Does someone happen to know where the EU rates for interpreters could be found?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dec 3, 2005

I'm looking for the daily rates paid by the EU to simultan intepreters.

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
English to French
+ ...
www.aiic.net Dec 4, 2005

You may want to try this site

www.aiic.net

association internationale des interprètes de conférence

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I found this link... Dec 4, 2005

http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/personnel_administration/officials_en.htm#4

Click on "salary table" and you get indications mainly for officials. Interpreters may be officials or freelancers. It's not very clear and I did not check it further, but you might get from there to the rates for freelancers as well.

If you want to read the documen
... See more
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/personnel_administration/officials_en.htm#4

Click on "salary table" and you get indications mainly for officials. Interpreters may be officials or freelancers. It's not very clear and I did not check it further, but you might get from there to the rates for freelancers as well.

If you want to read the document in another language, type in the link above your language code instead of _en.

HTH!
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Rates for free-lance interpreters at EU offices Dec 9, 2005

Sometimes pre-Christmas ordering of papers yields unexpected results ... I just came across "Convention fixant les conditions de travail et le regime pecuniaire des interpreters ...". So, here it goes:
- experienced interpreter - daily rate: 1/20 of a monthly salary for LA4 group of officials, bracket 5.
- inexperienced (no definition ...) - 72% of that.
Plus an extra for working outside your normal place of business, i.e. >60 km away (if applicable)
Plus board, if necess
... See more
Sometimes pre-Christmas ordering of papers yields unexpected results ... I just came across "Convention fixant les conditions de travail et le regime pecuniaire des interpreters ...". So, here it goes:
- experienced interpreter - daily rate: 1/20 of a monthly salary for LA4 group of officials, bracket 5.
- inexperienced (no definition ...) - 72% of that.
Plus an extra for working outside your normal place of business, i.e. >60 km away (if applicable)
Plus board, if necessary, plus travel cost reimbursement against tickets.
Plus you pay the EU tax of 15% and are exempted from the national tax.
And you get 50% of a single day rate if you are not needed after all.
The above is a summary of just a mere 14 pages of the French text. Wonder if any free-lancer has ever read it in full

[Edited at 2005-12-09 23:20]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Iza Dec 10, 2005

I was so far - though I still don´t know how much it is.
I cannot pay in % in our shops - we need Euros...

Merry Christmas
Jerzy

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Percentages and euros :-) Dec 10, 2005

Hola

«Category A officials are responsible for administrative and advisory duties, category B officials executive duties, category C officials secretarial and clerical duties and category D officials manual or service duties. Translators and interpreters are categorised separately in a Language Service designated by the letters LA»

You may want to see th
... See more
Hola

«Category A officials are responsible for administrative and advisory duties, category B officials executive duties, category C officials secretarial and clerical duties and category D officials manual or service duties. Translators and interpreters are categorised separately in a Language Service designated by the letters LA»

You may want to see this chart:

http://www.eu-careers.com/workingfortheeu.htm

A principal translator/interpreter is an A4 - A5 equivalent.
LA3 corresponds to a Head of Translation or Interpretation Unit.

The salary for an interpreter is +3800 euro per month, plus benefits. Now, freelancers may end up making more. Let us not forget that interpreters/translators may be able to pay the 15% EU tax and then be waived of their country tax.

You may want to contact Peter Javorcík. He is in the Cabinet of the Commissioner and is a mmeber of the DG Interpreting: [email protected] Since he deals with students progrmas (Erasmus), I am sure he could be of help.

Cheers,

JL
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas Gracias Dec 10, 2005

and Merry X-Mas plus a happy New Year, Jose

Best
Jerzy

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
LA grades no longer exist... Dec 13, 2005

Just to complicate things, the LA grades for linguists have been abolished within the EU, and the entire grading system has been overhauled.

Until 30 April 2006, a temporary "transitional" grading system has been set up, with translators and interpreters falling within the general "A*" administrator category. As of 1 May 2006, A* grades will become "AD" grades. It's complicated, as the numbering system for the grades has also changed.

There's more information on workin
... See more
Just to complicate things, the LA grades for linguists have been abolished within the EU, and the entire grading system has been overhauled.

Until 30 April 2006, a temporary "transitional" grading system has been set up, with translators and interpreters falling within the general "A*" administrator category. As of 1 May 2006, A* grades will become "AD" grades. It's complicated, as the numbering system for the grades has also changed.

There's more information on working as an interpreter for the EU here: http://europa.eu.int/interpretation/index_en.htm

I think Iza gave you the best explanation of the current pay scale - if you want to read the whole document in French you can find it here:
http://europa.eu.int/interpretation/doc/conv_2004_fr.pdf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does someone happen to know where the EU rates for interpreters could be found?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »