Thread poster: IrinaGM
IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
English to Georgian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2004

Are any of you AIIC (International Association of Conference Interpreters) members? I have some questions. Please e-mail me through my profile.
Thank you.
-Irina

Donatella Talpo
Donatella Talpo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:08
English to Italian
+ ...
I'am an AIIC interpreter Sep 9, 2004

If you need any info, please do not hesitate to contact me.
donatella

Edith Kelly
Edith Kelly  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
aiic Sep 12, 2004

If you go to www.aiic.net
you will find a lot of relevant information. I\'m an aiic-member myself.

Pasteur
Pasteur  Identity Verified
French to Dutch
+ ...
Member, too Sep 16, 2004

I am an AIIC member too, and have just discovered this site two weeks ago. I am rather shocked so far to see what prices are being offered for simultaneous! WOuld like to stay in touch with other AIIC members on this site, and would like to know if there are any platinum members: is it worthwhile for interpreters of our level?
Thank you in advance for reactions!

IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 18, 2004

Thank you all for your replies. I received some valuable information from Donatella. If I have any more questions or problems I'll be asking you for more advice (if you don't mind). Thank you.

-Irina

Carlos Diaz de Leon
Carlos Diaz de Leon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am also looking Mar 2, 2005

My problem is that I have not found any AIIC members in my area (Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico)
I have been interpreting for five years, following international standards, doing my best to continuously my skills, but I fear I may NEVER have the opportunity to become a member, since I would need to be sponsored by 5 active members, and I have not been able to find even one in my language pair (EnglishSpanish).
So if any of you live or know someone who lives and works in either Baja
... See more
My problem is that I have not found any AIIC members in my area (Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico)
I have been interpreting for five years, following international standards, doing my best to continuously my skills, but I fear I may NEVER have the opportunity to become a member, since I would need to be sponsored by 5 active members, and I have not been able to find even one in my language pair (EnglishSpanish).
So if any of you live or know someone who lives and works in either Baja California, Mexico or California, please contact me. I would be eternally grateful!!
Collapse

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
interpreting rates Mar 19, 2005

Pasteur wrote:

I am an AIIC member too, and have just discovered this site two weeks ago. I am rather shocked so far to see what prices are being offered for simultaneous! WOuld like to stay in touch with other AIIC members on this site, and would like to know if there are any platinum members: is it worthwhile for interpreters of our level?
Thank you in advance for reactions!

Hi,
For an update on shocking rates (your message is a few months old but still topical), take a look at this:
http://www.proz.com/job/73299
(outsourcer is in Paris France, not in any low-cost country - listed on BB with enlightening feedback matching my own from other sources)
cordialement
dominique

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates... Mar 19, 2005

Dear colleague,

There are are indeed some shocking rates that are being offered throughout the world. I agree with you. Now, the shock is double when offers come from high-cost ("first world") developed countries' outsourcers. But, I think it is even worst when our fellow interpreters (and translators) undermine the market/our future.

We, interpreters, have some organizations (aiic being one of them) that "control" our prices, i.e. provide a floor minimum. What I woul
... See more
Dear colleague,

There are are indeed some shocking rates that are being offered throughout the world. I agree with you. Now, the shock is double when offers come from high-cost ("first world") developed countries' outsourcers. But, I think it is even worst when our fellow interpreters (and translators) undermine the market/our future.

We, interpreters, have some organizations (aiic being one of them) that "control" our prices, i.e. provide a floor minimum. What I would like to see is ALL members from aiic enforcing those rates.

Those of us who are not aiic, should think about charging fair rates. We do not have any "settings" but that gives us no reason to prostitute the market. However, those who are aiic and therefore subject to aiic's Charter/Code should abide by it and not prostitute the market.

I have seen aiic members, which to me is double the prostitution, working for very low rates (if compared to aiic's sugested rate schedule.) What is "funny", what is really is worrying, is that some aiic members I have meet (and worked with in the booth), offered (accepted) rates that were not aiic. All of us, aiic and non-aiic, should lead with the example. When I asked about them about aiic and how come they accepted those rates, the answer was: "there is not too much work at our [aiic] rates / I prefer to work at xxx than ask for yyy and get turned down..."

Accepting just below 400 pesos in Argentina, in November 2003, was it acceptable for an aiic member? Working for 390 euro per day (prior to tax) in Spain in 2002, was it within aiic's rate suggested rates?

My devaluated two cents.

JL

[Edited at 2005-03-19 23:21]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any AIIC Members?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »