I can aspire to.
Your advice, Javier, to go for exotic languages seems difficult to me. I'm 34 and, if I want to start training, I must start with a language I know. Starting from the beginning, say with Greek or Polish or Swedish, would be impossible.
It would be a different thing with Spanish or French, but these are even thougher fields.
In any case, I'll keep on trying. I'm manage, somehow.
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Intersting thread on biblit.it May 19, 2004

Hi Pamela

There's currently a thread about becoming an interpreter after a more general linguistic qualification in the Italian literary translators' mailing group ( http://it.groups.yahoo.com/group/Biblit/messages ) - "Diventare traduttore e interprete" is the title of the thread. You might find some of suggestions useful.

Hold on to your true dream!
Best
... See more
Hi Pamela

There's currently a thread about becoming an interpreter after a more general linguistic qualification in the Italian literary translators' mailing group ( http://it.groups.yahoo.com/group/Biblit/messages ) - "Diventare traduttore e interprete" is the title of the thread. You might find some of suggestions useful.

Hold on to your true dream!
Best luck

[Edited at 2004-05-19 11:09]
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
My reply May 19, 2004

Hi Pamella,
Older people than you add foreign working languages in Brussels, they don't have a choice. It's the only advice I can give you, since I'm also starting and I hardly know how to do it myself.
As for the exotic languages, some are easier than others. Since you already have a sound knowledge of Romance languages, why don't you consider adding others like Portuguese or Romanian? In my case, I'm giving English a go but if it doesn't work I'll try Dutch in a couple of year's t
... See more
Hi Pamella,
Older people than you add foreign working languages in Brussels, they don't have a choice. It's the only advice I can give you, since I'm also starting and I hardly know how to do it myself.
As for the exotic languages, some are easier than others. Since you already have a sound knowledge of Romance languages, why don't you consider adding others like Portuguese or Romanian? In my case, I'm giving English a go but if it doesn't work I'll try Dutch in a couple of year's time.
Anyway, stay in touch. I've also got a passion for interpreting and I'd like that we told each other about our mutual progress.
Collapse

worldlink
worldlink  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Make a dream come true! May 21, 2004

Hi Pamela!

All you need is a little "twitch"> You probably don't give yourself enogh credit, but if you are already an accomplish translator and enjoy interpreting and really want to do it with a passion (that is my impression) all you probably need is to practice. I know it can seem intimidating, but once you are into it, it just comes out automatically, you'll be surprised! A good way to practice is listening to something with earphones (the radio, news, childre's stories) and rec
... See more
Hi Pamela!

All you need is a little "twitch"> You probably don't give yourself enogh credit, but if you are already an accomplish translator and enjoy interpreting and really want to do it with a passion (that is my impression) all you probably need is to practice. I know it can seem intimidating, but once you are into it, it just comes out automatically, you'll be surprised! A good way to practice is listening to something with earphones (the radio, news, childre's stories) and recording yourself interpreting it simultaneously. It will awkward in the begining but it only gets easier.
Good luck and don't give up!
Collapse

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 21, 2004

worldlink wrote:

Hi Pamela!

All you need is a little "twitch"> You probably don't give yourself enogh credit, but if you are already an accomplish translator and enjoy interpreting and really want to do it with a passion (that is my impression) all you probably need is to practice. I know it can seem intimidating, but once you are into it, it just comes out automatically, you'll be surprised! A good way to practice is listening to something with earphones (the radio, news, childre's stories) and recording yourself interpreting it simultaneously. It will awkward in the begining but it only gets easier.
Good luck and don't give up!

Dear Ms Wordlink,
thank you so much for your tips.
Passion is the right word! I'll try interpreting from the radio and sat TV, and I'll record myself, for a start, at least!

Thank you again.
Pamela

lucrecia giorgi (X)
lucrecia giorgi (X)
I'm sure life will give that chance! May 27, 2004

Dear Pamela,
What happens to you is wonderful, and it's called to have dreams, to want to achieve goals and that's certainly what keeps people going on! I'm sure if you want to be an interpreter and with the wide field of experience you have as a translator, life will give you the opportunity for that!!
Don't ever give up your dream

P/s: however don't forget your current job is worthy

lucrecia

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
if it can help... Jun 14, 2004

Check this site:

http://interpreters.free.fr/

'night

Paola

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million guys Jun 14, 2004

Dear All,
thank you so much for your valuable advice.,
In particulare thanks to Paola for her suggestion about looking at that Web site.
It is full of useful material and I'm surely starting from there.
You are a wonderful community.
Take care
Pam

MadRussian
MadRussian
English to Russian
you can do it Jun 16, 2004

hi Pamela,

\\\"it only can be late to start after you die...\\\" (an old Russian saying)

I don\\\'t see any problem which you could potentially face when starting to get into simultaneous interpretation... that\\\'s not that easy, yeah! but brace yourself and do it

I know what I am saying just because I\\\'ve worked as an simultaneous interpreter for three years now. I am 25yo, and I can\\\'t say I\\\'ve reached the apex of perfection in it but, at the same
... See more
hi Pamela,

\\\"it only can be late to start after you die...\\\" (an old Russian saying)

I don\\\'t see any problem which you could potentially face when starting to get into simultaneous interpretation... that\\\'s not that easy, yeah! but brace yourself and do it

I know what I am saying just because I\\\'ve worked as an simultaneous interpreter for three years now. I am 25yo, and I can\\\'t say I\\\'ve reached the apex of perfection in it but, at the same time, I can say I have achieved something. And I am proud of delivering the quality without any special diploma or degrees!!!

take care

Max

PS I suppose we are very close to each other, Italians and Russians
Collapse

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is age a problem? Jun 18, 2004

Hi, Pamela,

I am interested in the responses you get because I too am trying to become an interpreter. I have been a translator for quite a few years, but I have only interpreted for one person or two at a time in mostly relaxed situations, like at doctor's appointments and company benefit orientations, and never simultaneously.

I am now preparing to become a court interpreter, and even though I am a few years older than you, I hadn't thought age could be a problem. A
... See more
Hi, Pamela,

I am interested in the responses you get because I too am trying to become an interpreter. I have been a translator for quite a few years, but I have only interpreted for one person or two at a time in mostly relaxed situations, like at doctor's appointments and company benefit orientations, and never simultaneously.

I am now preparing to become a court interpreter, and even though I am a few years older than you, I hadn't thought age could be a problem. Actually, because of my children's age I would have never though of doing it as a career before. This is a question for those who have tried and failed, and those who have tried and succeded: Should I give up before I even start? Please don't give me hopes if there is none!

Now, with respect to resources, I found a company in California that sells legal and medical interpreter training materials in several languages www.acebo.com. I haven't use them yet, but I have already started getting myself ready for talking and listening at the same time by mimicking (shadowing) what I hear, especially the news and T.V. programs with court proceedings. This is the first step, I just repeat what I hear, in the language I hear it, after a time lag. It feels kind of like singing a round, and it reminds me of what my kids still do sometimes to each other to drive each other, and us adults, totally nuts. When I get good at that, I'll try paraphrasing what I hear. It's not easy, of course, but I believe it's far from impossible.

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2004-06-19 18:29]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

on-line/distance training for interpreters

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »