Access to simultaneous material
Thread poster: beckskitten (X)
beckskitten (X)
beckskitten (X)
English
Mar 17, 2005

As a student of interpreting and translating at Heriot-Watt university in Edinburgh, I am required to write a project on my chosen topic for a Translating and Interpreting Studies class. I was wondering if anyone could help me in my search for argumentative speeches given in French which have been simultaneously interpreted into English. Written material would be preferable although audio material is just as valuable. I am required to analyse this material in essay form.

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 11:08
German to English
+ ...
Try the European Parliament website Mar 19, 2005

I occasionally have an assignment involving translating the proceedings of EP sittings into English, so I know a record similar to Hansard is kept but I don't know whether it's published. Some of the contributions certainly fit your requirement of 'argumentative', and of course they will have been simultaneously interpreted, though I very much doubt that you would have access to the interpretation. I also interpret, and it is quite unusual for a recording to be made; when it is, it's usually to ... See more
I occasionally have an assignment involving translating the proceedings of EP sittings into English, so I know a record similar to Hansard is kept but I don't know whether it's published. Some of the contributions certainly fit your requirement of 'argumentative', and of course they will have been simultaneously interpreted, though I very much doubt that you would have access to the interpretation. I also interpret, and it is quite unusual for a recording to be made; when it is, it's usually to help the organisers write the minutes and is regarded as strictly internal/confidential. Hope that helps.Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Georgian to English
+ ...
~ Mar 22, 2005

Translations (into EU languages) of debates in the European Parliament (in plenary session) are published about four weeks later. I don't know whether they are edited versions of transcripts of interpreting done at the time, or translations made directly from the transcript of the original (doubtless there are EU experts here who know the answer to that) but (I presume that) neither would be what was interpreted and heard at the time.

Apparently European Parliament debates are also
... See more
Translations (into EU languages) of debates in the European Parliament (in plenary session) are published about four weeks later. I don't know whether they are edited versions of transcripts of interpreting done at the time, or translations made directly from the transcript of the original (doubtless there are EU experts here who know the answer to that) but (I presume that) neither would be what was interpreted and heard at the time.

Apparently European Parliament debates are also streamed live on the internet - I haven't tried it, but it might be worth seeing if you can find speeches being made in French and translated into English (I don't know whether this will be practical).

There would be the same question about written records of speeches in Canadian parliamentary debates (speeches can be made in French or English and records are kept in both languages, but are likely not to be interpreting as heard, I presume), but it might be worth looking into them (and also into broadcasts or recordings?).

[Edited at 2005-03-22 10:27]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Access to simultaneous material

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »