Samayra Hedeman Navarro
Samayra Hedeman Navarro
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2015

Hello,

I'm interested in doing a community interpreting course online but not sure which providers/website are reliable as i want a accredited qualification.

I've came across http://www.islinguists.com/2014/08/05/level-3-certificate-community-interpreting/ but not sure whether they are reliable but it says 'The Big Word' is one o
... See more
Hello,

I'm interested in doing a community interpreting course online but not sure which providers/website are reliable as i want a accredited qualification.

I've came across http://www.islinguists.com/2014/08/05/level-3-certificate-community-interpreting/ but not sure whether they are reliable but it says 'The Big Word' is one of their partners.

What do you think? should i do the online course with them or do you know other place i could do it?

Thanks,
Sam
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
CIOL Apr 6, 2015

The Chartered Institute of Linguists have published lists of accredited, vetted course providers. Go to their website, click on your desired qualification and then click on the Centres .pdf documents on the right hand side of the screen.

Good luck.

Samayra Hedeman Navarro
Samayra Hedeman Navarro
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Community Interpreting course Apr 6, 2015

I know i've seen it but i can't physically attend the courses as i start working soon and the contract won't finish until August so an Online course is my best option at the moment plus i don't live in London to do short courses also i see it asks for a BA which i don't have.

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My 2c Apr 7, 2015

I've taken the DPSI with dpsionline.co.uk and have only positive things to say about the teacher and course provider in general. I think the CIOL documents include online course providers as well, so why not go through them and contact them personally with whatever questions you have. Personally, I'd pay attention to the course materials offered, the number of contact/teaching hours, the possibility of organising student practice groups, the feedback offered, pre-exam revision hours and maybe ev... See more
I've taken the DPSI with dpsionline.co.uk and have only positive things to say about the teacher and course provider in general. I think the CIOL documents include online course providers as well, so why not go through them and contact them personally with whatever questions you have. Personally, I'd pay attention to the course materials offered, the number of contact/teaching hours, the possibility of organising student practice groups, the feedback offered, pre-exam revision hours and maybe even DPSI pass rates.

There's no need for a BA, but you will be (and should be!) interviewed in order to be assessed on your language skills and potential as an interpreter.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Just wanted to add Apr 7, 2015

that the Community Interpreting course will not improve your skills or profile that much. AFAIK, the course is a three-month thing with a weekly two-hour class and touches only on very general issues. It's also not a very respected qualification IMHO, so if you do decide to go for this one, please check the teachers' background and track record.

I would personally go for a DPSI/DPI/Met test, i.e. a proper six/seven month course that will give you a very solid base in this field.
... See more
that the Community Interpreting course will not improve your skills or profile that much. AFAIK, the course is a three-month thing with a weekly two-hour class and touches only on very general issues. It's also not a very respected qualification IMHO, so if you do decide to go for this one, please check the teachers' background and track record.

I would personally go for a DPSI/DPI/Met test, i.e. a proper six/seven month course that will give you a very solid base in this field.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2015-04-07 17:31 GMT]
Collapse

Samayra Hedeman Navarro
Samayra Hedeman Navarro
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DPSI online Apr 9, 2015

I've seen the DPSI (http://dpsionline.co.uk/courses/dpsi-law/) but one thing i'm not sure if the course include the exams or I have to pay for the exams directly to CIOl? because if i do then its going to cost me around a 1,000 or a bit more.

So confused...

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
... Apr 9, 2015

All exam fees are paid directly to the exam centres, as far as I remember.

Yes, it's more than £1,000, but it's an intensive 6/7-month course and it's worth every penny if you think of the amount of new information and skills you will learn and acquire.

It's worth the investment if you want to keep interpreting. If this is just a temporary thing, however, please invest in your preferred chosen career

Helena El Masri
Helena El Masri  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
DPSI Online Apr 21, 2015

Dear Samayra,
We offer the DPSI Law and Health options and also the Community Interpreting Level 3.
Should you wish to discuss our courses further please do not hesitate to contact us by email - [email protected] - we will be happy to assist you. Helena El Masri

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Samayra, Apr 24, 2015

Here's another thread that may help you in your decision

http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/241804-dpsi_vs_community_interpreting_certificate_course_uk.html

Good luck!

Samayra Hedeman Navarro
Samayra Hedeman Navarro
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That good to know :) Apr 26, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

All exam fees are paid directly to the exam centres, as far as I remember.

Yes, it's more than £1,000, but it's an intensive 6/7-month course and it's worth every penny if you think of the amount of new information and skills you will learn and acquire.

It's worth the investment if you want to keep interpreting. If this is just a temporary thing, however, please invest in your preferred chosen career

Thanks Diana, I want to be prepared when I take the DPSI Law exams as it doesn't sound easy and i want to be qualified as i want to work in the field. looking forward to payday now and sitting the exams next year.

Thanks,
Sam

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
:) Apr 27, 2015

Keep us posted!

AnaVicente
AnaVicente
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Community Interpreting Level 3 May 19, 2015

Hi

I am looking for any provider running this course. I am based in Bridgwater, Somerset. I do not want to do it online. Please let me know if there is any schools around, I am looking online but can´t find anything

Regards,

Ana Vicente

Samayra Hedeman Navarro
Samayra Hedeman Navarro
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 7, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

Keep us posted!

I will do all i need to do now is just book an assessment and pay for the course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Community Interpreting course

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »