Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:32
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2005

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum or if this topic is too controversial. I don't want to have a political discussion, but rather discuss the technical problems involved in interpreting.

I just heard that Saddam's trial will be broadcast internationally. I get Al-Jazeera so I can watch the trial in Arabic, but if they are going to broadcast this in the U.S., they will need to have it simultaneously interpreted into English. Will it be interpreted into other languages as well?

Given the importance of this trial and knowing that this will be broadcast around the globe, how will this impact the stress level of the interpreters?

Is this a job that you as an interpreter would turn down due to ethical concerns or would this be considered an opportunity to be involved in something of historical importance?

What are some of the difficulties involved in interpreting this trial?

[Edited at 2005-08-11 20:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 13:32
English to French
+ ...
An interpreter's view Aug 11, 2005

Hi Jeff

I don't do court interpreting, but as a conference interpreter I would work this like any other job. Simultaneous interpretation keeps you VERY busy, to a point where you don't see the TV cameras, the press or whatever anymore. (I have a few bumps to vouch for that, there's a conference center in Paris that's famous for the slanted panes in the booths...:-) )

I also don't see the ethical dilemma here. This is a trial, not some kind of political rally where people support controversial ideas.

FWIW

Sarah

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nuremberg Aug 12, 2005

I don't think the Nuremberg trials were easy for interpreters either, especially since the intepreting was necessary for the trials themselves, not merely for the public. They also involved multiple languages in every case.

The Nuremberg trials marked the birth of modern intepreting using electronic equipment, a historic moment for our profession. I have read a few anecdotes about it and recommend looking for them. For those involved it was a heroic effort. Maybe some of them are now in the ranks of Proz if granted the necessary longevity. I would hope so.

Intepreting for Saddam's trial for the media would pale in comparison, but still not easy at all.

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Saddam's trial Aug 12, 2005

Hi all

I would like to report an interesting article about this issue on The Linguist Dec.04-Jan.05 (official journal of IOL): 'What exactly did Saddam said?' by Susan Bassnet. Should anybody be interested in reading this article, I can scan it and e-mail it on request.

Anto

Jan Vano  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
German to Czech
+ ...
political trial Aug 12, 2005

sarahl wrote:

Hi Jeff

I don't do court interpreting, but as a conference interpreter I would work this like any other job. Simultaneous interpretation keeps you VERY busy, to a point where you don't see the TV cameras, the press or whatever anymore. (I have a few bumps to vouch for that, there's a conference center in Paris that's famous for the slanted panes in the booths...:-) )

I also don't see the ethical dilemma here. This is a trial, not some kind of political rally where people support controversial ideas.

FWIW

Sarah

it is a trial, but a political one

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about interpreters for Saddam's trial

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs