Be careful when receiving anonymous offers for interpreting jobs
Thread poster: GaryG
GaryG
GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:25
English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2006

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006012900887.html?referrer=emailarticle

This link will expire in 14 days

Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:25
German to Italian
+ ...
delicious! Jan 30, 2006

thank you for the link!

nicole

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
If you search with the word "scam" Jan 30, 2006

in the forums, you'll find numerous stories like this.

Nina

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:25
Spanish
+ ...
That translator is not a ProZ member... Jan 31, 2006

... otherwise she would've found out about that story a long time ago.

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
French to English
+ ...
I see Hassan Omar is still in business!! Jan 31, 2006

I was contacted by the same person about a year ago and his plan did not succeed as my partner and myself were very skeptical about the whole story.

I'm happy to say that he had sent me 6 letters to forward to "other victims" and we warned them, saving 6 translators both in the UK and USA from losing money.

I'm surprised he's still using the same name...

Also, one of my partner's colleagues in Dubai, checked out the address "Royal Courts" = lousy block of
... See more
I was contacted by the same person about a year ago and his plan did not succeed as my partner and myself were very skeptical about the whole story.

I'm happy to say that he had sent me 6 letters to forward to "other victims" and we warned them, saving 6 translators both in the UK and USA from losing money.

I'm surprised he's still using the same name...

Also, one of my partner's colleagues in Dubai, checked out the address "Royal Courts" = lousy block of flats near the docks and not royal at all.

Muriel
Collapse

scooty
scooty
Local time: 19:25
English to French
another scam Jan 31, 2006

I think it is the same kind of scam I received. It was from a Mr wang qin, "a chinese nationality based in Africa. "
He had my email from Translators café and when I checked who looked at my profile, the IP was indeed located in Nigeria.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Not an ATA member either? Feb 3, 2006

Caliaa wrote:

... otherwise she would've found out about that story a long time ago.

The ATA has warned members about these scams. Also the ATA chapters do the same. I thought that by now, there was not one translator/interpreter alive who would think for a second that such an email might be a real offer for services. This scam is not even new.

Khuzaie
Khuzaie
Jordan
Local time: 20:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanx Oct 7, 2006

It is really valuable, thanx so much

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be careful when receiving anonymous offers for interpreting jobs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »