Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Consecutive interpreting memory exercise / tips on improving my memory?
Thread poster: elaine59
elaine59
elaine59
Local time: 00:35
English to Italian
Oct 27, 2005

I am new to the forum, maybe this is an old topic. I wanted to ask if anybody can give me some tips on improving my memory. I am starting out in the consecutive translation field and find that after about the third sentence I can't remember exactly what's been said, and that's even before I think about translating it. I usually (in the few I've done) do it sentence by sentence but if the speeaker goes on for longer I get lost!. Any ideas?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-27
... See more
I am new to the forum, maybe this is an old topic. I wanted to ask if anybody can give me some tips on improving my memory. I am starting out in the consecutive translation field and find that after about the third sentence I can't remember exactly what's been said, and that's even before I think about translating it. I usually (in the few I've done) do it sentence by sentence but if the speeaker goes on for longer I get lost!. Any ideas?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-27 13:21]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-27 13:23]
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Consecutive Exercises Oct 27, 2005

elaine59 wrote:

This is a decent course. Good luck!

http://www.acebo.com/edgeg.htm

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
What is your background? Oct 27, 2005

Hi Elaine, and welcome to Proz!
Maybe you could tell us a bit more about your background? Do you have a degree in interpretation??? Have you alread gained some experience???
Personally I hold that doing a lot of AD HOC interpretation(sight translation) exercises,i.e. when reading online some news and translating them immediately ,will help you a lot also when it comes to consecutive interpreting.
Another idea is to create your own symbols you feel most comfortable with and whic
... See more
Hi Elaine, and welcome to Proz!
Maybe you could tell us a bit more about your background? Do you have a degree in interpretation??? Have you alread gained some experience???
Personally I hold that doing a lot of AD HOC interpretation(sight translation) exercises,i.e. when reading online some news and translating them immediately ,will help you a lot also when it comes to consecutive interpreting.
Another idea is to create your own symbols you feel most comfortable with and which you can easily remember.
Furthermore, try and use online speeches from the EU which are not only good for simultaneous but also for consecutive.
Antother rather new forum where you can exchange with colleagues you can find at:
http://www.linguanet.org/Interpretingindex.htm, launched by Marion Sadoux (hopefully I got her name right:))).
If you click on: http://www.linguanet.org/interpretingexercises3.htm
You will find a list of exercises

Given that your working language is Italian, have a look at the thread "il lavoro dell'interprete" in the Italian forum:)))

[Edited at 2005-10-27 13:34]

[Edited at 2005-10-27 13:35]

I am also curious about further tips from colleagues:)))

HTH

[Edited at 2005-10-27 14:08]
Collapse

Silvia Baldi (X)
Silvia Baldi (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
A few tips Oct 27, 2005

Ciao,

here are a few tips:

- start with "monolingual" consecutive translation. Listen to a speech in your native language, write down your notes, then try to do some reformulation exercises into your native language. This will increase your confidence in reading your notes quickly and broaden your vocabulary.

- take a moment to think about your note-taking technique. You can write a lot, or use only a few written elements - the important thing is that what
... See more
Ciao,

here are a few tips:

- start with "monolingual" consecutive translation. Listen to a speech in your native language, write down your notes, then try to do some reformulation exercises into your native language. This will increase your confidence in reading your notes quickly and broaden your vocabulary.

- take a moment to think about your note-taking technique. You can write a lot, or use only a few written elements - the important thing is that what you write is CLEAR to you. it's easy to get confused with similar words (like "project", "plan", "process") but you need to make your own way through them with your own system of symbols.

- sight translation is also very useful. try to use a tape recorder and listen to yourself afterwards, or ask a friend to help you.

- another useful technique to begin with consecutive interpreting is to start listening to one single sentence at a time. listen to it, take your notes, then STOP the tape recorder and try and translate the sentence. seems like a "slow" way to begin, but you gain confidence in what you're saying, you feel no pressure to take notes hastily, and you learn how to do it THINKING about what you're writing down.

scribbling a few words on the paper is useless if you have not understood the concept itself.

let me know how it goes and good luck!
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
Concepts. Oct 27, 2005

Think in concepts, not words. Note only data, names of towns, titles etc... and connecting words/consec.symbols.
Recreate the concepts in your own words, but be careful not to give your own meaning in the target language. The content has to reflect what the speaker said.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:35
English to Spanish
Agree with Kurt Oct 28, 2005

Having taken the Federal Court Interpreter examination after studying with the ACEBO materials, I have to agree with Kurt that they are magical, money well invested.

As for note taking, very few, I find it distracting and interfering with listening and memorizing.

The other important advice is: practice, practice, practice. You cannot expect to plunge into this endeavor without having practiced a lot and having the feeling you master the technique.

Good l
... See more
Having taken the Federal Court Interpreter examination after studying with the ACEBO materials, I have to agree with Kurt that they are magical, money well invested.

As for note taking, very few, I find it distracting and interfering with listening and memorizing.

The other important advice is: practice, practice, practice. You cannot expect to plunge into this endeavor without having practiced a lot and having the feeling you master the technique.

Good luck!
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use technology! Oct 28, 2005

A digital audio recorder with immediate playback is a great asset.
This works for me because I feel much more comfortable doing simultaneous than consecutive interpreting. However, there are situations in which I'm forced to do consecutive translation, and for those times, this works fairly well.

You basically record the segment spoken by the speaker, and if it's too long to remember everything, as soon as he stops, you put the recorder to your ear (should be small and inco
... See more
A digital audio recorder with immediate playback is a great asset.
This works for me because I feel much more comfortable doing simultaneous than consecutive interpreting. However, there are situations in which I'm forced to do consecutive translation, and for those times, this works fairly well.

You basically record the segment spoken by the speaker, and if it's too long to remember everything, as soon as he stops, you put the recorder to your ear (should be small and inconspicuous), replay and translate simultaneously from that. Alternatively, I've thought of the possibility of actually recording the translation in real time, then replaying the translation for everyone to hear, but I have yet to try that.

The advantage of a digital recorder is that there's no tape to rewind and you can play only the segments you really need, i.e., some segments will be short enough to translate directly.

Of course you need to practice using it ahead of time, you don't want to be fumbling it with it in front of 500 people!

A couple of things that have also worked well for me:

1. Talk to the speaker ahead of time. Most of them will offer to stop after a couple of sentences, though many of them forget once they have the microphone in their hands. Give them a brief explanation of the mechanics of the process and tell them where you'll be standing (try to stand within their field of vision so you can signal to them if they go on for too long).

2. If at all possible, ask if there will be any names or figures that will be mentioned during the speech. I find these to be the most troublesome when trying to get the facts right.

3. As the speaker talks, rather than taking notes, I like to mentally interpret what's being said into the target language.

4. As Stephen Covey would say "Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood". Try to understand the meaning of what's being said, that will make it easier to translate later. Remember, you're not translating words, but ideas.

That's all I can think about for now.

Happy interpreting!

Nora
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
Booth-interpreting? Nov 3, 2005

Did you interpret in a booth where the speaker could not see you? In a booth there is no time to fumble with a device or is there?

elaine59
elaine59
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Just thanks for now Nov 9, 2005

Kurt Porter wrote:

elaine59 wrote:

This is a decent course. Good luck!