Skills used in telephone interpreting to overcome the absence of non verbal communication
Thread poster: nablus
nablus
nablus
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 24, 2005

Dear all,
i am a student of interpreting doing a presentation about the skills involved in telephone interpreting.More specifically, my presentation is about the tools and skills that an interpreter uses during a telehone interpreting assignement to overcome the absence of non verbal communication.I am seeking information from any body who has a good experience of telephone interpreting. Look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible,and thanks in advance for your help.

Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
your memory is one of your best tools Jan 24, 2005

and the second are fast handwriting to take good notes, third is your tone of voice to convey what is said and lets not forget a good hands free telephone with a good head set.
Hedsonia
PS: I have been interpreting on the phone for 9 years full time

Dear all,
i am a student of interpreting doing a presentation about the skills involved in telephone interpreting.More specifically, my presentation is about the tools and skills that an interpreter use
... See more
and the second are fast handwriting to take good notes, third is your tone of voice to convey what is said and lets not forget a good hands free telephone with a good head set.
Hedsonia
PS: I have been interpreting on the phone for 9 years full time

Dear all,
i am a student of interpreting doing a presentation about the skills involved in telephone interpreting.More specifically, my presentation is about the tools and skills that an interpreter uses during a telehone interpreting assignement to overcome the absence of non verbal communication.I am seeking information from any body who has a good experience of telephone interpreting. Look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible,and thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
new mobiles are used for this task Jan 25, 2005

Probably in Japan its already state of the art, but also here we see the use of 3rd generation mobile phones when interpreting by phone, e. g. for people who need sign-language. View-phone or how do you call it in English.
So things are getting better all the time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skills used in telephone interpreting to overcome the absence of non verbal communication

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »