https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/30107-a_funny_moment_during_interpretation.html

Off topic: A funny moment during interpretation
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 4, 2005

It happened yesterday:

In the court (Workers Compensation case,) the judge said:

- Raise your right hand to be sworn. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

The claimant replied:

Your Honor, I have injured my left hand, not my right one.

It was extremely difficult for me to interpret the answer without laughing but I
... See more
It happened yesterday:

In the court (Workers Compensation case,) the judge said:

- Raise your right hand to be sworn. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

The claimant replied:

Your Honor, I have injured my left hand, not my right one.

It was extremely difficult for me to interpret the answer without laughing but I did not have much choice...

Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm laughing Mar 5, 2005

Great one, Monica! That really happened to you? I don't think I would have had the same self control as you.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Mar 5, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:
That really happened to you?

Dear Edward,
it really did. I giggled a few other times during the interpretation, but the judge did not get upset with me. Fortunately, the case ended quickly, since the claimant had already reached an agreement (outside) with the insurance company and his former employer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A funny moment during interpretation

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »