What are the rates for interpreting as a "business gateway"?
Thread poster: Eloïse Notet-Gilet
Eloïse Notet-Gilet
Eloïse Notet-Gilet
France
Local time: 10:26
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
May 10, 2006

I am a graduate translator in German, English and Italian (french mother tongue) and I have some experience in interpreting (on fairs especially). I am at the time negotiating a daily rate with a new french client (private) who is proposing me the following job: he is seeking for new distributors in Europe and in the US, and wants to travel between 10 and 20 days in each country, to meet and select some of them... and he needs an interpreter both in German and English to deal with the distributo... See more
I am a graduate translator in German, English and Italian (french mother tongue) and I have some experience in interpreting (on fairs especially). I am at the time negotiating a daily rate with a new french client (private) who is proposing me the following job: he is seeking for new distributors in Europe and in the US, and wants to travel between 10 and 20 days in each country, to meet and select some of them... and he needs an interpreter both in German and English to deal with the distributors ..
He asked me what my rate (a daily one) would be for accompany him in his travels (10 to 20 days each!), given that he proposes to pay all costs (airplane, hotel, food etc.).
I could imagine how much I would ask for a mission of 1 or 2 days.. but for one week or two weeks, no idea!!
All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Start calculating May 11, 2006

You say:" I could imagine how much I would ask for a mission of 1 or 2 days.. but for one week or two weeks, no idea".

It seems you must have some idea of a daily rate in your area of the world. You should also have an idea of what you might be making at home if you did not go on these trips.

Whatever those figures are, use them as a basis. Then if there are other considerations (missing your family, other commitments, etc.) then you might want to add something. This wo
... See more
You say:" I could imagine how much I would ask for a mission of 1 or 2 days.. but for one week or two weeks, no idea".

It seems you must have some idea of a daily rate in your area of the world. You should also have an idea of what you might be making at home if you did not go on these trips.

Whatever those figures are, use them as a basis. Then if there are other considerations (missing your family, other commitments, etc.) then you might want to add something. This would also include possible dissatisfied clients you would not be able to serve while absent.

If, on the other hand, you really welcome the travel and the prospect of these all-expense paid trips, you could perhaps reduce the figure somewhat to make your offer more attractive.

As a general rule you would want to include all the days you are gone, no weekends or holidays taken into account. On the other hand, you would need to be available to work whenever necessary and at all hours.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the rates for interpreting as a "business gateway"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »