Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:40
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2005

Hi, all.

Paul Lambert's post inspired me an idea, but maybe I am just too tired.

I have thought about recording speeches for those who are interested in Italian and of course natives of other languages (I am interested in Polish, English and French)
could do the same.

We could decide topics and record speeches suitable both for sim and cons. I guess this should be in MP3,
but I have no problem sending a cassette by ordinary mail

Let me know what you think, maybe we could have our voice files available right on Proz, who knows...

Cheers
Paola

Direct link Reply with quote

paolamonaco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
great idea! Jun 30, 2005

I am available to record speeches in Italian and I'm interested in speeches in English and Russian.

Sarah Steiner  Identity Verified
Spanish to German
+ ...
why there is nearly no reaction on topics as yours? Jul 1, 2005

Hi,

I think that is a pretty nice idea you had, and, sadly, I get confirmed again, that there is something like a lack of solidarity in the circle of translators. I got this feeling during my academic career, and get it confirmed quite a lot of times now, THAT´S REALLY SAD! If we would all collaborate a bit more, also e.g. creating termbases, pass on parallel texts and experience (etc.) life would be not only easier, but less exhausting. But...well, I hope you will still get answers. I do not work the languages you need, though.

Have a nice day ahead,
Sarah

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 11:40
English to French
+ ...
Great idea Jul 6, 2005

This is a fantastic idea. In fact I did quite a few recordings for my fellow students in preparation for the DPSI ... didn't get a single one back.
I can offer French, English and Italian... would love some recordings in Portuguese (BR or P doesn't matter).

How exactly do you suggest that we set this up?

In the meantime have a look on www.bestspeech.it
plenty of materials there in English, Spanish, Italian, German, French and Portuguese... transcripts are also available.

Yes it is a sad thing that so many people are so selfish. Translators and interpreters would really benefit far more from supporting one another rather than seing colleagues as competitors.

Come and visit this forum if you want to find like-minded people:
http://www.linguists.bravehost.com

Leticia Madrid  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2016)
English to Spanish
+ ...
sharing speeches... good idea!! Aug 30, 2005

hi all!
i am new here, and i just saw your idea about sharing speeches so we can practise consecutive interpreting. i think is great!!
my mother tongue is spanish and i need english, french and portuguese. (pretty poor contribution, sorry!)
anyway, if the idea is still on, i would be very pleased to participate!
cheers,
leticia

[Edited at 2005-08-30 22:14]

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 11:40
English to French
+ ...
Let's do it Sep 14, 2005

Hello everyone.... shall we do it then?

With other colleagues accross the world, I have set up a new website which will now be home to the Network of Independent Linguists (http://www.linguanet.org). The only active component at the moment is the discussion forum, but all the other sections are ready to be filled with content.
The idea is to set up a bank of useful resources for translators and interpreters. I am responsible for the interpreting section and for one thing I would like to have a recordings section.
Would anyone like to contribute?
Have a look at the website and if you have any email me (webmaster@linguanet.org) mp3's.
I have 3 recordings in French on decentralisation and globalisation (recorded for other educational purposes) which I am quite happy to share with others before then.
Many Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing speeches

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs