Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Metropolitan Police Test results in UK, organized by IOL.
Thread poster: Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Pavlos Xirogiannidis  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:28
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re DipTrans Nov 29, 2010

But DipTrans is an accredited with Ofqual ( http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/) qualification , and it is always possible to complain to Ofqual about irregularities, suspected malpractices etc. And Ofqual will investigate these concerns. It is part of their remit to investigate malpractices in accredited qualifications.

As to Met Test there is no external regulatory body to complain to even if one or many
... See more
But DipTrans is an accredited with Ofqual ( http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/) qualification , and it is always possible to complain to Ofqual about irregularities, suspected malpractices etc. And Ofqual will investigate these concerns. It is part of their remit to investigate malpractices in accredited qualifications.

As to Met Test there is no external regulatory body to complain to even if one or many candidates might suspect malpractices. Met Test is joint production of the Met Police and CIOL and without any external independent regulator. Though there are marking criteria one can not be sure that they are always adhered to as it is not possible to obtain marked papers/recordings and to ask for a second, independent opinion.

I am not sure even if customer protection legislation is not breached in this case or it might be the case of an unfair commercial practice. And there is a lot of legislation, especially coming from EU institutions, covering these areas.

Pavlos.
Collapse

smina
smina  Identity Verified
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Met test in uk Nov 30, 2010

Dear friends HI,
I strongly agree with all of you as I sat the exam 3 times,unfortunatly could n't pass it as every time I failed technical translation.although had passed every other subjects.I found it very frustrating as i really don't know where is going wrong ,i have about 12 years of experince working as an interpreter and am IND qualified.(qualification through iol for Immigration and border agency).I took the courses provided which i believe they were big ripp offs (nothing to be
... See more
Dear friends HI,
I strongly agree with all of you as I sat the exam 3 times,unfortunatly could n't pass it as every time I failed technical translation.although had passed every other subjects.I found it very frustrating as i really don't know where is going wrong ,i have about 12 years of experince working as an interpreter and am IND qualified.(qualification through iol for Immigration and border agency).I took the courses provided which i believe they were big ripp offs (nothing to be learnt from them )the only past paper available is from 2004 in my language and nothing else!!!!!.
I have beeen on National regester for a year but they changed their regulation and decided IND is not acceptable,which is fair enough as long as they can provide some sources and refrences to be studied .
After spending all that money and not being succesful ,i found it very unfair hearing that York police took some local people with out any special experience, provided them free prep course in their home town and paid for their first round of exam .
I would like to know how many people in a year can pass this exam ,i do believe the expectation is high and that's the way it should be ,but why there is no feed back after fail exam they can clearly high light your mistakes and send the results back.
Collapse

Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Pavlos Xirogiannidis  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Met Test Dec 1, 2010

I also consider it unfair that the candidates who fail in some components can not see or hear their mistakes - especially written mistakes could be highlighted so that candidate could learn from his/her mistakes.

Otherwise also how can one be sure that there were really legitimate mistakes and not something else?

And there is also Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation and according to it it is possible to challenge some terms, provisions in contracts (notes to c
... See more
I also consider it unfair that the candidates who fail in some components can not see or hear their mistakes - especially written mistakes could be highlighted so that candidate could learn from his/her mistakes.

Otherwise also how can one be sure that there were really legitimate mistakes and not something else?

And there is also Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation and according to it it is possible to challenge some terms, provisions in contracts (notes to candidates, terms and conditions etc) as being unfair to the customer/consumer. The trader/company just can not put anything he wants in the contract and get away with it, and if there is detriment to the consumer it is possible to challenge some unfair terms:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/consumer-issues/buying-and-selling/unfair-terms-in-contracts

Pavlos.
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Met Test - not impossible! Jan 20, 2011

Hello everyone,

I passed the Met test all 6 parts first time round. I am NOT a genius. I felt I was being eaten by nerves on the day of the test piece by piece. It wasn't very easy, but it was not extremely difficult either. If you put in the effort in preparing for it, you can pass it all at first attempt!
I attended a 2 day prep course organised by IoL in London and although it was not a waste of time, especiallly the references provided, website addresses and exam day ti
... See more
Hello everyone,

I passed the Met test all 6 parts first time round. I am NOT a genius. I felt I was being eaten by nerves on the day of the test piece by piece. It wasn't very easy, but it was not extremely difficult either. If you put in the effort in preparing for it, you can pass it all at first attempt!
I attended a 2 day prep course organised by IoL in London and although it was not a waste of time, especiallly the references provided, website addresses and exam day tips were very useful but I do believe that the prep course is overpriced and the 2 days could have easily be squeezed into one day. I am now thinking of organising a prep course for MET test myself

Just a few notes on all 6 parts of the test:

Technical translation - if you are practising translator, and you have a 'feel' for legalese then it is not difficult to pass. Besides, you are allowed dictionaries, or even your own glossaries during this part.

Consecutive translation - easy enough role play. No vocab issues, no real difficulties

Statement taking - a bit pressed for time to double check the statement with the 'suspect' at the end, but nothing too demanding

Simultaneous interpreting - the scariest part of all in reputation at least, but the pace of reading is *really* slow and if you practised and practised and practised for a couple of weeks before the exam you should not stumble.

Sight translation - I found it the most challenging, and the time is a bit tight, but again, if you are a practising professional I cannot see how you can fail this.

Statement translation - the easiest part in my view, not sure why it is even there, probably for the sake of completion. You are translating the previously taken statement into English.

Good luck everybody and do not be bitter! If it was any easier it would be hardly worth having as a qualification.
Collapse

Leonid Tskhurbaev
Leonid Tskhurbaev  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
Met Test - smth. is really unfair Jan 20, 2011

Today I have received my results for the Met Test exam that I sat in December 2010. I got FAILs for all 6 components after being trained by IoL and intensive self-training. Same story with minimum 3 other people who I managed to speak to today and who found the exam easy to pass. It is pretty shocking considering the easiness of the exam, esp. some of its components. The only component that I know I did bad was Simultaneous Interpreting, but others were very easy! Especially the technical transl... See more
Today I have received my results for the Met Test exam that I sat in December 2010. I got FAILs for all 6 components after being trained by IoL and intensive self-training. Same story with minimum 3 other people who I managed to speak to today and who found the exam easy to pass. It is pretty shocking considering the easiness of the exam, esp. some of its components. The only component that I know I did bad was Simultaneous Interpreting, but others were very easy! Especially the technical translation and the consecutive interpreting.
I really regret now that I went for the Mettest because, as others experience shows, this won't happen if I would have DPSI passed first. I am really stuck now and do not know what to do next: either pay them for re-marking (£80 for each component) that will be done by a different Met test assessor (is there a guarantee?), or making a complaint/appeal (no point), or try to pass the whole exam again in March 2011, or go for DPSI in June and then try Met test after?
There is no transparency with them, you can not see you papers, mistakes etc., there is no independent body which could independently re-assess you results etc. The only option you have is just pay for the exam again and again and maybe one day you are lucky.
I wonder who has similar experience? Would be nice if you could share it.
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
DPSI Jan 20, 2011

I guess it all depends on how well prepared one is and the examination day "nerves". You are the only one to be able to decide which route to take. The only thing I would add is that I belong to the DPSI examining team and it is a fair examination, and very useful once achieved. Good luck.

Leonid Tskhurbaev wrote:

Today I have received my results for the Met Test exam that I sat in December 2010. I got FAILs for all 6 components after being trained by IoL and intensive self-training. Same story with minimum 3 other people who I managed to speak to today and who found the exam easy to pass. It is pretty shocking considering the easiness of the exam, esp. some of its components. The only component that I know I did bad was Simultaneous Interpreting, but others were very easy! Especially the technical translation and the consecutive interpreting.
I really regret now that I went for the Mettest because, as others experience shows, this won't happen if I would have DPSI passed first. I am really stuck now and do not know what to do next: either pay them for re-marking (£80 for each component) that will be done by a different Met test assessor (is there a guarantee?), or making a complaint/appeal (no point), or try to pass the whole exam again in March 2011, or go for DPSI in June and then try Met test after?
There is no transparency with them, you can not see you papers, mistakes etc., there is no independent body which could independently re-assess you results etc. The only option you have is just pay for the exam again and again and maybe one day you are lucky.
I wonder who has similar experience? Would be nice if you could share it.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Met Test Jan 21, 2011

I sat the MPT for Italian nearly five years ago and found it extremely challenging, certainly not easy as Leonid did. I did however pass first time with, immodest cough, Distinction in one paper. As I live the arse end of nowhere with no courses nearby, I ended up preparing for it by buying past papers, and practising interpreting by watching both Italian and English new programmes which usually proceed at quite a lick.
As an ex(yay) teacher, I know how crucial following instructions an
... See more
I sat the MPT for Italian nearly five years ago and found it extremely challenging, certainly not easy as Leonid did. I did however pass first time with, immodest cough, Distinction in one paper. As I live the arse end of nowhere with no courses nearby, I ended up preparing for it by buying past papers, and practising interpreting by watching both Italian and English new programmes which usually proceed at quite a lick.
As an ex(yay) teacher, I know how crucial following instructions and time management is and wonder if that played a part in failing modules. In fact, failing all 6 modules would make me wonder if perhaps I had not fully understood the requirements.
I think that I would need to know at the very least what happened with the 'easy' modules.

As for getting on the Met lists, a little research beforehand, as with any job, would have explained the situation.
Collapse

Aline C.
Aline C.

English to Finnish
Aks to see examiners' comments? Jan 22, 2011

Dear Leonid,

Have you tried using Data Protection Act and Subject Access Request to get access to examiner's marksheets?

More info here: See more
Dear Leonid,

Have you tried using Data Protection Act and Subject Access Request to get access to examiner's marksheets?

More info here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/pressreleases/2009/exam_results_final_17_08_09.ashx

and here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/data_protection_good_practice_note_access_to_exam_results.pdf

You cannot see the script of the exam (for the written test) but if I understand the ICO guidance correctly you are entitled to see comments made by an examiner, either on the script or on a separate marksheet.

If you decide to issue SAR, remember to put in a cheque for £10.00 to cover administrative expenses. Then you will have to wait 40 days for the reply.

You might find it useful to phone the ICO helpline first to ask for more information. Exam results and comments about your performance are personal information about you so there is no reason why it should not be released to you.

Anyway, worth a try and it only costs £10.00!

Kasiak
Collapse

Leonid Tskhurbaev
Leonid Tskhurbaev  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
Re met test / DPSI Feb 2, 2011

Dear Kasiak, Jesus and all who replied and shared your views re. Met test etc. Thank you so much for your precious information. I am going to sit DPSI in June and hopefully it will be much more successful this time.
Regards
Leonid

MPT Sep 1, 2011

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me where I can get past papers from and how much the actual exam costs.

DaHouseDocto (X)
DaHouseDocto (X)
Austria
Local time: 11:28
English to Slovak
+ ...
Anyone passing recently? Jun 29, 2015

PavlosX wrote:

I am curious if those who sat the Metropolitan Police Test in UK, organized by Institute of Linguists agree that the requirements are unjustifiably high , making it hard to pass it and meaning more money to be paid to the Institute to resit the failed components? Who feels that IOL twists peoples` hands forcing them to cough up money for retaking failed components? What are your opinions? are their requirements right or blown up out of reasonable proportion?

Hi guys anyone passing recently? Some of the threads are quite old.

If you have some new pointers please share it.

Thanks

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
No conspiracy here Jul 23, 2015

the Metropolitan Police Test in UK, organized by Institute of Linguists agree that the requirements are unjustifiably high

Former MET test, now DPI (Diploma in Police Interpreting) expects candidates to demonstrate high professional standards in all areas of interpreting and translation in the chosen field.

If, on familiarising themselves with past papers, a candidate has the impression that the requirements are 'unjustifiably high' then this might be an indication that they are not yet ready to take the exam.

Passing the exam entitles the interpreter to interpret in highly demanding environments, including, for example, lengthy crown court trials, which includes simultaneous and consecutive interpreting in, frequently, difficult circumstances.

I know several 'satisfied customers' who pass all the components the DPI exam at first attempt, some of them with distinctions.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metropolitan Police Test results in UK, organized by IOL.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »