Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Ukraine
Local time: 19:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2016

Greetings to all)

I have been approached by an old direct client, doubling as a good acquaintance of mine, with this problem, to which I haven’t yet developed a decent solution.

Given: A Skype video conference with a lecturer from LA. No budget for the booth and other equipment. Audience of about 30-40 participants.
Find: The most effective interpreting solution.

Of course, simultaneous would be the best option (for a number of reasons, time savings
... See more
Greetings to all)

I have been approached by an old direct client, doubling as a good acquaintance of mine, with this problem, to which I haven’t yet developed a decent solution.

Given: A Skype video conference with a lecturer from LA. No budget for the booth and other equipment. Audience of about 30-40 participants.
Find: The most effective interpreting solution.

Of course, simultaneous would be the best option (for a number of reasons, time savings included). But I have never had the experience of interpreting simultaneously outside the booth, just into the mike, no headsets for the audience etc. Have any of you ever done that? If yes, any advice or tips you could share? Do I (the interpreter) stay in the same room? Or do I also Skype from a different room/location? How does this even work, if at all?)

So far, I can see it happening this way. The lecturer’s speech via Skype is broadcast on a plasma screen, while I am interpreting consecutively in the same room, as if during a regular consec.

Right?)) Ideas or just words of wisdom are most welcome.

[Edited at 2016-02-07 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Larisa Horback
Larisa Horback  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2016)
Russian to English
+ ...
Language solutions Feb 7, 2016

As I understood you need translate the conference of 30+ people simultaneously using skype, right?
Well, booth is good, however, in the USA you can rent translation equipment, there is a link... See more
As I understood you need translate the conference of 30+ people simultaneously using skype, right?
Well, booth is good, however, in the USA you can rent translation equipment, there is a link

http://www.abbn.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA89u1BRDz8enExq7rvN0BEiQAaFCHm_3TUXScdEV-nx7mkL1tI-jt8cFPEwp5BlR8QYuswnoaAj6G8P8HAQ
Collapse

Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the interesting link, but the venue is Ukraine Feb 7, 2016

Larisa, thank you for the link. But it'll be taking place in Ukraine, I should've mentioned that in the starter post. The client's budget is very tight, they can't afford the equipment. So, they want me to figure something out, how to handle this best, given the financial constraints.

So, yes, I will have to interpret at a Skype conference. The speaker from California will deliver his speech via Skype and then there will be a Q&A. I will be somewhere around, most likely in the same
... See more
Larisa, thank you for the link. But it'll be taking place in Ukraine, I should've mentioned that in the starter post. The client's budget is very tight, they can't afford the equipment. So, they want me to figure something out, how to handle this best, given the financial constraints.

So, yes, I will have to interpret at a Skype conference. The speaker from California will deliver his speech via Skype and then there will be a Q&A. I will be somewhere around, most likely in the same room.

I just can't see how it can be done, other than consecutively, since the audience won't have the headsets and would otherwise have to listen to two people talking at the same time)
And that would require twice the time(

But maybe someone has different experience?
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Forget the booth Feb 7, 2016

1. Use the bidule for the Skype conference (with headsets for the attendees)
2. Do the Q&A session in consecutive.

Unfortunately, your client is trying to do this on the cheap, but this is not possible.

Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this bidule is cool, just googled it Feb 7, 2016

but I love the good old booth, what can I say)

yes, the tighter budget, the fewer the opportunities.

thanks for the input, Diana!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Feb 8, 2016

Anzhelika Kuznetsova wrote:

but I love the good old booth, what can I say)

.. your client is not paying for it, is he?

Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Anzhelika Kuznetsova
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the booth? No, not paying. Feb 8, 2016

They can't pay for any interpreting equipment at this point. And the only practicable solution in this case, as I see it, is consec. It would take twice longer, but I just can't seem to think of anything else that wouldn't involve extra costs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simultaneous without the (beloved) booth? Call for ideas

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »