Mobile menu

NRPSI and DPSI what do you think?
Thread poster: Buff
Buff
Local time: 13:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2005

If you want to work as a public service interpreter today you can either have the DPSI or enough hours under your belt and be formally recognised competent (this seems to be one of the register options for instance).

If you want to work for the police you must have the DPSI and you must be on the register. No register no work.

I find this unfair.

By having the DPSI you have already satisfied the necessary competent level for public service interpreting.
By being on the register you do not gain anything extra to account for your competency.
You just have your name on a list. It seems, as I understand it, fees for the NRPSI are going up from December 2005 from £77 to, wait for this, £177 over double and a half.
Once upon a time you only needed IOL/ITI membership then came the DPSI now its DPSI NRPSI and or IOL membership...a lot of dosh for freelance work..
I toatlly agree with the concept of having the DPSI or a way to prove that without the DPSI (ex. register) you are at the necessarily competent level but why excluding DPSI holders from being interpreters for the police because they are not on the register??
I am interested in your opinions on this.
Buff

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephanie Gibbs  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:46
French to English
+ ...
NRPSI and DPSI Oct 13, 2005

I knew a Russian interpreter who was studying for the DPSI with me last year who regularly interpreted for the Police. So no DPSI and not registered with NRPSI and still working with the Police? Hm, maybe standards are a little different up here in Scotland

I agree with you that it's a lot of money to fork out for a freelancer and that the DPSI should be enough to allow you to work with the Police. The DPSI is quite difficult already! Not to mention expensive...

Jana Kohl  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
NRPSI registration fees from 1 Jan 2006 Nov 2, 2005

Hi there

> it, fees for the NRPSI are going up from December
> 2005 from £77 to, wait for this, £177 over double and a half.

I wonder if you've mixed up some information, because (I have it in writing) as from 1 January 2006 the NRPSI registration for one language is going to be £117.50 (2 languages £147350, 3 languages £177.50).

It is still a steep increase and personally I am not happy about it, but we should stick to the correct information.

Regards,
Jana

Jana Kohl  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
Correction Nov 2, 2005

2 languages £147.50

Jana

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 20:46
English to French
+ ...
What do I think??????? Nov 3, 2005

I read recently, either on these pages or on the translator's café that the NRPSI had also increased the fee they charge public bodies to have access to the list of interpreters, to such an extent that many (including courts and police forces) are now prefering to use agencies.... with some, there will be little guarantee that the interpreter is in any way qualified or has been checked for police records.... Other consequence, the interpreter will only get a fraction of the fee.

I keep receiving letters from the NRPSI, at a month's interval, telling me that my application will take 8 weeks to process.
With a bit of luck it will be in time for the new fee!!!!

David Torres
English to Spanish
An abuse Feb 21, 2007

It is absoutely outrageous to see how the registration fees have gone over the roof. And it won't even ensure enough work. And also, LSC fees have been frozen for so long, as if interpreters would not suffer something called "inflation". On top of that, I couldn't fail to notice that the quality of interpreters is goiung downhill in certain languages: it's logical- good ones move one when they realise they are being underpaid. Spanish interpreters: do not try to get any immigration work with either the IND or AIT- they have enough of them, even if their command of the languages and their technics leave more than a lot to be desired

Dagmar Cook
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
It's all in a day's work! Apr 21, 2007

To be, or not to be [on the NRPSI], that is the question! Whether it nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous NRPSI fees... etc!

It's time some of you took a reality check, here... to be fair, just one assignment at a police station or a court will more than pay for a full year's membership of the NRPSI.

If you can't sacrifice a day's pay to ensure the rest of the year's employment, then it's a sorry state of affairs, in my mind!

I am a full-time professional free-lancer, and my workload is often too much for me to handle, and I could literally work every day of every week if I let it get out of hand. OK, I appreciate that many of those here may be called upon less often... well maybe that's because you're not on the National Register!

My 60K per annum income is testament to the benefits of being on the National Register.

You ought to try it, sometime!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI and DPSI what do you think?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs