Mobile menu

Off topic: Who is the fastest speaker in your language?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 13, 2006

My posting is not strictly related to interpretation, but fits better into this forum than into others.

What I mean: Who is reported as the fastest speaker (free speech, not reading) in your language?
In Finland the former radio-tv commentator Raimo Häyrinen is holding the record with 471 words per minute.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Jenner
Local time: 23:35
French to English
+ ...
Wow.... Apr 13, 2006

No idea who it is for the English language, but is he even understandable at that speed?!

Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:35
English to Romanian
Interesting topic Apr 13, 2006

I wish I knew

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:35
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know his name... Apr 13, 2006

... but in my local radio station there's an advertisement for a bank credit and at the end the guy speaks so fast about the conditions (things that are not important for people to know, because it may not be as advantageous as they say in the ad) that I doubt one can understand what he says.

I don't, anyway.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Johnny Lever Apr 13, 2006

Johnny Lever is a comedian of Hindi movies, sometimes he adopts rapid speech to incite laughter, and he can be fast!

The other side of the question is also interesting: Who is the slowest speaker in your language.

As far as Hindi is concerned, not many Hindi speakers will have any problem in selecting our former Prime Minister Atalbihari Vajpeyi as the winner.

He is famous (infamous?) for the long pauses between his words, and sometimes (or so say wags) during these pauses, he himself forgets the link with the words spoken earlier and goes off on a tangent on a new topic!

[Edited at 2006-04-13 16:40]

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TWISTA Apr 13, 2006

He is a rapper, and he is the fastest in the world!

Twista was named the fastest rapper in the Guiness Book Of World Records in 1992 (and I believe he ss still undefeated)

You can call him the fastest MC in hip-hop history, the man with the flawless flow or simply the Chi-Town legend.

for furter info, go to

If you never listened hip hop or rap music in your life, you are long overdue!

Andy Watkinson
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sevillano, anyone? Apr 14, 2006

"In Finland the former radio-tv commentator Raimo Häyrinen is holding the record with 471 words per minute."

Of course, speed is not really a question of words - the Germans would then be among the slowest speakers in the world.

It's really about the number of syllables uttered per minute. And in that case my vote would go to Andalusians in general, and Sevillanos in particular.

The sound of an AK47 is slow in comparison.

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
I'm sure TWISTA is sexier, Apr 14, 2006

but here in Germany, Dieter Thomas Heck is/was often referred to as the (literally) rapid speaker of the nation (Schnellsprecher der Nation). Whether there's any truth in that is another matter.

Happy Easter to all,

Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Horse race commentators and auctioneers Apr 14, 2006

I guess two professions that have more than their fair share of fast talkers are horse racing commentators and auctioneers.

Sir Peter O'Sullivan, a former horse racing commentator for the BBC Television, was renowned for his fast, accurate and above all perfectly understandable live commentaries of the UK's famous Grand National.

Cattle market auctionners the world over are fast talkers - but whether their words are intelligible is quite another matter ...

Tam Tran Thi Le
Local time: 04:35
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Fast speaker in a conference Jun 26, 2008

Dear all, this is provided by my english teacher, check it out

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is the fastest speaker in your language?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs