Thread poster: NGK
NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Jun 2, 2004

I'm curious to hear from simultaneous and consecutive interpreters who
+ are based in the US (because that's where I live),
+ interpret between EN-GE, EN-FR or EN-JP (because the market is different for immigrant languages), and
+ have marketed themselves successfully via avenues OTHER THAN translation agencies, interpretation equipment suppliers, or interpreters' associations (because I already know about these).

How did you market yourself? Who did you contact?... See more
I'm curious to hear from simultaneous and consecutive interpreters who
+ are based in the US (because that's where I live),
+ interpret between EN-GE, EN-FR or EN-JP (because the market is different for immigrant languages), and
+ have marketed themselves successfully via avenues OTHER THAN translation agencies, interpretation equipment suppliers, or interpreters' associations (because I already know about these).

How did you market yourself? Who did you contact?

TIA

[Edited at 2004-06-02 17:07]
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:31
English to German
+ ...
Some ideas Jun 3, 2004

Hi Norbert!

I\'m in Canada and registered as a contractor of the federal government via an institution called the Translation Bureau ( in order to qualify you must be certified in Canada and must hold an academic degree)- but there must be something similar in the States? I believe you\'re in Illinois, so why don\'t you check this site
... See more
Hi Norbert!

I\'m in Canada and registered as a contractor of the federal government via an institution called the Translation Bureau ( in order to qualify you must be certified in Canada and must hold an academic degree)- but there must be something similar in the States? I believe you\'re in Illinois, so why don\'t you check this site:
http://www.state.il.us/cms/purchase/default.htm

I think the Dept. of Commerce and Community Affairs might be a good place to start when you\'re looking for interpretation jobs.
http://www.legis.state.il.us/commission/igcc/webguide_govt.htm

Also, the radio section looks promising [\"The division also produces public service announcements, provides voice-over and narration for video and Power Point presentations, ***maintains a talent pool of state employees with broadcast and theater experience***, and provides cassette and compact disc duplication.\']

It might also be worth your while to look into the Local Chamber of Commerce.
http://www.chicagolandchamber.org/

I personally rarely interpret (too shy ;0, too nervous;))), but did some stints in our hospital and in seniors\' homes.

Hope this helped a bit and I did not list all the things you had known all along!
Cheers,
johanna
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:31
English to French
+ ...
It's WHO you know Jun 3, 2004

Hi Gunther,
simultaneous interpretations -I suppose you mean conference- is all about connections. Active interpreters have to know you, and potential clients have to know about you.
You should probably call or email interpreters in your area/state. I myself contacted a number of interpreters when I moved back to the US and they were very nice and helpful.
Potential clients may be more difficult, they don't know what you can do for them.
Luck
Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpretation for major non-immigrant languages in the USA

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »