Mobile menu

Growing demand of interpreters in the USA
Thread poster: Ruben Berrozpe
Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jul 24, 2006

This piece of news appeared in the Yahoo main page today.

"... Interpreters trained in medical terminology, especially those speaking Spanish, are in high demand as the country's population becomes more and more diverse, said Cindy Roat of the American Translators Association. The boom in Hispanic population has led to the Spanish demand, but there's short supply of speakers of other languages as well..."

URL:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060723/ap_on_he_me/apn_spanish_interpreters

Rb

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
It seems to be the case Jul 24, 2006

However, one time I was watching job announcements from Phoenix, AZ for various positions in hospitals, and guess what... the salary for a healthcare interpreter was less than for a janitor.

We have a long way to go.

Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
If the laws of the market work... Jul 24, 2006

... that should eventually change. It's funny how you sometimes find employers supposedly "desperate" to find workers but unwilling to pay for what they're worth. Over here in Spain it's still common among employees in certain sectors to feel like they've been 'graciously' granted the possibility to work for a ridiculous wage.

But I'm drifting off topic here...

Rb

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dios te oiga Jul 25, 2006

...te dé muchos hijos y con qué mantenerlos. En todos lados cuecen habas. Saludos...

Cristina Golab  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
How sad! Jul 31, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

However, one time I was watching job announcements from Phoenix, AZ for various positions in hospitals, and guess what... the salary for a healthcare interpreter was less than for a janitor.

We have a long way to go.

That's because the profession is still so underestimated. Last year as I waited for my appointment in a hospital, one of the nurses came to ask if someone among the patients could serve as an interpreter. Some lady offered to do so, I just could not believe that!
In Maryland there is (supposed to be) this new legislation that states that public service entities such as schools, hospitals, police stations, etc should have "qualified" interpreters available and public information translated into other languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Growing demand of interpreters in the USA

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs