Telephone Interpreting: consecutive or simultaneous?
Thread poster: Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Mar 28, 2006

I've two question about Telephone Interpreting.

The first one is about the "working way", and it's rather a question for interpreters which already work simultaneous. When you do Telephone Interpreting, do you work consecutive or simultaneous?

Sometimes during interpreting italian-polish of commercial meeting between 2 people, i "switch" to simultaneous, expecially when in the room it's no noise, and my fisical position in the room permit to ear very well
... See more
I've two question about Telephone Interpreting.

The first one is about the "working way", and it's rather a question for interpreters which already work simultaneous. When you do Telephone Interpreting, do you work consecutive or simultaneous?

Sometimes during interpreting italian-polish of commercial meeting between 2 people, i "switch" to simultaneous, expecially when in the room it's no noise, and my fisical position in the room permit to ear very well the speaker, without being disturbed from my voice..

The second question it's more techical. I'll work rather with direct clients, so they simply call me on a quasi-landline, and I'll connect with the other (polish) counterpart. So I must organize also the tecnical way of working of the stuff... The question is: should the 2 parts ear each other? Or it's enough that everyone ear me, and I ear both?

thanks

Daniele

[Edited at 2006-03-28 09:05]
Collapse

Zhijun JIANG
Zhijun JIANG  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
Accuracy is the priority Mar 28, 2006

During my telephone interpreting between English-Chinese, it's not a problem to conduct the simultaneous interpretation. But I always prefer the consecutive interpretation. Simultaneous interpretation is applicable to such situations where the listeners are not feasible to give feedback as press conference, international conference, and of course making mistake is a part of it.

But the telephone interpreting is not allowed to tolerate the mistake, in particular very important and c
... See more
During my telephone interpreting between English-Chinese, it's not a problem to conduct the simultaneous interpretation. But I always prefer the consecutive interpretation. Simultaneous interpretation is applicable to such situations where the listeners are not feasible to give feedback as press conference, international conference, and of course making mistake is a part of it.

But the telephone interpreting is not allowed to tolerate the mistake, in particular very important and critical commercial and technical conversation. I always slow down my speech and pronounce as clearly as possible to make sure each party concerned can get 100% what they are supposed to get.

For the possibility of earing each between parties concerned, I prefer to let them ear each other, which maybe brings you some noises and disturbances, but actually such two counterparts are more likely to know each other when it comes to very technical details, where my interpretation sometimes is no need at all.

All in all, accuracy is the absolute priority. Elegance is only one criteria for our job.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Telephone interpreting Mar 28, 2006

I do simultaneous conference interpreting, and I have been telephone interpreting for about 15 years. I participated in several training programmes for telephone interpretation in the first few years, but have never heard anybody mentioning simultaneous telephone interpreting.

Don't forget, there is no body language, no documentation, nothing, and often the line isn't all that good, and the other person can be in a noisy place. So you need more concentration to hear it properly, an
... See more
I do simultaneous conference interpreting, and I have been telephone interpreting for about 15 years. I participated in several training programmes for telephone interpretation in the first few years, but have never heard anybody mentioning simultaneous telephone interpreting.

Don't forget, there is no body language, no documentation, nothing, and often the line isn't all that good, and the other person can be in a noisy place. So you need more concentration to hear it properly, and perhaps make some notes of names, numbers, whatever.

As you say, you can accomodate simultaneous interpreting face to face, because the speaker and you can position yourselves and speak louder/softer. The speaker quickly realises he has to speak a little louder for you to hear, and you can talk to the recipient directly in a softer voice, but because you are close, your voice will be predominant for him, without disturbing the speaker.

On the telephone, the speaker may speak loudly, but then you have to as well, so the third party can hear you better, than him. Need I continue?

Also, people on the telephone are used to be listened to when they speak, before anyone else starts talking. Otherwise they may get confused, and then there is general confusion all around.

So it has to be consecutive interpretation. The only consequence of that is that the calls are twice as long as a normal conversation, but both parties get your full attention when they speak, you can convey their message more precisely, and don't get stressed out totally in the process.

Good luck.
Judith

[Edited at 2006-03-28 10:48]

[Edited at 2006-03-28 11:23]
Collapse

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
Polish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Mar 28, 2006

juvera wrote:

Need I continue?

No You convinced me! I also supposed that people are prepared that will be consecutive, but i just wanted to be sure!

juvera wrote:

The only consequence of that is that the calls are twice as long as normal conversation, but both parties get your full attention when they speak, you can convey their message more precisely, and don't get stressed out totally in the process.

Good luck.
Judith

Ok, i charge by time units, so if "the calls are twice as long" it's not so terrible

A do you have answer to my second question? Can be accepted by clients, that they ear ONLY ME? Or it will be strange for them?

Daniele

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why would they hear only you? Mar 28, 2006

I thought, that the length of the call may not be a disadvantage.

Why would they hear only you? They should hear the other person as well, even if they don't understand what they say. They will hear if it was a statement or a question, they will perceive the mood of the other person. Don't even think of silencing the line for the other party while you are listening!

The golden rule of interpreting - parti
... See more
I thought, that the length of the call may not be a disadvantage.

Why would they hear only you? They should hear the other person as well, even if they don't understand what they say. They will hear if it was a statement or a question, they will perceive the mood of the other person. Don't even think of silencing the line for the other party while you are listening!

The golden rule of interpreting - particularly in a consecutive interpreting situation - that both parties should be aware: whatever is said, will be interpreted. You have to tell them this at the start, as they may not be used to converse through an interpreter. Any chit-chat, asides will be conveyed to the other party as well. That is one important way to be fair and impartial. On the phone they have to listen and sense that you are not having a private conversation in-between with the other party.

Both parties have to hear the other, then listen to you and this way it is not strange at all. The only thing they have to remember, as in other consecutive interpretation situation, that they shouldn't say too much in one go. If your interpreting is going to be for the same client, he or she wil get used to it quickly. It comes naturally, they listen to the other language, and may catch a word or name or two, but they will be eager to listen to you, and wait for more, or answer back.

The best thing to do when you start interpreting for people who are not familiar to telephone interpreting, to start the call by telling them that everything said will be faithfully interpreted, but please, do not say too much at once, and wait for the interpretation. If they have questions to the other person, ask them one by one, and wait for the answer.

What I didn't mention so far that I assumed that your clients will be in different places, so you are in the middle of a three-way conference, as it is called.

There is a slightly different scenario if the other two people are together, and you are the only one not there. Then they hear each other, of course. In that case the first thing you HAVE TO establish, is the call on a speakerphone, so both of them hears YOU at once, or they each hold a handset, which is much the same. Then all I said before will apply.

But if they only have ONE telephone, and they have to pass it between them, then sometimes it makes sense to receive more information, ask two or three questions at once and for you to make more notes. You will be more in charge and may have to remind them to pass the phone back to the other party.

I am sure in that situation you wouldn't have thought of simultaneous interpretation in the first place, but I thought I'll mention it.

Judith
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone Interpreting: consecutive or simultaneous?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »