https://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting/40577-new_york_court_interpretation_exam.html

New York Court Interpretation Exam
Thread poster: liafriedman
liafriedman
liafriedman
English to Spanish
Dec 23, 2005

Hello everyobody.

I have just signed into the website. Happy holidays to everyone.

I would like to know if anybody from this forum has taken the last NY writen exam to become an interpretor for the Superior Court in NY. (september 17th)

If that is the case, have you gotten the results? They said it would take up to 3 months for them to process that information. More than 3 months have gone by and I have not received any kind of document with information a
... See more
Hello everyobody.

I would like to know if anybody from this forum has taken the last NY writen exam to become an interpretor for the Superior Court in NY. (september 17th)

If that is the case, have you gotten the results? They said it would take up to 3 months for them to process that information. More than 3 months have gone by and I have not received any kind of document with information about my results. Is there any website we can check out? Are they publick in some newspaper?

Sorry for possible typos: Iam using a French keyboard at the moment. Everything is different in it.

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Also do you know, since NY has just become a member of the so called "Consortium" if we still have take the Exam in other member states, like New Jersey in order to apply for the exams of simultaneous and conscutive interpretation?

Thank you very much in advance.

Lia F.
Collapse

denise82
denise82
German to English
NY exam Dec 23, 2005

liafriedman wrote:

Hello everyobody.

If that is the case, have you gotten the results? They said it would take up to 3 months for them to process that information. More than 3 months have gone by and I have not received any kind of document with information about my results. Is there any website we can check out? Are they publick in some newspaper?

Sorry for possible typos: Iam using a French keyboard at the moment. Everything is different in it.

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Also do you know, since NY has just become a member of the so called "Consortium" if we still have take the Exam in other member states, like New Jersey in order to apply for the exams of simultaneous and conscutive interpretation?

Thank you very much in advance.

Lia F.

teju
teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reciprocity Dec 23, 2005

All states that belong to the Consortium share standardized tests for court interpreters, which allow them to offer reciprocity. I've copied below a link to the National Center for State Courts. There's a list of all 33 states that currently belong to the Consortium, and it does not mention New York. The list was updated last in August of this year, I can't find anything that says that they have become a member recently. Maybe someone from NY can help you better.
If you look up this infor
... See more
All states that belong to the Consortium share standardized tests for court interpreters, which allow them to offer reciprocity. I've copied below a link to the National Center for State Courts. There's a list of all 33 states that currently belong to the Consortium, and it does not mention New York. The list was updated last in August of this year, I can't find anything that says that they have become a member recently. Maybe someone from NY can help you better.
If you look up this information in google, you'll see that different states require that you apply for reciprocity, while others give it to you automatically. I hope this was helpful.

[PDF] Court Interpreting Consortium Certification FAQs
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
for Consortium members to establish certification reciprocity. ... The Consortium
for State Court Interpreter Certification addresses resource shortages ...
www.ncsconline.org/D_Research/CourtInterp/Res_CtInte_ConsortCertFAQ.pdf - Similar pages - Remove result

I also found this on another site:

Some states have no certification for court interpreters. Some states test interpreters, but don’t certify them. In Florida and New York, interpreters are tested and approved by the state but are not certified by the state. New Jersey has a program for qualifying interpreters, but it is not called a certification program. Other states have multi-step certification programs – See the Consortium Survey on certification requirements.

[Edited at 2005-12-23 21:34]
Collapse

liafriedman
liafriedman
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 31, 2005

Thank you, Teju, for your reply with the link. Iam checking it out right now.

And yes, the State of New York has just joined the Consortium, according to what I heard in the seminar on the Ethics and Code of Conducts at Newark on December 2nd. But I do not know if this happened before or after I took the exam. I still havent heard anything about the results and I wonder if anyone has gotten any updated information on that matter.

Thank you very much, one more time.... See more
Thank you, Teju, for your reply with the link. Iam checking it out right now.

And yes, the State of New York has just joined the Consortium, according to what I heard in the seminar on the Ethics and Code of Conducts at Newark on December 2nd. But I do not know if this happened before or after I took the exam. I still havent heard anything about the results and I wonder if anyone has gotten any updated information on that matter.

Thank you very much, one more time.

Lia F.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York Court Interpretation Exam

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »