Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Metropolitan Police Test results in UK, organized by IOL.
Thread poster: Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Pavlos Xirogiannidis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2005

I am curious if those who sat the Metropolitan Police Test in UK, organized by Institute of Linguists agree that the requirements are unjustifiably high , making it hard to pass it and meaning more money to be paid to the Institute to resit the failed components? Who feels that IOL twists peoples` hands forcing them to cough up money for retaking failed components? What are your opinions? are their requirements right or blown up out of reasonable proportion?

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
High standard but no obligation to complete Mar 13, 2005

I can only speak from my own experience. The Metropolitan Police test has 6 components. Nearly two years ago, I passed 5 out of 6 but failed the simultaneous interpreting. The standards were indeed high and exhausting. I had to translate as fast as I could write in long-hand, so by the time I reached the simultaneous interpreting two hours later, I was shattered. I wish I had taken immediate steps to resit the last component, because these exams only take place twice a year and if you don't pa... See more
I can only speak from my own experience. The Metropolitan Police test has 6 components. Nearly two years ago, I passed 5 out of 6 but failed the simultaneous interpreting. The standards were indeed high and exhausting. I had to translate as fast as I could write in long-hand, so by the time I reached the simultaneous interpreting two hours later, I was shattered. I wish I had taken immediate steps to resit the last component, because these exams only take place twice a year and if you don't pass all six exams within 2 years, you have to start from scratch. I also wish that Language Services had reminded me of the deadline approaching, so I don't agree that pressure is put on candidates to retake exams. Luckily, I resat the simulteanous exam after one year and a half and found it much easier the second time round. Some aspects of the exam have changed. There is now an observer to double-check that everything happens fairly. What I am less than happy about is that Language Services take so long to process the results. They want your money four months in advance, but need two and a half months (some four to six weeks longer than announced) to process the results. I now know that I passed and am patiently waiting for the 8 weeks required to process my application to be on the NRPSI, despite the fact that my Metropolitan Police Test certificate, IOL membership and unblemished Criminal Disclosure Certificate should guarantee my listing.Collapse

Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Mar 13, 2005

Thanks for your comment, Anna Lee. And who is this observer to double-check that everything happens fairly? How to contact him?

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
There is an appeals procedure Mar 15, 2005

When you apply for the exam, you are given extensive information about the entire process, including the appeals procedure. The delay of the results is actually due to the fact that all the results are double-checked by other people. My exam was recorded on tape, the exam grade would have been checked by another examiner and the recording would be made available in the case of an appeal. For more information, you could always contact Language Ser... See more
When you apply for the exam, you are given extensive information about the entire process, including the appeals procedure. The delay of the results is actually due to the fact that all the results are double-checked by other people. My exam was recorded on tape, the exam grade would have been checked by another examiner and the recording would be made available in the case of an appeal. For more information, you could always contact Language Services directly on [email protected]
They're actually not as bad as you seem to think. You can order practice papers from previous years to help you prepare for the exam.
Collapse

Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
some other comments on Met Police Exam Mar 17, 2005

I took Met Police Test back in July and was lucky enough to pass it first time round so I was happily waiting to be included in the Police Register:)

However, when I received my certificate and when I enquired as to further action I was told that Met Police only needs 1-2 interpreters in my language group in that recruitment process. I was disheartened because I felt I had taken the test in vain and I also thought that it was unfair to advertise for exams with a very slim chance of
... See more
I took Met Police Test back in July and was lucky enough to pass it first time round so I was happily waiting to be included in the Police Register:)

However, when I received my certificate and when I enquired as to further action I was told that Met Police only needs 1-2 interpreters in my language group in that recruitment process. I was disheartened because I felt I had taken the test in vain and I also thought that it was unfair to advertise for exams with a very slim chance of actually being put on the Register afterwards.

Luckily I was asked for an interview, had my counter-terrorist check done, filed all the papers and am still waiting to be put on the Register (they said it could take up to 6 months).

It's very frustrating because the candidates are not informed in advance of the procedure, they pay a lot of money for the test itself and have no guarantee of putting it to any use.
Collapse

adri32
adri32
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
how to find out how many interpreters Police have in your languages? May 31, 2005

I am wondering if going to sit Met Police exams next July. As usual, my first question is: Will this improve my chances of getting more assignments? To know the answer I need to know how many interpeters Met Police have in their Register and how often they provide them with jobs....
Any suggestions on how to find out who is on the Met Police Register?
Anybody in the some situation?
Thank you!!

Marion Sadoux
Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 13:33
English to French
+ ...
Recorded exams Jun 24, 2005

I agree that the Met test is very hard. I have tried some of the past papers and despite the fact that I can translate very fast one two past papers I could only do half of the last translation.

In so far as recordings go, I am not sure that a second examiner actually listens to them. I was under the impression that like for the DPSI, they were sent to a moderator who may or may not listen to every tape (I very much doubt it).

I could be wrong and I think that it wo
... See more
I agree that the Met test is very hard. I have tried some of the past papers and despite the fact that I can translate very fast one two past papers I could only do half of the last translation.

In so far as recordings go, I am not sure that a second examiner actually listens to them. I was under the impression that like for the DPSI, they were sent to a moderator who may or may not listen to every tape (I very much doubt it).

I could be wrong and I think that it would be worth enquiring. Universities double mark everything (sometimes even using blind double marking where you do not see the first marker's comments or grades). Surely this should also be the case with these tests?
Collapse

Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re IOL exams Jul 5, 2006

It is amazing how many professional interpreters feel that something is wrong with exam standards set by IOL . People work for years as interpreters for courts, police and fail a few times to pass most basic components of exams arranged by IOL. ..

Ram Gurung
Ram Gurung
English to Nepali
+ ...
How to register with the Police? Apr 21, 2008

Dear all,

I have recently sat on met police test and waiting for the result. As a matter of preparation, can anyone kindly pass all the information as to where should I contact to register with the police as well as for the courts?

Many thanks////

renata1979
renata1979
money grabbers Nov 20, 2010

i had my MET test in july 2010. i failed 2 modules out of 6. I was really shocked when i found out that i had failed technical translation which i thought was one of the easiest parts. I got a feedback from them and they said that big parts of the text were misinterpreted. now i admit i could have made some mistakes but i do not want to believe it was 100% fail. They didnt tell me which parts of the text were misinterpreted. Another part i failed was Simultaneous Interpreting. Most people find i... See more
i had my MET test in july 2010. i failed 2 modules out of 6. I was really shocked when i found out that i had failed technical translation which i thought was one of the easiest parts. I got a feedback from them and they said that big parts of the text were misinterpreted. now i admit i could have made some mistakes but i do not want to believe it was 100% fail. They didnt tell me which parts of the text were misinterpreted. Another part i failed was Simultaneous Interpreting. Most people find it extremely difficult. The text i got was impossible to understand and by the time i asked the reading person to slow down, i had missed big pieces of the text and the lady didnt really slow down. whats more, the assessor was scribbling something on the piece of paper during the assessment and i found it very distracting. I am re - sitting the failed modules at the end of november and i have got a feeling that i am gonna fail the simultaneous part again. i lost hope. does anyone know any websites that contain audio files that i can listen to and practice a bit?Collapse

Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Met Test as a language qualification. Nov 23, 2010

The problem with the Met test is that it is not regulated by any independent regulatory body such as Ofqual that regulates accredited qualifications such as DPSI.

Met test is unaccredited and now IOL ET started to organize it as IOL LSL that organized it before ceased to operate.

Normally Met test is just a customized assessment for the police- i am not quite sure why it was upgraded to the status of a qualification.

In the past CIOL organized customized a
... See more
The problem with the Met test is that it is not regulated by any independent regulatory body such as Ofqual that regulates accredited qualifications such as DPSI.

Met test is unaccredited and now IOL ET started to organize it as IOL LSL that organized it before ceased to operate.

Normally Met test is just a customized assessment for the police- i am not quite sure why it was upgraded to the status of a qualification.

In the past CIOL organized customized assessments for the Home Office, IAA , but these assessments were never upgraded to the status of a qualification and were never promoted as a qualification.

I would definitely go for DPSI instead of Met Test to avoid any surprises and

disappointments.

Pavlos.
Collapse

Gosia Rokicka
Gosia Rokicka
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
police interpreters Nov 28, 2010

PavlosX, the problem is that if you want to work for the Met you have to pass this test at some point anyway, regardless whether you have DPSI or not.
I have neither of them but I keep reading and trying to figure out what is best to do and when so I have some thoughts on this subject.

A couple of weeks ago the Met was recruiting interpreters in a few languages, including mine. (It wasn't advertised anywhere. I was just very persistent in pestering the Met and that's how I stu
... See more
PavlosX, the problem is that if you want to work for the Met you have to pass this test at some point anyway, regardless whether you have DPSI or not.
I have neither of them but I keep reading and trying to figure out what is best to do and when so I have some thoughts on this subject.

A couple of weeks ago the Met was recruiting interpreters in a few languages, including mine. (It wasn't advertised anywhere. I was just very persistent in pestering the Met and that's how I stumbled upon it by chance!).
Anyway, the requirements were as follows:
- ample experience in public service interpreting
- being on NRPSI (or being in the process of applying)
- knowledge of law matters / legal interpreting (preferred)
- willing to take the Met Test within 6 months from successful interview (if you don't pass within 6 months, they withdraw their job offer).

I'm not on NRPSI and can't apply now as I haven't got enough interpreting hours done yet / DPSI / degree in interpreting, so I wasn't eligible anyway.
At first I thought it would be more sensible to get more experience and knowledge, work towards being included in NRPSI and than apply to the Met - and take their test in case I am accepted. Because as someone mentioned earlier - what's the point in making such an effort if they don't need interpreters in your language anyway?
But the small print said that priority would be given to people who already have the Met Test.
So it's massively frustrating, considering the fact how difficult this test is and how ridiculously expensive!

Anyway, if someone prefers to take the route of finding out first if their language is in demand at the moment, email your enquiry to: [email protected]
They seem to answer promptly. (Calling is pointless - a person in the recruitment centre was convincing me that if they don't have info about recruiting interpreters on their careers website it means they don't recruiting. Mind that interpreters are freelancers while all jobs on that website are contract but never mind. A person in actual Language department gave me aforementioned email address and asked me to put my question in writing. This time I was successful in getting response
I guess if someone has DPSI legal option and is on NRPSI, there is a chance to get this job. But then one has to pass the Met Test within 6 months anyway...

[Edited at 2010-11-28 04:09 GMT]
Collapse

Pavlos Xirogiannidis
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re Met Test Nov 28, 2010

I am aware that it is the requirement of Met Police to have Met Test passed.

I strongly disagree though that CIOL still refers to Met test as a qualification. It is a customized assessment for Met Police.

Met Test has no independent regulator in respect to its content, marking procedures etc. There is no transparency also on behalf of CIOL. Met Police is a public body and it is logical to expect that public should have a better access to the materials of the test. If M
... See more
I am aware that it is the requirement of Met Police to have Met Test passed.

I strongly disagree though that CIOL still refers to Met test as a qualification. It is a customized assessment for Met Police.

Met Test has no independent regulator in respect to its content, marking procedures etc. There is no transparency also on behalf of CIOL. Met Police is a public body and it is logical to expect that public should have a better access to the materials of the test. If Met Police was a private business the situation would have been quite different. But public body exams should have a much higher degree of transparency in order to avoid possible abuses and malpractices of the parties involved.

And i am not sure it is worth now to join the Met police list. The situation there now is not the same as it was say 3-4 years ago. Police is also trying to save a lot of money and to minimize their costs - cost reductions refer to interpreters/translators as well.

I do a lot of business/commercial interpreting alongside legal/court/police interpreting. And i like it this way. I would not want at all to interpret mostly for police and courts as some cases may be really hard and emotional . In business/commercial interpreting the environment is very different, and it is a lot more pleasant psychologically. And in financial terms business/commercial interpreting is not worse that court/police work.

Pavlos.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same with the DipTrans Nov 28, 2010

PavlosX wrote:
It is amazing how many professional interpreters feel that something is wrong with exam standards set by IOL . People work for years as interpreters for courts, police and fail a few times to pass most basic components of exams arranged by IOL...

I must say that this also happens with the DipTrans. The chances of passing the exams seem to be inversely proportional to the number of years of work as a successful translation professional. I have seen people who had never translated professionally pass all the exams in a year, and respected, very experienced people fail several times.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metropolitan Police Test results in UK, organized by IOL.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »