Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Aug 10, 2006

Hi everyone, I am learning about interpreting for the Metroplitan police in the UK. I was told to get the Police and Criminal Evidence Act to learn about terminology and other aspects of policing. My questions are: 1. IS PACE the best source for learnign about Police terminology?
2. I checked the Aazon.com, they have PACE A-F and Pace A-G. What is the difference? which one should I get? thank you for you help

Lenah

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Police terminology Aug 10, 2006

Hello Lenah,

The more recent version of the Codes of Practice contains Code G which relates to the criteria the police must consider when exercising their power of arrest under s24 PACE, which was amended by the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005.

If you are going to buy the Codes of Practice you might as well buy the most up-to-date version.

Police terminology comes from a variety of sources, not just from legislation.

You might have
... See more
Hello Lenah,

The more recent version of the Codes of Practice contains Code G which relates to the criteria the police must consider when exercising their power of arrest under s24 PACE, which was amended by the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005.

If you are going to buy the Codes of Practice you might as well buy the most up-to-date version.

You might have a look at the Police Training Manual, 10th edition (2003), Jack English, also available on Amazon.

Good luck with the test!

Alan
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PACE-A-G Aug 10, 2006

[quote]KLS wrote:

"If you are going to buy the Codes of Practice you might as well buy the most up-to-date version.

You might have a look at the Police Training Manual, 10th edition (2003), Jack English, also available on Amazon."

thanks for the advice!

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Internet help Aug 12, 2006

Hello Lenah,

You can find PACE on the internet, but I suppose if you buy it, it is easier to carry it around, study it on the tube, etc.

What I would also recommend is to look at Police Glossary UK on the internet. I am not talking about a specific glossary, but if you google the above collection of words, you will find wast number of glossaries. Pick a few, and study them. They may come very useful.

I have some advise for the exam. The written translation
... See more
Hello Lenah,

You can find PACE on the internet, but I suppose if you buy it, it is easier to carry it around, study it on the tube, etc.

What I would also recommend is to look at Police Glossary UK on the internet. I am not talking about a specific glossary, but if you google the above collection of words, you will find wast number of glossaries. Pick a few, and study them. They may come very useful.

I have some advise for the exam. The written translation had three different texts when I did it, and I think it is important to do at least some parts of all three. You have to work fairly fast. If you finished one part and you think that you could finish the second, but then you wouldn't have the time to do the third, it is better to leave the second unfinished and do some of the third part as well instead.
Although you may not have this problem, because at the time I did it, they really gave us ridiculous amount to do for the allocated time and we kicked up a fuss, and signed a complaint.
I expect they are a bit more reasonable now, but as I passed anyway, I didn't have the chance to experience it again.

The interpreting test is OK, if you are experienced. The simultaneous interpreting is the one which can throw people, but it is not impossible. You have to do it into your mother tongue, so you can practice on the news on TV, or something similar.

Good luck
Judith
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
police glossary Sep 4, 2006

[quote]juvera wrote:

Thanks for the advice! really appreciate it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PACE

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »