Court Interpreting
Thread poster: Ali Yildirim BA DipTransIoLET MCIL AITI

Ali Yildirim BA DipTransIoLET MCIL AITI
Local time: 09:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2005

Hi,
I will be doing my first court interpreting job next monday. I was wondering if anyone had done this before and would offer few tips?
Thanks
Ali

Direct link Reply with quote

Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you received any training in this? Aug 9, 2005

I hope you've gone to some sort of training. If you have, then you've been warned about all the usual caveats - use the first-person when interpreting for each person; use the third-person when referring to yourself; don't summarize, simplify, or change anything... Don't socialize with anyone to avoid appearance of bias... Other than a few get-acquainted words with your client, don't speak to him/her outside the presence of an attorney or prosecutor... Don't give any advice... Speak up, don't be shy in asking for repetitions, be honest about your limitations... and good luck!

Christina

NataliaElo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:40
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some tips Aug 9, 2005

Ali Yildirim wrote:

Hi,
I will be doing my first court interpreting job next monday. I was wondering if anyone had done this before and would offer few tips?
Thanks
Ali

Hi,

I was doing court interpreting in Finland, so maybe my post is not so useful for you. In Finland it is allowed for public to be in the courtroom unless for some particular reason judge prohibits it. So I went there before my first assignment and followed the procedure.

You might also call to the secretary of the court (if there is any, again I'm talking about my experience) and ask for permission to be present during a trial with the same judge.

There should be a possibility to study all the materials related to the case in advance, so this makes it a little bit easier. On the other hand people tend to be nervous while in the courtroom and this of course makes it more difficult.

Good luck!

Natalia

P.S. Don't forget to tell us how it went.

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Court Interpreting Aug 9, 2005

Natalia Elo wrote:

Ali Yildirim wrote:

Hi,
Thanks
Ali

Hi,

I was doing court interpreting in Finland, so maybe my post is not so useful for you. In Finland it is allowed for public to be in the courtroom unless for some particular reason judge prohibits it. So I went there before my first assignment and followed the procedure.

You might also call to the secretary of the court (if there is any, again I'm talking about my experience) and ask for permission to be present during a trial with the same judge.

There should be a possibility to study all the materials related to the case in advance, so this makes it a little bit easier. On the other hand people tend to be nervous while in the courtroom and this of course makes it more difficult.

Good luck!

Here is a nice link. Lots of good stuff if you dig for it! http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/courtinterpreters/infopack.htm

Natalia

P.S. Don't forget to tell us how it went.

xxxJane Lamb-Ru
French to English
+ ...
Tips Aug 9, 2005

- speak to the person for whom you are interpreting to figure out what level of education he or she has..and where they are from regionally..
- interpret on the slower rather than fast side..otherwise it will speed up and become too fast for you
- if the person goes to fast, make a discreet hand signal for them to slow down..
- don't let them set the pace; you set it..by that I mean interpret one whole meaning chunk at a time..or you might get lost the first time
- look at the person who asked the question when interpreting
- good luck to you.

Ali Yildirim BA DipTransIoLET MCIL AITI
Local time: 09:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 9, 2005

Hi,
Thanks to everybody for their contribution. I hope I will get back to you with the results of my first experience on monday. The funny thing is that evnthough I officially work for the council, they have never given me a training for this particular field of interpreting. I have taken a DPSI exam recently which everybody needs to take in the UK to work in public interpretation services to prove a suffciency in areas of their interests. I was though, not even asked for this qualification at the council when I got this job. Knowing that a guy, who owns a Kebab Shop has done interpreting in courts for the council and he was dismissed from a case because he was not able to swear properly (this happened after the lawyers of defendants complained about it) makes me think about the way the legal system still works. With your advises in mind I think it will be fine.
Thanks
Ali

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Court Interpreting

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs