Thread poster: Giorgia Sessi (X)
Giorgia Sessi (X)
Giorgia Sessi (X)
Local time: 19:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 26, 2005

Hi all,

I am a conference interpreter and translator based in London, I am currently doing another job but I would like to start working in the field of my studies as soon as possible. I have a degree in conference interpreting and I moved to London a few months ago. I would be happy to start as an interpreter at trade fairs or liaison interpreter. Any suggestions from someone more experienced?
Thanks and happy new year!
Giorgia

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome! Dec 26, 2005

Hello

Welcome to this corner of the fora.

A little note as this is the first posting you make here. Please refrain from using salutations for Season's Greetings (Xmas, New Year, etc.) as it is not allowed in the site.

More on this in the Scope of Forums: www.proz.com/scope

I am just enforcing
... See more
Hello

A little note as this is the first posting you make here. Please refrain from using salutations for Season's Greetings (Xmas, New Year, etc.) as it is not allowed in the site.

I am just enforcing the rules since I am a mod.

Cheers,

JL
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Search the forums Dec 26, 2005

You should be able to find suggestions, like
http://www.proz.com/topic/37043

Best wishes,

Lucia

[Edited at 2005-12-26 17:54]

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
English
+ ...
New Years Dec 26, 2005

I don't think that New Years greetings, per se, are prohibited.

Anna Kijak
Anna Kijak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:13
Polish to English
+ ...
Forbidden greeetings Dec 28, 2005

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

Hello

I am just enforcing the rules since I am a mod.

Cheers,

JL

Is this a tiny little bit over the top? If saying "Happy New Year" to members of the forum/Proz.com community is a breach of the forum rules, then perhaps "Best wishes/All the best" at the end of messages should also be banned? After all, we wish our addressees basically the same thing in both cases... Why should wishing "all the best" at the beginning of a new year deserve to be banned or vetted?

Don't get me wrong - I'm very much in favour of setting (and enforcing) clear rules that will help us eliminate "off-topicness". www.proz.com/scope to which JL refers is clear enough for me. And nowhere does it suggest that we should refrain from wishing happy new year to forum members. Or am I wrong?

Regards -:)))

ania

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
It was just decided that... Dec 28, 2005

the greetings will be allowed «provided they are mixed in with content related to translation (art or business) and they offend no reasonable person.»

The original reason for taking so much caution was that you celebrating the Xmas Season and its religious connotation may offend me being from another creed. Now, since we are all reasonable and mature in this fora, we will not have to worry.

I am sorry if my comment sounded harsh, but at that time the site policy was "
... See more
the greetings will be allowed «provided they are mixed in with content related to translation (art or business) and they offend no reasonable person.»

The original reason for taking so much caution was that you celebrating the Xmas Season and its religious connotation may offend me being from another creed. Now, since we are all reasonable and mature in this fora, we will not have to worry.

I am sorry if my comment sounded harsh, but at that time the site policy was "no Season's greeting."

Have a great day!

JL
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started as an interpreter in London

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »