How to become an interpreter?
Thread poster: alayasin
alayasin
alayasin
Local time: 21:31
French to English
Jun 8, 2006

I am a recent language graduate from university and was wondering whether i could get any advice on how to become an interpreter.... do i need to do a masters in interpreting for example?
Thanks.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not overnight Jun 8, 2006

By adding another language to your language combination and trying to get accepted/pass the admission tests of ISIT,ESIT, Westminster, ETI, and other schools of interpreting with a good reputation.
Unlike it is the case with translation you can not become an interpreter overnight without basic training.

[Edited at 2006-06-08 11:38]

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
English to French
+ ...
One response Jun 8, 2006

Yes, you definitely need training to become an interpreter. Some professional interpreters disagree with that. I attended a one-year comprehensive course in interpreting in Dublin City University (unfortunately the course no longer exists). I do not think I would have had the confidence to start a career as a conference interpreter without it. Every morning we would have simultaneous interpreting training performed in real booths and we used recordings of real conferences as training material. E... See more
Yes, you definitely need training to become an interpreter. Some professional interpreters disagree with that. I attended a one-year comprehensive course in interpreting in Dublin City University (unfortunately the course no longer exists). I do not think I would have had the confidence to start a career as a conference interpreter without it. Every morning we would have simultaneous interpreting training performed in real booths and we used recordings of real conferences as training material. Each of our "performances" were recorded then assessed and commented upon by our teachers -who were professional interpreters- and classmates. We were also trained to note taking for consecutive and videoed while were interpreting. On top of that we had regular seminars with professional interpreters (one with the head of the interpreting team of the EU commission) and classes on European institutions. One of our teachers also once took us to a conference on which she was working. That was an excellent training. But it is a bit like learning to drive. After passing your driving licence, you still "cannot drive" if you see what I mean...It is the same with interpreting. I did a few "traineeships" after obtaining my diploma (ex:dummy booth in a "real" conference). It helped me learn the job on the field. Now I am working as a professional interpreter but still going through a learning process. When you work on a conference, you always go through that process of learning (techniques and so on...)There always new things to learn.Collapse

alayasin
alayasin
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 8, 2006

thanks for your advice..... I will look into local courses asap!

Stephanie Diaz
Stephanie Diaz
English to Spanish
Check the AIIC website Jun 23, 2006

Hi!
The International Association of Conference Interpreters website has excelent advice for students who want to be conference interpreters, new interpreters, seasoned interpreters and even for users of interpretation services.

check this article for instance:
http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article25.htm

Greetings,
Stephanie

[Edited at 2
... See more
Hi!
The International Association of Conference Interpreters website has excelent advice for students who want to be conference interpreters, new interpreters, seasoned interpreters and even for users of interpretation services.

check this article for instance:
http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article25.htm

Greetings,
Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-06-23 18:42]

[Editado a las 2006-06-24 00:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become an interpreter?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »